DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Third Firmware update?

I don't understand the debate on RAW or not... use or don't use. It's a sensor and it has the capability to capture RAW if FW permitted. Many don't use RAW on M2P or M3 now... it's a choice. To me the RAW is independent of the Quality, it's the ability to work with the image better in post. Using De-Noise & Sharpen tools work better with RAW images... often producing very satisfying results.

If we step back just a short period of time (years), it'd be considered a great mini-telephoto aerial lens capable of producing beautiful images. It's defiantly not a MFT, but it's still a nice useable lens & sensor. With recent FW updates, it looks capable to be helpful for various inspection images... again those can be enhanced with RAW Tools.

The Hasselblad site... highlighted section out of detail... indicates it's a useable lens: "creative possibilities".
** subsection from Web Paragraph **
Mavic 3’s second camera features a 162mm tele lens with 28x Hybrid Zoom (digital + optical) and aperture of f/4.4 that can freely bring distant objects visually closer, offering the user more dynamic perspectives and creative possibilities at a distance. The new Vision Detection Auto Focus technology for quick focusing allows the Hasselblad camera to work with multiple vision sensors on board to capture distance data to optimize focusing speed.

I'd gladly accept any enhancements for the M3, many I probably wouldn't appreciate until presented.
I'd really like to see SDK get into the hands of 3rd Party Developers to get the M3 Map Ready!
Next I'd like to see the Wide Angle Lens gain a few lens correction profiles in LR, On1, DXO.
I’ll just say this, the second camera isn’t 28x anything. I won’t elaborate on that because this discussion isn’t important. There is no optical zoom on either camera.

I’ll just say this, the second camera isn’t 28x anything. I won’t elaborate on that because this discussion isn’t important. There is no optical zoom on either camera.
I'd agree, I pondered what Hybrid Telephoto meant too... it does site on DJI Digital 4X zoom.

Although, in my view... it's a 1/2" Sensor, 4K@30, and 12mb images. If it didn't have a MFT below it, I'd view it as a decent camera and I'd expect RAW images.

My vote (if it really mattered) is RAW on both cameras.

The second camera is still a 7x telephoto lens on the same sensor specs as the Mini 2, namely 1/2” sensor, 4K@30fps video, 12MB stills.

I'd agree, I pondered what Hybrid Telephoto meant too... it does site on DJI Digital 4X zoom.

Although, in my view... it's a 1/2" Sensor, 4K@30, and 12mb images. If it didn't have a MFT below it, I'd view it as a decent camera and I'd expect RAW images.

If it really mattered what any of us thought the M3 would have one 4/3rds camera sensor with 4x optical zoom. The reason it doesn’t we’re supposed to assume, is because it’s impossible? DJI is playing marketing games that’s why it doesn’t. There is no way I’m ever buying another DJI drone, tired of playing the DJI game.

Original Mavic Pro: 1/2.3" sensor, 12MP.
Mavic 3 7X zoom : 1/2" sensor, 12MP.

The original Mavic Pro supports RAW. With a bigger and newer sensor, there is absolutely no reason Mavic 3's telephoto camera should not.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
On a related track... Telephoto camera - Hybird

I hadn't really tuned into the Telephoto camera much.
Reading on the M3 Telephoto Camera. It states "hybrid" in both Hasselblad & DJI material and some 3rd Party material indicates it uses primary camera up to 4x, then switches to the Telephoto to continue on up to 28x. The manual under Telephoto section states 4X Digital but we've all seen 7X and reference up to 28X.

Has anybody determined what the "Hybird" means? Is is using both cameras, is it using a mix of optical & digital? Several sources aren't clear, and some also indicate it's using a mixture of optical & digital.

Little confusing information on the Telephoto.

On a related track... Telephoto camera - Hybird

I hadn't really tuned into the Telephoto camera much.
Reading on the M3 Telephoto Camera. It states "hybrid" in both Hasselblad & DJI material and some 3rd Party material indicates it uses primary camera up to 4x, then switches to the Telephoto to continue on up to 28x. The manual under Telephoto section states 4X Digital but we've all seen 7X and reference up to 28X.

Has anybody determined what the "Hybird" means? Is is using both cameras, is it using a mix of optical & digital? Several sources aren't clear, and some also indicate it's using a mixture of optical & digital.

