DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

The Evolve 2 appears to be a very impressive drone, but it's not made in the USA at all.
If it was, the price would be much higher.
The company is based in Hong Kong, not very far from DJI, just across the border in Shenzen.

Great Find... right in their own Web Page.
CaptainDrone bit misleading... stated 90% made in XDynamics and only sold & serviced in USA. But doesn't state "made in USA".

XDynamics.png

Last edited:
Thanks i finished watching the second review now.
Looks like all the issues are software based and probably can be resolved? Hopefully.

But what I was comparing is Bill of Materials:
Mavic 3 Cinema, made of plastic, 2 mobile phone cameras, mobile phone lenses, 5.5inch smart controller, made in China rumored price 4400$
vs
Carbon fiber body, interchangeable lenses, Micro 4/3 sensor, dual screen smart controller, Made in USA for 3699$

Basically that they can provide more, make it in USA with high labor prices and still make money.
What im saying is this drone shames DJI and makes them look greedy AF
Its of no threat to DJI,and the Evolve 2 has such a nice small form factor.
To make a long story short junk.

Great Find... right in their own Web Page.
CaptainDrone bit misleading... stated 90% made in XDynamics and only sold & serviced in USA. But doesn't state "made in USA".
Capt. Drone just said that it was built 90% in-house.
The company is launching into the US market initially and intends expanding to other markets after that.

Capt. Drone just said that it was built 90% in-house.
The company is launching into the US market initially and intends expanding to other markets after that.
Yep... noticed that too...
Good to notice the location @meta

The Evolve 2 appears to be a very impressive drone, but it's not made in the USA at all.
If it was, the price would be much higher.
The company is based in Hong Kong, not very far from DJI, just across the border in Shenzen.
Reminds me on Apple:

Designed by Apple in California
Assembled in China 😆

I hope you're not under the delusion that Mavic owners don't routinely fly BLOS.

There are literally thousands of videos on YouTube of Mavics being pushed out to 4, 5 or even 6 miles.

I'm well aware of what people do, and I strongly disagree with any behavior that results in more and more restrictions for the drone community - which is exactly what things like completely unnecessary range tests are. The rules are the rules and flying a drone is a privilege - it's not up to us to pick and choose which rules we want to follow, especially with such a diverse mix of pilot experience.

If you want to fly out of VLOS that badly, you can with a spotter in most places I am aware of anyway.

If you think that finding a video of someone breaking the law makes it acceptable behavior for everyone else, then I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: sar104
I'm well aware of what people do, and I strongly disagree with any behavior that results in more and more restrictions for the drone community - which is exactly what things like completely unnecessary range tests are. The rules are the rules and flying a drone is a privilege - it's not up to us to pick and choose which rules we want to follow, especially with such a diverse mix of pilot experience.

If you want to fly out of VLOS that badly, you can with a spotter in most places I am aware of anyway.

If you think that finding a video of someone breaking the law makes it acceptable behavior for everyone else, then I don't know what to tell you.

Well right now there is no "law" about flying a drone BLOS, just an FAA advisory. Not sure how Canada treats it.

As far as a spotter, that only applies to certain situations where it can be feasible. I happen to routinely fly 3 or 4 mile downrange in heavily forested and mountainous areas, so almost impossible to have "spotters" along the flight path.

With technology advancing as it is, flying BLOS can be safely achieved. DJI takes obstacle avoidance quite seriously and the feature works well on the Mavic series. They could also incorporate GPS data to help plan a long distance flight --- such as knowing where high-voltage power lines are located on a map so that the drone will automatically elevate to 250 ft. AGL or more to clear the lines. Satellite imagery + GPS could also make smart landings really effective --- ie, your Mavic runs low on battery and starts to auto-descend but realizes it's over a pond and autonomously moves laterally to descend onto an open area of land. These things are all achievable with current technology.

Well right now there is no "law" about flying a drone BLOS, just an FAA advisory.
So obviously you are not flying under Part 107:

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.​
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:​
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;​
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;​
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and​
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.​

Or under the recreational exception:

49 U.S.C §44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft​
(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:​
(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.​
So you have found some other method to comply with the law that doesn't clearly require VLOS?

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Oh good...I love how every single thread ends up devolving into a lecture on drone law...

As a drone operator, why would you not be concerned about drone laws? There in place for your safety as well as the safety of other people, wildlife, and property.

Nobody is lecturing you. You posted some blatantly incorrect information and for the benefit of yourself and any others reading, sar104 provided you with the correct information to help avoid breaking the law. I'm not sure I understand what the issue is.

Laws are not in place for people to pick and choose which ones to follow on their personal whim. When that happens, the actions of a very irresponsible few end up creating blanket restrictions that make things much less enjoyable for the responsible pilots trying to comply with the laws.

I can find videos online of people driving drunk or at 3x the speed limit - does that make it ok?

Also, I find that very few threads on here end up talking about drone laws. Most people seem to understand them. If you post wrong information or brag about breaking the law, expect the responsible pilots who don't want drone laws to get any tighter than they already are to take issue with that.

As a drone operator, why would you not be concerned about drone laws? There in place for your safety as well as the safety of other people, wildlife, and property.

Nobody is lecturing you. You posted some blatantly incorrect information and for the benefit of yourself and any others reading, sar104 provided you with the correct information to help avoid breaking the law. I'm not sure I understand what the issue is.

Laws are not in place for people to pick and choose which ones to follow on their personal whim. When that happens, the actions of a very irresponsible few end up creating blanket restrictions that make things much less enjoyable for the responsible pilots trying to comply with the laws.

I can find videos online of people driving drunk or at 3x the speed limit - does that make it ok?
Incorrect. I didn't post any information about drone laws or flying BVLOS...that was Mavic-Master88. I'm just here reading about the cost of a new drone and, as usual, the conversation veers off into drone law land.

Incorrect. I didn't post any information about drone laws or flying BVLOS...that was Mavic-Master88. I'm just here reading about the cost of a new drone and, as usual, the conversation veers off into drone law land.

You're right, I confused you with the other poster - my apologies. Everything I said still stands though.

Imagine a car message board where every thread devolved into a discussion of the legal limits for headlight brightness or minimum tire tread.

Reactions: Kilrah
Imagine a car message board where every thread devolved into a discussion of the legal limits for headlight brightness or minimum tire tread.

Imagine a car message board where someone made a post suggesting it's legal to do 100mph through a school zone because they found videos on the internet of other people doing it.

Then you would have a relevant comparison, and I can guarantee you that reactions would be similar (source: I am a member of multiple car message boards haha).

I've been a member here for many years now and very, very few threads end up with discussions about drone laws unless people post blatantly incorrect information or brag about breaking the law. It's important that those people are corrected because new pilots might be reading and think it's OK.

Reactions: sar104
Well to be fair, the subject did follow at least a tenuous progression via the question of whether the M3 would have full RID capability. But yes - it was something of a thread hijack by @Mavic-Master88 who has been doing that across other threads with variants of the same misinformation.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan