DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Tele lens Great for Daytime Legal surveillance operations?

We have tried everything under the sun to read boat regs and License plates from a safe distance , it not going well.
Advanced editing , trying different zoom approaches and Zooming in on pictures just shy of being able for Identification .

If the Software update fixes that , this will be legit.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water
I see the link to the Phantomrain gear.
Is this a good product?
I had to stand down in the bush quite a lot because of rain, and if these help, that would be great
Thanks

I see the link to the Phantomrain gear.
Is this a good product?
I had to stand down in the bush quite a lot because of rain, and if these help, that would be great
Thanks
The Wet Suit for the Mavic 3 are designed to be able to fly in the Rain every day if need be. There are a couple good videos of the Mavic 3 in action in the Rain and On the Water. Choose your weapon.

2021-12-10_15h33_20.png

N

This is the type of equipment police use, then again Canada isn’t a 3rd world country. Mavics are useless for police work or rescue work. They need all weather industrial drones, not cheap hobby consumer drones.

Police departments are all separate entities for different cities, countys, state and even quasi-state entities. They all have different sized budgets and priorities towards sUAS budgets. Our PD for our city currently only have Mavic 2 Pros but have seen enough ROI to now plan a purchase for a Matrice 300 RTK.

The FD I work for in this city started with an Evo 1 and Mavic 2 ED, but have added an Evo 2 Dual, and just received our Matrice 300 RTK last week. Other agencies in our area do not have programs is this is mostly due to the large investment needed to start a program.

For some agencies budgets may dictate no drone program or the use of low cost prosumer drones. When your drone program shows value and a ROI, this opens up the allotment of greater funds towards the program.
Unfortunately, budgetary issues make some agencies have to use aircraft that do not fit the criteria of the proposed mission. There are a lot of factors in the background about what drone an agency uses.

I do not think Mavics are useless. PD can use this when searching for a suspect so as to not place their personnel in danger. Over fences, around corners. The Mavic 2 Pro makes a very nice 3D model or 2D orthomap to document crime scenes. Any drone makes a very nice aerial camera that can livestream back to a Command Post incidents for a larger picture of the scene. While thermal is a great tool for SAR, even thermal can have trouble finding people, especially dead people or in environments where the person is the same temperature as the ground.

For Fire a thermal sensor is preferred, but alot of uses above are the same. A constant 360 degree scene size up as the drone orbits the scene. Overwatch of rescue operations for safety. A simple $50 drop kit lets us drop a cell phone to a stranded person.

But yes, that lack of all weather performance is a limiting factor and that was a big reason we were able to justify the need for the Matrice 300 RTK. We did find prosumer drones to have pluses and minuses and our older less capable drones still have a home in our fleet and will continue to do so.

Police departments are all separate entities for different cities, countys, state and even quasi-state entities. They all have different sized budgets and priorities towards sUAS budgets. Our PD for our city currently only have Mavic 2 Pros but have seen enough ROI to now plan a purchase for a Matrice 300 RTK.

The FD I work for in this city started with an Evo 1 and Mavic 2 ED, but have added an Evo 2 Dual, and just received our Matrice 300 RTK last week. Other agencies in our area do not have programs is this is mostly due to the large investment needed to start a program.

For some agencies budgets may dictate no drone program or the use of low cost prosumer drones. When your drone program shows value and a ROI, this opens up the allotment of greater funds towards the program.
Unfortunately, budgetary issues make some agencies have to use aircraft that do not fit the criteria of the proposed mission. There are a lot of factors in the background about what drone an agency uses.

I do not think Mavics are useless. PD can use this when searching for a suspect so as to not place their personnel in danger. Over fences, around corners. The Mavic 2 Pro makes a very nice 3D model or 2D orthomap to document crime scenes. Any drone makes a very nice aerial camera that can livestream back to a Command Post incidents for a larger picture of the scene. While thermal is a great tool for SAR, even thermal can have trouble finding people, especially dead people or in environments where the person is the same temperature as the ground.

For Fire a thermal sensor is preferred, but alot of uses above are the same. A constant 360 degree scene size up as the drone orbits the scene. Overwatch of rescue operations for safety. A simple $50 drop kit lets us drop a cell phone to a stranded person.

But yes, that lack of all weather performance is a limiting factor and that was a big reason we were able to justify the need for the Matrice 300 RTK. We did find prosumer drones to have pluses and minuses and our older less capable drones still have a home in our fleet and will continue to do so.
Mavics are toy drones, that’s my opinion take it or leave it. Where I live it’s the go to drone for real estate photography and hobbyists.

Mavics are toy drones, that’s my opinion take it or leave it. Where I live it’s the go to drone for real estate photography and hobbyists.
I take your opinion and agree with it. I wish there were more people like you pressuring to provide the funds to obtain a more fitting sUAS solution (Wind resistance, IP Rating, better sensors).

But the Mavic 2 EA offers a very affordable option for 640 rez thermal, zoom and RTK positioning. The lack of an IP rating really hurts, but this solution is hard to argue against for the low cost of investment. I have found that it really does its assigned missions very well along with our Evo 2 Dual.

I think there is a massive plus for stills with the 7x lens that not many people are talking about. How often do you send your drone up and the area of the scene you want to capture is too far away. The wide angle lens is not great in these cases. The 7x is probably going to be too strong but you want something midway between the 7x and full wide angle.

So why not just (for stills) take a grid of images with the 7x then stitch them together using something like PTGUI or Microsoft ICE. Technically there will be images you can capture of scenes say requiring only 2x or 3x that will have an overall resolution greater than the standard lens and 4/3 sensor as you are effectively taking your half inch sensor and turning it into a 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 inch sensor. In theory you should be able to capture some stunningly detailed images.

If anybody wants to have a crack at this and post some original files I would love to have a go at stitching and see the result. It's the 7x magnification (something we have never had before) that allows you to do this. I'm always using my SLR to do similar things on the ground for shots that you need big prints from. Just take a grid using a100mm or 200mm lens stitch them and whallah! Massive resolution. Only caveat is you need a stationery subject and reasonable stable lighting but you get this a lot when up in the air.

I was about to push the button on the Lite+ but this functionality with the 7x lens opens up (I think) huge possibilities for the M3, I just need to test it first...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
There is one on FB stitch 5 or 6 together ... here if it comes across. I plan to try it this week.

Cheers, Jon

A lot of us have made a lot of money with toy drones such as the M2P! I have already paid for my M3C with a few days of work.
I paid for my M3 the day I bought it😉

I’m only guessing here, but I suspect a lot of money to you is different then what I perceive as a lot of money.

Enjoy your toy fly safe.

There is one on FB stitch 5 or 6 together ... here if it comes across. I plan to try it this week.

Cheers, Jon
Cheers. That link didn't fly. Would be very interested to see what you come up with.

This Justin Barr's image on FB DJI Mavic 3 Page.

Cheers, Jon
View attachment 143479
I think this is just a straight horizontal pano so vertical resolution still whatever the 7x is. Would be really good to see a grid of shots taken with the 7x say 7x5 as the resolution should be stunning! If this just a straight pano still not bad at all though.

I think this is just a straight horizontal pano so vertical resolution still whatever the 7x is. Would be really good to see a grid of shots taken with the 7x say 7x5 as the resolution should be stunning! If this just a straight pano still not bad at all though.
He says it is 5-6 7x images stitched ... I am also sure it is downsized ... contact him & talk to him!

Cheers, Jon

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55