Little confusing information on the Telephoto.
Telephoto is a fixed 7x. Primary camera is a fixed 1x.
Any zoom above 1x and between 1x and 4x is on the primary camera and is digital.
Any zoom above 7x and between 7x and 28x is on the 7x telephoto and is digital.
There is no zoom between 4x and 7x.
Essentially, both the primary 1x and the 7x telephoto each offer a 4x digital zoom on their respective optical lenses.

Any zoom above 1x and between 1x and 4x is on the primary camera and is digital.
Essentially, both the primary 1x and the 7x telephoto each offer a 4x digital zoom on their respective optical lenses.
Gotcha, thanks for explanation. I was assuming that but wasn't seeing reference to confirm.

It’s a stupid way to configure a drone, and hopefully we don’t see this again. It’s a drone not a smart phone. All they had to do was give some optical zoom to the main camera, but no, DJI went all weird.

All they had to do was give some optical zoom to the main camera, but no, DJI went all weird.
Yes, the secondary lens is pretty weird and not what anyone was asking for.
But it to provide optical zoom for the 4/3 camera would have required a much bigger/heavier/more expensive lens.
It probably couldn't have been carried by a small folding drone like the M3.

It’s a stupid way to configure a drone, and hopefully we don’t see this again. It’s a drone not a smart phone. All they had to do was give some optical zoom to the main camera, but no, DJI went all weird.
Not sure why you feel that way. I'm very happy with it! It's similar to the M2E where it combines a telephoto camera for exploration and a normal camera for detail, after flying closer, which is critical for SAR use! Adding optical zoom is far more complicated, and adds weight, when digital zoom is just as useful during flight. If you need quality images from a distance, use the optical 7x telephoto. Otherwise, fly closer with the main camera, or use the 2x digital on the main camera, which loses very little quality on a giant 4/3" sensor producing 20MP stills.

I am asking why you think a third update is coming.
Don't answer a question with a question. It's counterintuitive and clearly argumentative in this case.

The question was clean...(a yes or a no question)

Hello?

In answer to the original question, the answer is NO, a third update has not been announced by DJI yet.

Not sure why you feel that way. I'm very happy with it! It's similar to the M2E where it combines a telephoto camera for exploration and a normal camera for detail, after flying closer, which is critical for SAR use! Adding optical zoom is far more complicated, and adds weight, when digital zoom is just as useful during flight. If you need quality images from a distance, use the optical 7x telephoto. Otherwise, fly closer with the main camera, or use the 2x digital on the main camera, which loses very little quality on a giant 4/3" sensor producing 20MP stills.
I find Digital zoom nothing more then a novelty, cropping a picture on my laptop and processing it that way is much better. Digital zoom is handy for checking something out in the live feed, but to actually use it to take a photo isn’t very useful unless the person has no ability to crop. I mean, I didn’t pay $3k for a point and shoot 1/2” sensor know what I mean. Adding a few grams and a little more tech to the 4/3 sensor is the logical way to build this camera. And we know DJI has the ability to do it, because they’ve already proven it. The fact this drone has no optical zoom was done deliberately for the reason of getting us to buy the M4 in a year or 2. These are the games DJI is known for playing. All I’m saying is I for one am done playing the DJI game. Zero chance my next drone will be made by DJI, unless they bring back the P5P with interchangeable lenses, which they built then refused to mass produce it.

I find Digital zoom nothing more then a novelty, cropping a picture on my laptop and processing it that way is much better. Digital zoom is handy for checking something out in the live feed, but to actually use it to take a photo isn’t very useful unless the person has no ability to crop. I mean, I didn’t pay $3k for a point and shoot 1/2” sensor know what I mean. Adding a few grams and a little more tech to the 4/3 sensor is the logical way to build this camera. And we know DJI has the ability to do it, because they’ve already proven it. The fact this drone has no optical zoom was done deliberately for the reason of getting us to buy the M4 in a year or 2. These are the games DJI is known for playing. All I’m saying is I for one am done playing the DJI game. Zero chance my next drone will be made by DJI, unless they bring back the P5P with interchangeable lenses, which they built then refused to mass produce it.
Every smart tech company (Apple, Google, Samsung, DJI in this case all plan out what they will be releasing when they will be releasing things 5-7 years out. It's just how it works and is smart marketing. It's why these companies are giants and so successful. If you were in their shoes you'd do the same. Just saying. Nobody strong armed you into buying the M3.

