DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 very expensive

I'm well aware of what people do, and I strongly disagree with any behavior that results in more and more restrictions for the drone community - which is exactly what things like completely unnecessary range tests are. The rules are the rules and flying a drone is a privilege - it's not up to us to pick and choose which rules we want to follow, especially with such a diverse mix of pilot experience.

If you want to fly out of VLOS that badly, you can with a spotter in most places I am aware of anyway.

If you think that finding a video of someone breaking the law makes it acceptable behavior for everyone else, then I don't know what to tell you.
If people want to do range tests , at least to see how long the battery will last, just follow the drone in a car with a friend driving.

Reactions: Korrd
If people want to do range tests , at least to see how long the battery will last, just follow the drone in a car with a friend driving.

An even safer way to do that would be to simply fly the drone back and forth over a fixed known distance (say, a football field) until the battery was low (ideally you never want to let it get below about 20% anyway). You could also hover it, but drones actually use less battery while flying slowly, assuming no headwind. Or you could just look at DJI's specification, as they have done that work for you already haha. Range and battery life have many caveats as it is, such as wind, temperature, etc.

Reactions: cgmaxed
I'm in the same space as you.
I just sold my used M2Z and an AutelEVO2 8K on E-bay. I netted $1900 US after selling both. E-bay takes about 12% of the sales price. If you sell something for 1000, you get 880 net. Also, I look at all the other sales prices of the same drones and packages as mine , then I subtract about 150 dollars from the lowest E-bay price and then put mine up for sale at the lowest price minus $150 dollars. I usually get the sale done within less than a month by being the lowest seller. I don't mind the slight loss in my net profits. I prefer to sell my used stuff quick rather than wait several months. It takes months to sell, if you place your same drone at about the same price as others. It takes weeks, if you sell at about $100 less than the lowest priced ones. I don't take offers, and never do bidding. At that low price, someone eventually buys it at that price. I ignore buyers that try to give me some sob story to reduce my price. I think to myself, My drone has the lowest price, why are you trying to get me to go even lower? I just ignore them. My used stuff always sells without me having to do anything, except wait a bit.

Oh, that 1900 extra cash will certainly help when I purchase a 3rd generation drone. I'm going to save some more money while I wait and watch other people buy these new 3rd gen DJI and Autel drones, unbox, fly, and review them. I'm really curious about this Autel "Supersense" drone with what they say will have a 1.4 inch cmos sensor. I wonder what the cost will be. By the way, a 4/3 cmos sensor is 1.333... inches.. I may stick with DJI. I like the supposed 46 min flight time. That is really impressive.

Last edited:
I just sold my used M2Z and an AutelEVO2 8K on E-bay. I netted $1900 US after selling both. I may stick with DJI.
I just sold my 3 years old M2P with my 7 months old SC as a package deal for $1,400. I put it on ebay and because of the fees, I priced it at a fixed price of $1,500 and mentioned local pickup only because there was something on my drone from a crash that I wanted to show in person before the buyer pays for it so that I do not ship it to someone and they give me a bad review or something. Well, I was lucky to find a local buyer who saw my ad on craigslist for $1,400 firm on price. He bought it and I have that money sitting and waiting for the M3. I just have to save some more and add to that amount while waiting for the M3 to be released.

I would like to buy the basic package, an extra battery and new smart controller.

As expensive as this drone will be, too bad there would still be a mad rush for it. Coupled with the fact that scalpers are waiting to jump on this to buy and sell for more money.

This is one drone that the base model will sell out fast. The Fly More Combo and the Cine package may not sell out as fast, except DJI makes the new SC available only on the Cine package, so as to boost the sale of that package.

I just wonder if we will be able to place our orders immediately after the 1 hour or 2 hours presentation on November 5.

