DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

I'll never understand why people really want a smart controller versus a Tripltek 7 or 8 inch 1200 nit tablet. You can use them on all drones across the board. Owning a smart controller for each manufacturer can get expensive. But I guess if you're faithful to one drone company it may make more sense. Also, The Tripltek is a phone, an android, has bluetooth, wifi and does so many other things than just one function. I can only see the logic if the money needed for an SC is an insignificant amount relative to the person's income. I know most will say it's convenient to have just one unit with a screen and no wires. I would do it if I had enough disposable income, but I am no longer in that position. I feel an SC is only for that person with a significant amount of disposable income, or a professional who's job is drones. Why an average hobbyist would by one is beyond me. Get what you like, i guess.
While I do not currently have an SC, I would like to get one with my next drone. I like the idea of being able to pull the drone out set it on the ground, pull out the SC, turn it on, and fly. Right now I have a tablet and a Lifthor mount. Brightness SUCKS(Triplek would fix that for sure) and its cumbersome. I find myself not taking my drone a lot of places because of this bulkiness. So, going forward I'd like to experiment with a more "all in one" set up.

The one thing the Tripltek stupidly doesn't have for a drone-centric tablet is HDMI out. The SC is still the only solution for that.
When do you need to mirror (via cable) your screen to an external monitor? Do you keep and use an extra monitor, to let friends or work colleges view what you are viewing?

With the tripltek/ android you can also just use screen mirroring to any WIFI capable monitor. Or any monitor with a WIFI adapter attached to it. Or, you can mirror the tripltek to a cell phone, then attach (via cable) the cell phone directly to an external monitor via a cable adapter.

Yeah, I get it. That's probably too many steps for those that like smart controllers. I find people that like SCs like the convenience of easy setup, no cables and minimal bulkiness. You just turn it on and your pretty much good to go.

There are even less expensive ways of getting a better screen for use in the field. You can forgo an SC or a Tripltek and simply use 2 cell phones and a 2000+ NIT monitor. They run between $200-300 U.S. You can use you cell phone attached to your remote, then mirror that phone's image to a cheap second cell phone, and then attach that cell phone directly to a 2000 nit external monitor via a usb or iPhone port, to an HDMI port adapter. So the remote's cell phone would be sending its screen wirelessly to a second cell phone (which doesn't need to be activated, just have WIFI on) and directly attach that to a high NIT external monitor with an HDMI cable adapter.

Just so you know, I'm not just writing this as a response to your comment. I'm also just throwing ideas out there for others in the forum who are looking for a less expensive alternative to an SC or tripltek.

I like the 2 cell phone to a 2000 NIT monitor trick. Just use your current phone and an older deactivated phone or tablet that has WIFI and attach it directly to an external monitor. I think I might try that some time. Having an inexpensive 2000 nit secondary monitor next to me would be great to have in a sunny environment.

EDIT: Here are some inexpensive screen mirroring products

Last edited:
Reactions: thispilothere
With the tripltek/ android you can also just use screen mirroring to any WIFI capable monitor. Or any monitor with a WIFI adapter attached to it. Or, you can mirror the tripltek to a cell phone, then attach (via cable) the cell phone directly to an external monitor via a cable adapter.
Screen mirroring is garbage in all terms of latency, consistency and quality, worthless kludgy workaround IMO.

With HDMI out I can connect DJI goggles and use them with unsupported models in an actually usable way, also some gigs require giving a clean, quality feed for live production.

Having HDMI out on the tripltek units would have been a worthy differentiating point.

Reactions: cgmaxed
Is it safe to assume the MP3 will use the same cumbersome DJI geofencing and unlock process as the MP2?

For the Aussie aspects.

Solid pre release order pricing here in Australia, Sphere Drones and D1 Store.
This will be set retail I bet from DJI and resellers.

Basic M3 AU$3099 = ~ US$2291 (vs basic on the best buy site above US$2199)
Flymore AU$4199 = ~ US$3106 (vs flymore on the best buy site above US$2999)
Cine AU$7199 = ~ US$5325 (vs Cine on the best buy site above $4999)

Not as far away from Us pricing as it can be down under.

I'll never understand why people really want a smart controller versus a Tripltek 7 or 8 inch 1200 nit tablet. You can use them on all drones across the board. Owning a smart controller for each manufacturer can get expensive. But I guess if you're faithful to one drone company it may make more sense. Also, The Tripltek is a phone, an android, has bluetooth, wifi and does so many other things than just one function. I can only see the logic if the money needed for an SC is an insignificant amount relative to the person's income. I know most will say it's convenient to have just one unit with a screen and no wires. I would do it if I had enough disposable income, but I am no longer in that position. I feel an SC is only for that person with a significant amount of disposable income, or a professional who's job is drones. Why an average hobbyist would by one is beyond me. Get what you like, i guess.

As you've said it's more convenient to use a smart controller and for plenty people that's worth the money, given the portability of the mavic drones I can see the appeal of having the remote and phone/tablet integrated. Personally even money aside I prefer a separate Android device but we're all different.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Note- I changed the above video in Post #91, I grabbed the older 2 yr Evolve 1 video.
I was incorrect, I was looking at the Evolve 1... the Evolve 2 is an impressive craft.
Oddly, it reminds me of an older Yuneec Q500 craft.

I'd actually compare the Evolve 2 more with the Inspire 2 platform. The "Size" of the Evolve 2 is the expected / speculated size of the Inspire 3; About 25-30% smaller than Inspire 2.

The Evolve 2 is an improved craft, and does have some impressive specifications.
The Evolve 1, when first shown 2+ yrs ago was an eye catching beautiful Carbon Fiber craft.
The Evolve 2 retains the Carbon Fiber with multiple improvements.

It's MFT camera can do 4K/120fps and large pixels sensor 12mp... sounds great on paper ( Sony A7SII similar sensor) for wide dynamic range and superb night sensor. I'd agree, it has some strong points to consider and some cautionary points too.

Size... it's not compact like M2P / M3P... Although it's not 1/10 the size of Inspire 2 as suggested... based on video, I'd say an Inspire 2 is less than twice it's size. With an I2 you gain redundant batteries, heated batteries, Object Avoidance and compact travel mode. The Evolve 2 OA is not activated as of yet, so untested by reviewers.

The Inspire 2 is titanium and carbon fiber... similar to what is indicated with the Evolve 2.
On XDynamics Web site, only 1 MFT Camera Payload is offered at the moment. The I2 has 3: 1", MFT, and FF sensors.

It's a new craft & company with 1 platform, minimal reviews and limited info on actual operation of platform. I don't think it's up to par with an Inspire 2 and it's not in the same arena as the M3P.
It is a craft to examine and watch, has strong potential, and $4K into a platform isn't a negative if other components are available, but is a little concerning for a 1 camera, larger platform craft when a smaller platform may provide equal / similar performance & product.

As indicated above in other post, the M3P in my opinion is over priced and limited functionality. I had higher hopes in it's release.
Hi Dougcjohn,

Your analsys was pretty accurate. Have you flown Evolve 2? If not let us know, we will arrange something.

Best Regards

Eduardo Russo
Xdynamics

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas