DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

I sold my m2p because of noise levels in the shadows. Interested to see how the m3 does…

I'd venture a guess that has something to do with your settings (shooting in one of the 8bit modes, underexposure, or ISO too high) or processing technique (shadows pushed too far in post).

The 1" Sony sensor in the M2P has almost identical dynamic range to every M43 sensor on the market, and is only about a stop worse than the best full-frame sensors available (at equivalent ISOs) in terms of dynamic range. Changing the sensor might result in a small incremental improvement but you aren't going to see a night & day improvement as the 1" Sony sensor is already very good in that department.

I personally have not run into any shadow noise issues with my M2P footage.

I could care less if the camera was crappy. I just want to go 10 miles and have enough battery power to make it there and back

I can't tell if you're joking or not (I assume you are) but for anyone else's benefit who may be reading this and not know, that is illegal everywhere in North America that I am aware of.

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I can't tell if you're joking or not (I assume you are) but for anyone else's benefit who may be reading this and not know, that is illegal everywhere in North America that I am aware of.

I hope you're not under the delusion that Mavic owners don't routinely fly BLOS.

There are literally thousands of videos on YouTube of Mavics being pushed out to 4, 5 or even 6 miles.

For me optical zoom (or interchangeable lenses) would be a critical selling point.

The idea of an interchangeable lens on a Mavic would make me downright giddy.

I really can't believe the technical hurdles are that big --- just make the gimbal beefier and perhaps move the center of gravity backward a bit to counter a larger lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: thispilothere
I'd venture a guess that has something to do with your settings (shooting in one of the 8bit modes, underexposure, or ISO too high) or processing technique (shadows pushed too far in post).

The 1" Sony sensor in the M2P has almost identical dynamic range to every M43 sensor on the market, and is only about a stop worse than the best full-frame sensors available (at equivalent ISOs) in terms of dynamic range. Changing the sensor might result in a small incremental improvement but you aren't going to see a night & day improvement as the 1" Sony sensor is already very good in that department.

I personally have not run into any shadow noise issues with my M2P footage.
Being a sunrise/sunset flier, I’m just happier with X5s and Autel Evo ii stills and video. It wasn’t user error 😉

I could care less if the camera was crappy. I just want to go 10 miles and have enough battery power to make it there and back
Is that 10 miles round trip (5 miles out 5 miles back), or 10 miles out 10 miles back?

I’ve heard the Mavic 2 can do 10 miles round trip, be interesting to see what Mavic 3 can achieve.

Good luck!

I love my toys, I use them for income so it helps with the cost but 3-4 K seems high. Even by DJI standards. If I buy a 4,000 drone and it cant get off the ground because of DJI's geofencing I will lose it. I think both Autel and whoever makes the Parrot have a huge opening. I was able to get my Mavic 2 Pro for only 400 (this is the only way I would have bought it) and while it takes awesome video I have had to use the others Drones in a pinch when the Mavic refused to fly. I love the integrated smart controller but again I find it has its drawbacks. I am weighing what I pay and what limitations the drones have. I'm of the mind the more you spend the more freedom you should have. With DJI that is not the case. I think like anything else if you want to be the first to have it you pay the price. Like DSLR's the latest model will be improved but the last model is still great and makes awesome content. Its the user that makes the content not the camera.

I love my toys, I use them for income so it helps with the cost but 3-4 K seems high. Even by DJI standards. If I buy a 4,000 drone and it cant get off the ground because of DJI's geofencing I will lose it. I think both Autel and whoever makes the Parrot have a huge opening. I was able to get my Mavic 2 Pro for only 400 (this is the only way I would have bought it) and while it takes awesome video I have had to use the others Drones in a pinch when the Mavic refused to fly. I love the integrated smart controller but again I find it has its drawbacks. I am weighing what I pay and what limitations the drones have. I'm of the mind the more you spend the more freedom you should have. With DJI that is not the case. I think like anything else if you want to be the first to have it you pay the price. Like DSLR's the latest model will be improved but the last model is still great and makes awesome content. Its the user that makes the content not the camera.
If not there... request into Mavic Software Mods.
Very simplistic low cost method to eliminate GeoZones.

I just stumbled upon a new drone 90% made in USA, sold only in USA for 3699USD, with better spec then mavic3 cinema kit, so ill be surprised that Mavic3 Cinema sells for higher price, unless DJI thinks we suckers.

This drone films in 4K/120, has ProRes Raw and HEVC support, camera uses Micro 4/3 Lens and lens mount, yep it has interchangeable lenses, no cooling fan, top body made of carbon fiber, bottom from some alloy that used as CPU cooler, it comes with huge clam shell controller with dual screens, top is 8inch 1000nits and it has bottom screen arnaged vertically in the middle beetwen the thumb sticks, removable antennas and HDMI out, no geofencing.

If you want to watch, Captain Drone on YouTube has 4 part on this drone, the model name is: XDynamics EVOLVE 2

Comparing to Mavic 3 Cinema, they give a lot more for similar money, just the price of Carbon Fiber + 4K/120 Camera + dual screen Smart Controller.
Its not small thou, but not huge either, its smaller then the big DJI drones that have interchangeable camera lenses, maybe 4 times smaller

Strong DJI supporter, firmly feel the platforms & SW Apps are tops.
Have 2x M600Pro's, M210, 2x Inspire 2 (X5S & X7), I1, P4Pv2, all Mavics... really like the M2P over the MA2 series... but the news & projected price so far for the M3P hasn't intrigued my interest. It lacks features I had expectations: swappable payloads, multiple sensors... possible Thermal, RTK, Redundent Batteries, Heated Batteries, etc. Cinematography isn't surpassing the aging I2 X7 and multiple lens of X5S & X7 with Apple ProRes & CinemaDNG.

It's an upgrade to M2P but not a replacement for I2 caliber platform... which I was hopeful being the Inspire 3 may not develope. The other possible specialized markets are questionable, especially without swappable payloads... mapping, modeling, inspections, etc.

With the competition offerings: Skydio & Autel. DJI normally leap frogs and presents a jump ahead it's competition... I don't feel the M3P meets that strategy.... the M2E Adv upgrade was more of a significant upgrade for it's intended market prior to EVO2 Ent 6K / Thermal... the M2E Adv V2 should be strong too.

A new X7 v2 / X8, additional DJI Lenses would be more of a Cinematic Upgrade than the M3P... in my opinion.

Reactions: gppms
I just stumbled upon a new drone 90% made in USA, sold only in USA for 3699USD, with better spec then mavic3 cinema kit, so ill be surprised that Mavic3 Cinema sells for higher price, unless DJI thinks we suckers.

This drone films in 4K/120, has ProRes Raw and HEVC support, camera uses Micro 4/3 Lens and lens mount, yep it has interchangeable lenses, no cooling fan, top body made of carbon fiber, bottom from some alloy that used as CPU cooler, it comes with huge clam shell controller with dual screens, top is 8inch 1000nits and it has bottom screen arnaged vertically in the middle beetwen the thumb sticks, removable antennas and HDMI out, no geofencing.

If you want to watch, Captain Drone on YouTube has 4 part on this drone, the model name is: XDynamics EVOLVE 2

Comparing to Mavic 3 Cinema, they give a lot more for similar money, just the price of Carbon Fiber + 4K/120 Camera + dual screen Smart Controller.
Its not small thou, but not huge either, its smaller then the big DJI drones that have interchangeable camera lenses, maybe 4 times smaller

The Evolve 2 has been in process for over 2 years, several YouTubes spanning a few years. It is a beautiful carbon design, although it's having development pains and wouldn't be on par with M3P quality.

It might develop into a great platform, but it's not there yet.

CaptainDrone YouTube (1 of 4)
** Edited - Wrong video, updated to Evolve 2 Craft ***

Here's a recent opinion (2 days) by OriginalDoBo

Last edited:
The Evolve 2 has been in process for over 2 years, several YouTubes spanning a few years. It is a beautiful carbon design, although it's having development pains and wouldn't be on par with M3P quality.

It might develop into a great platform, but it's not there yet.

Thanks i finished watching the second review now.
Looks like all the issues are software based and probably can be resolved? Hopefully.