Last edited:
The best way to combat scalpers, in my experience anyway, is buy from a smaller local shop and pre-order it ASAP if that option is available. I don't think scalping is going to be as prevalent on a drone as something like a PS5 or Nvidia 3000 series GPU, the market's aren't even close to the same size. I'm guessing it won't be too bad, and scalpers are going to be looking at Amazon, B&H, etc. not mom & pop's drone shop.

I just sold my used M2Z and an AutelEVO2 8K on E-bay. I netted $1900 US after selling both. E-bay takes about 12% of the sales price. If you sell something for 1000, you get 880 net. Also, I look at all the other sales prices of the same drones and packages as mine , then I subtract about 150 dollars from the lowest E-bay price and then put mine up for sale at the lowest price minus $150 dollars. I usually get the sale done within less than a month by being the lowest seller. I don't mind the slight loss in my net profits. I prefer to sell my used stuff quick rather than wait several months. It takes months to sell, if you place your same drone at about the same price as others. It takes weeks, if you sell at about $100 less than the lowest priced ones. I don't take offers, and never do bidding. At that low price, someone eventually buys it at that price. I ignore buyers that try to give me some sob story to reduce my price. I think to myself, My drone has the lowest price, why are you trying to get me to go even lower? I just ignore them. My used stuff always sells without me having to do anything, except wait a bit.

Oh, that 1900 extra cash will certainly help when I purchase a 3rd generation drone. I'm going to save some more money while I wait and watch other people buy these new 3rd gen DJI and Autel drones, unbox, fly, and review them. I'm really curious about this Autel "Supersense" drone with what they say will have a 1.4 inch cmos sensor. I wonder what the cost will be. By the way, a 4/3 cmos sensor is 1.333... inches.. I may stick with DJI. I like the supposed 46 min flight time. That is really impressive.
A 4/3 sensor is 21.6 x 17.3 mm (0.85 x 0.68 in.).

A 4/3 sensor is 21.6 x 17.3 mm (0.85 x 0.68 in.).

The sensors used in virtually all 4/3 cameras and most likely what will end up in the M3 are a little smaller than that at 18mm X 13.5mm with an image area of 17.3 X 13mm. There are some very tiny variations but that is probably what it will be. Sony is pretty well the only remaining manufacturer of 4/3 sensors (Panasonic sold their sensor business in 2019) and DJI will probably take an off the shelf design in bulk. There is a small chance Hasselblad does more than provide a lens sticker this time around and has input in the sensor design for Sony to fab, but I doubt it.

Diagonal measurement would be 22.5mm for the full sensor (0.886") or 21.64mm for the image area (0.852")

Last edited:
Here is something that puzzles me a bit.

According the price leak webpage Mavic 3 retail price confirmed. Higher than we anticipated.

The difference between the Fly More package and just the Mavic 3 itself is $750
Yet when I look at the difference in cost of the Air2S versus the Air2S with the Fly More package it is only a $300 difference. And when looking at the Mavic Air2, I see it's cost of the Fly More package is simliar, if not less, than the Air2S package.

So why is the Fly More Package listed at over TWICE the cost on the Mavic 3??

I'm wondering if we can really believe the posted prices on that webpage. They seem way out of whack to me. The only explaination I can think of would be if the Fly More Package on the Mavic 3 also included the new Smart Controller. If that is the case, then it would seem like a good deal.
You should read the other threads under this one. You will see how some people have discussed about the price and that very high price looks like it is justified. If you go and read the threads, you will see what I am talking about.

Basically, the Mavic 3 Cine package comes with an interal 1TB that DJI sells for $1,600 on their website. And also Apple Res which is about $500. Then add the price of the new Smart Controller which is more than the current controller which costs $750.

So, if you go and read some of those threads about the launch of the Mavic 3 on here, you will see how well it has been discussed already so much so that many people feel the price may likely be as predicted.

I mean, there has been all kinds of leaks and the leaks most often are spot on or very close. So, this price may likely be correct or very close to the real thing.