The fact this drone has no optical zoom was done deliberately for the reason of getting us to buy the M4 in a year or 2. These are the games DJI is known for playing.
To most, the fact that they managed to fit a 4/3 camera onto a compact folding drone was a big advance, but for you it's part of a marketing game to get you to buy something else in a few years?
That's unusual logic.

My gripe is not that the zoom is not optical but that the tele lens won't allow RAW shooting. Even though it is an inferior sensor, if I could shoot raw for both lenses I could at least color grade them in the same way. Without that the Tele lens really does become just a "look-see" lens unless I just want to shoot non-raw at all times (which I don't). Optical zoom would be great but failing that I would expect to at least be able to use the tele lens for video and shoot RAW. I don't know what that decision was all about but the result is disappointing. I used to shoot professionally but am retired. I think the pros that got the cine version and then realized they couldn't swap out the media are the ones that really got burned. If I were a pro I would not touch the cine version with a non-swappable SSD. Getting far afield of the thread... :)

The 7x telephoto lens on the 1/2” sensor is not a digital zoom. It is entirely an optical telephoto lens at 7x. Both cameras offer an additional 4x digital zoom on top of the optical lens capability, which is then being digitally cropped. You have a choice between a 1x and a 7x telephoto, if you wish to avoid digital zoom. I'd rather have a 7x telephoto than a 2x optical zoom, given the choice. I can fly closer by half, but 7x closer? The 2x digital zoom on the 4/3 camera in Normal mode is a decent compromise, without all the extra weight and expense of an optical zoom on a 4/3 sensor drone camera.

The 7x telephoto lens on the 1/2” sensor is not a digital zoom. It is entirely an optical telephoto lens at 7x. Both cameras offer an additional 4x digital zoom on top of the optical lens capability, which is then being digitally cropped. You have a choice between a 1x and a 7x telephoto, if you wish to avoid digital zoom. I'd rather have a 7x telephoto than a 2x optical zoom, given the choice. I can fly closer by half, but 7x closer? The 2x digital zoom on the 4/3 camera in Normal mode is a decent compromise, without all the extra weight and expense of an optical zoom on a 4/3 sensor drone camera.
Yes I realize that, 1/2” 7x optical telephoto lens, not an optical zoom though. There is no optical zoom on either lens, both lenses have fixed optics. I have no interest in using a 1//2 sensor for video which is what I do, the quality isn’t enough to do a pan and crop. 2x digital zoom is no compromise for anything, I can’t use it, it’s useless for video. Digital zooming is not useful when recording, it’s only useful in post processing. I add my zooms and pans in post where they can be refined on a big screen to exactly what I want. As well, adding zoom in post gives perfectly smooth results, the M3 is not capable of smooth flowing zooms.

I have a choice of using a 5.1k 4/3 sensor or a cheap 12mp 1/2 inch sensor, that’s not a choice, I can’t work with Mavic Mini footage. Anyone serious about quality video you can work in post will find that explore footage useless, because you loose too much res when you reframe it in a pan or zoom. The only use I have for that explore camera is trying to spot wildlife, things like that, and when I do I fly to it and use the main camera to collect footage I can work with.

Recording video using digital zoom on a drone is only done when the person doesn’t know how to edit video. And there are lots of people who can’t edit video very well and they will find the digital zoom useful, no one who’s good at editing video will ever use digital zoom to record the rough footage. No one who is serious about putting out a quality project will ever use that 1/2” sensor, unless the subject is really exciting and in a spot you can’t get to.

Every smart tech company (Apple, Google, Samsung, DJI in this case all plan out what they will be releasing when they will be releasing things 5-7 years out. It's just how it works and is smart marketing. It's why these companies are giants and so successful. If you were in their shoes you'd do the same. Just saying. Nobody strong armed you into buying the M3.
No your exactly right, I knew exactly what I was buying when I bought it and I have no regrets. But I can’t see how DJI will manage to sell me an M4 in 2 years? DJI is only getting away with it due to lack of competition, not smart marketing, but that’s starting to change. Example, does Ford refuse to build the car everyone wants and wait instead because the consumer will buy anything they make? No, because if Ford doesn’t make it GM will. The consumer drone market doesn’t work off competition because DJI owns the market, which allows them to mess with the consumer. Like I said, that’s starting to change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter