DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Third Firmware update?

Yes I realize that, 1/2” 7x optical telephoto lens, not an optical zoom though. There is no optical zoom on either lens, both lenses have fixed optics. I have no interest in using a 1//2 sensor for video which is what I do, the quality isn’t enough to do a pan and crop. 2x digital zoom is no compromise for anything, I can’t use it, it’s useless for video. Digital zooming is not useful when recording, it’s only useful in post processing. I add my zooms and pans in post where they can be refined on a big screen to exactly what I want. As well, adding zoom in post gives perfectly smooth results, the M3 is not capable of smooth flowing zooms.

I have a choice of using a 5.1k 4/3 sensor or a cheap 12mp 1/2 inch sensor, that’s not a choice, I can’t work with Mavic Mini footage. Anyone serious about quality video you can work in post will find that explore footage useless, because you loose too much res when you reframe it in a pan or zoom. The only use I have for that explore camera is trying to spot wildlife, things like that, and when I do I fly to it and use the main camera to collect footage I can work with.

Recording video using digital zoom on a drone is only done when the person doesn’t know how to edit video. And there are lots of people who can’t edit video very well and they will find the digital zoom useful, no one who’s good at editing video will ever use digital zoom to record the rough footage. No one who is serious about putting out a quality project will ever use that 1/2” sensor, unless the subject is really exciting and in a spot you can’t get to.
This is exactly what the Explore mode is for, and best at:

"The only use I have for that explore camera is trying to spot wildlife, things like that, and when I do I fly to it and use the main camera to collect footage I can work with."

"unless the subject is really exciting and in a spot you can’t get to."

No your exactly right, I knew exactly what I was buying when I bought it and I have no regrets. But I can’t see how DJI will manage to sell me an M4 in 2 years? DJI is only getting away with it due to lack of competition, not smart marketing, but that’s starting to change. Example, does Ford refuse to build the car everyone wants and wait instead because the consumer will buy anything they make? No, because if Ford doesn’t make it GM will. The consumer drone market doesn’t work off competition because DJI owns the market, which allows them to mess with the consumer. Like I said, that’s starting to change.
Not really. No one else even comes close to DJI. There is no GM effectively competing against DJI. Certainly not Autel Robotics, and not Skydio either. Their marketshares are infinitesimal by comparison to DJI's. DJI also doesn't sit on their laurels, either. They continue to keep innovating, with over 8,000 engineers on staff for R&D! Everyone else pretty much just copies DJI, or goes after a very small niche market. DJI will manage to sell you an M4 without any regrets in two years time, too! Just wait! Patience, Grasshopper!

The consumer drone market doesn’t work off competition because DJI owns the market, which allows them to mess with the consumer.
The reason DJI owns the market is that they have been giving the customers products that they want and couldn't get anywhere else.
That's an unusual way to mess with the consumer.
DJI was competing and leading from the front.
No other companies were able to catch up and compete effectively.

FYI: We don't have a 3rd FW update yet, but we do have a new Fly update to 1.5.10 that fixes the GNSS issues for me. Home Point within 1 minute and 20 seconds on a cold boot. Home Point set at 10 satellites, when the satellite icon it turns from yellow to white, instead of the prior minimum of 12+. Using the RC-Pro.

Reactions: jjcombs13
"Fully" Optimized.

IMG_0621.jpg

Yup i got the same message.

I’m not home yet… to clarify.
That isn’t the Fly App, ver1.5.10 correct?

That’s new FW update, is there a Rev #?

Hadn’t seen any news / YouTube’s updates yet.

Last edited:
Not really. No one else even comes close to DJI. There is no GM effectively competing against DJI. Certainly not Autel Robotics, and not Skydio either. Their marketshares are infinitesimal by comparison to DJI's. DJI also doesn't sit on their laurels, either. They continue to keep innovating, with over 8,000 engineers on staff for R&D! Everyone else pretty much just copies DJI, or goes after a very small niche market. DJI will manage to sell you an M4 without any regrets in two years time, too! Just wait! Patience, Grasshopper!
lol this I got to see. Ya maybe they will sell me an M4, but I don’t see how the Mavic airframe can support a camera with interchangeable lenses? Ive had the I2 with the optical zoom lens, hardly ever used that lens. Fixed prime lenses are far better, so even if the M4 has 5x optical zoom I’m not interested. My next drone will be roughly the size of the Phantom, and it will have interchangeable lenses. That I can guarantee. I can’t even think of a way they can improve this M3 enough to get me to buy the 4? Only so much you can do with a point and shoot camera system.

lol this I got to see. Ya maybe they will sell me an M4, but I don’t see how the Mavic airframe can support a camera with interchangeable lenses? Ive had the I2 with the optical zoom lens, hardly ever used that lens. Fixed prime lenses are far better, so even if the M4 has 5x optical zoom I’m not interested. My next drone will be roughly the size of the Phantom, and it will have interchangeable lenses. That I can guarantee. I can’t even think of a way they can improve this M3 enough to get me to buy the 4? Only so much you can do with a point and shoot camera system.
Evolve 2 might be the platform for ya!
It does look like a nice developing platform.

Waiting to see the new Inspire 3 platform.

I'm not seeing this... I started the RC Pro & M3, downloaded & upgraded to FLY App to to 1.5.10. Checked on FW updates, nothing new. Went to the RC Pro's DJI Store... no prompts or notices.

I'm a bit lost... is this the FLY App notice, FW update or something new?
Screen clip isn't indicating what the notice is about?

"The future of possible!" ;)
Give those 8,000 engineers 2 years and they'll have your money!

iPhone notification from the DJI Store app.

DC52E3BE-AB60-4BB7-8DCD-380D0857A6AA.jpeg

It is promoting the January update…

I'm a bit lost... is this the FLY App notice, FW update or something new?
Screen clip isn't indicating what the notice is about?

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Evolve 2 might be the platform for ya!
It does look like a nice developing platform.

Waiting to see the new Inspire 3 platform.
Just sold my I2 last summer, too much work to haul around and set up. Ya the Evolve 2 might be a factor wait and see. The Inspire is too big, having had it three years I’m no longer in the market for a drone in that size range.

Here are some images I shot with that "crappy sensor". Please take a look, and decide yourself, are these images only good for "exploration" purpose?

I don't judge the quality of the sensor by price, or by some company propaganda. A sensor is a just a means to an end. To me, it is "good enough" to unleash my creative potential. If DJI add RAW support in the next update, that would make it even better.
I am with you, I would like to have raw as well. The zoom has it's place. It won't be amazing clarity but it will let you do stuff not previously possible. I personally use it for inspecting items from a safer distance. I used it for search and recovery to recover a dock that broke off in a storm. Amazing how much of the intracoastal waterway you can search and surrounding canals. I am interested in using it for some good wild life photography too. I think with the last update you can use 14x and get pretty good quality.

But in this case, they can and will make it better over time with updates. And I'm looking forward to it :)
Agreed. I bought it, fly it, enjoy it and I am confident that in another 6 months it will be a workhorse.

Reactions: redserv
The only problem with returning the drone is; you could easily end up with someone else's returned drone with possible other intermittent problems.

DJI is know for re-cycling bad equipment so move carefully!

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15