But what I was comparing is Bill of Materials:
Mavic 3 Cinema, made of plastic, 2 mobile phone cameras, mobile phone lenses, 5.5inch smart controller, made in China rumored price 4400$
vs
Carbon fiber body, interchangeable lenses, Micro 4/3 sensor, dual screen smart controller, Made in USA for 3699$

Basically that they can provide more, make it in USA with high labor prices and still make money.
What im saying is this drone shames DJI and makes them look greedy AF

Mavic 3 Cinema is positioned for movie makers and pro photographers, in this category Photo and video quality matter more then size
Not for hobbyists who want to travel with a drone.

Mavic from the beginning folded down compact so that it took up some but not all of your carryon luggage space.

Professionals who take Inspire or larger drones to do jobs will pay for the expense of shipping their drone gear by air freight to job sites.

Regular joes who want to fly their drones on their vacations can't justify those kinds of expenses.

Not for hobbyists who want to travel with a drone.

Mavic from the beginning folded down compact so that it took up some but not all of your carryon luggage space.

Professionals who take Inspire or larger drones to do jobs will pay for the expense of shipping their drone gear by air freight to job sites.

Regular joes who want to fly their drones on their vacations can't justify those kinds of expenses.
One of the reviewers said its 4 times smaller then inspire.
Do you think hobbyists [auto spellchecker offerd me to replace it with Hobits] will be buying the 4400$ Cinema package? Its the one im comparing vs, not the 1600$ drone which i might buy for myself if its really WOW

One of the reviewers said its 4 times smaller then inspire.
Do you think hobbyists [auto spellchecker offerd me to replace it with Hobits] will be buying the 4400$ Cinema package? Its the one im comparing vs, not the 1600$ drone which i might buy for myself if its really WOW
Not too many hobbyists.

But not too many are going to buy that $3700 Evolve2 package either.

Too big, no track record, too expensive.

Note- I changed the above video in Post #91, I grabbed the older 2 yr Evolve 1 video.
I was incorrect, I was looking at the Evolve 1... the Evolve 2 is an impressive craft.
Oddly, it reminds me of an older Yuneec Q500 craft.

I'd actually compare the Evolve 2 more with the Inspire 2 platform. The "Size" of the Evolve 2 is the expected / speculated size of the Inspire 3; About 25-30% smaller than Inspire 2.

The Evolve 2 is an improved craft, and does have some impressive specifications.
The Evolve 1, when first shown 2+ yrs ago was an eye catching beautiful Carbon Fiber craft.
The Evolve 2 retains the Carbon Fiber with multiple improvements.

It's MFT camera can do 4K/120fps and large pixels sensor 12mp... sounds great on paper ( Sony A7SII similar sensor) for wide dynamic range and superb night sensor. I'd agree, it has some strong points to consider and some cautionary points too.

Size... it's not compact like M2P / M3P... Although it's not 1/10 the size of Inspire 2 as suggested... based on video, I'd say an Inspire 2 is less than twice it's size. With an I2 you gain redundant batteries, heated batteries, Object Avoidance and compact travel mode. The Evolve 2 OA is not activated as of yet, so untested by reviewers.

The Inspire 2 is titanium and carbon fiber... similar to what is indicated with the Evolve 2.
On XDynamics Web site, only 1 MFT Camera Payload is offered at the moment. The I2 has 3: 1", MFT, and FF sensors.

It's a new craft & company with 1 platform, minimal reviews and limited info on actual operation of platform. I don't think it's up to par with an Inspire 2 and it's not in the same arena as the M3P.
It is a craft to examine and watch, has strong potential, and $4K into a platform isn't a negative if other components are available, but is a little concerning for a 1 camera, larger platform craft when a smaller platform may provide equal / similar performance & product.

As indicated above in other post, the M3P in my opinion is over priced and limited functionality. I had higher hopes in it's release.

Reactions: eduardo.russo
I'd agree as others have suggested... the Air 2 series is probably the track for serious Hobbyist. The gain of "product" for the cost of M3P in Hobbyist is probably minimal. For Professional, if any gain...it's a useful addition, a better "Tool", that can be also be a business deduction.

I just stumbled upon a new drone 90% made in USA, sold only in USA for 3699USD, with better spec then mavic3 cinema kit,
The Evolve 2 appears to be a very impressive drone, but it's not made in the USA at all.
If it was, the price would be much higher.
The company is based in Hong Kong, not very far from DJI, just across the border in Shenzen.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569