But then again, these are all rumors. We have about 10 days to find what DJI will tell us.

You still haven't explained why the Fly More Combo is $700 more when on all the other models it's a $200 - $300 difference. If it's just some props and spare batteries and chargers, why is it over twice the price of previous Fly More Combos?

The only explanation I can see is that the Fly More Combo price listed also includes the new Smart Controller.

The basic Mav3 is $1000 more than the Air2S.
The speculated price of the Mav 3 with Fly More combo is exactly $1,000 more than the Air2S with Fly More kit AND Smart Controller.

Thus I would speculate that the $2,749 price of the Mav 3 with the Fly More Kit also Includes the new Smart Controller.

Someone explain to me why I wrong before I cancel my Air2S order....

Last edited:
You still haven't explained why the Fly More Combo is $700 more when on all the other models it's a $200 - $300 difference. If it's just some props and spare batteries and chargers, why is it over twice the price of previous Fly More Combos?

The only explanation I can see is that the Fly More Combo price listed also includes the new Smart Controller.
Who do you want to explain? The manufacturer is DJI. You can contact them for the most reliable information.

The prices you see are rumored prices. The rumored prices are from people who have provided some rumors that turned out to be true. Not all rumors turn out to be true, but we have definitely gotten good information from the people who started some leaks and rumors.

These prices are rumored prices from some of these people and it has been discussed here at length. If the prices do not make sense to you, you can contact DJI to ask them or you wait for 10 days for the release.

I think most people who have seen these prices pretty much understand to some extend what to expect when the product is launched, but no one can explain exactly what you are wanting to know.

But channel your concern to DJI and when you find out, come here and share like some people on here who take their time to share valuable information that people have not asked for, but it is information that is appreciated by many on here.

By the way, a 4/3 cmos sensor is 1.333... inches.
When you see a sensor size in inches, the name has nothing to do with the dimensions of the sensor.
The 1" sensor of the Mavic 2 pro is much less than one inch across.
It's diagonal is 15.86 mm (0.62 inches)

Here's the explanation from Wikipedia:
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" outside diameter circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm on the diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.

Reactions: Johnmcl7 and Sripey
Who do you want to explain? The manufacturer is DJI. You can contact them for the most reliable information.

The prices you see are rumored prices. The rumored prices are from people who have provided some rumors that turned out to be true. Not all rumors turn out to be true, but we have definitely gotten good information from the people who started some leaks and rumors.

These prices are rumored prices from some of these people and it has been discussed here at length. If the prices do not make sense to you, you can contact DJI to ask them or you wait for 10 days for the release.

I think most people who have seen these prices pretty much understand to some extend what to expect when the product is launched, but no one can explain exactly what you are wanting to know.

But channel your concern to DJI and when you find out, come here and share like some people on here who take their time to share valuable information that people have not asked for, but it is information that is appreciated by many on here.

DJI is not open today, and I only have a few hours left to cancel my Air2S order. I want a Smart Controller with the Drone, and I can wait for the Mav3 IF the $2,750 speculated price also includes the new Smart Controller. But $4,500 is too much for me to pay. So I'm trying to make a decision today on whether I should cancel and wait. And I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on whether or not the Fly More Combo price of $2,750 includes the Smart Controller or not, because that will make or break my choice. I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

DJI is not open today, and I only have a few hours left to cancel my Air2S order. I want a Smart Controller with the Drone, and I can wait for the Mav3 IF the $2,750 speculated price also includes the new Smart Controller. But $4,500 is too much for me to pay. So I'm trying to make a decision today on whether I should cancel and wait. And I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on whether or not the Fly More Combo price of $2,750 includes the Smart Controller or not, because that will make or break my choice. I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just trying to make an informed decision.
I wouldn't make a hasty decision at these prices... If unsure, I'd cancel and find out what you're seeking. A few days later won't make much difference if you decide to go with the MA2S.

I wouldn't make a hasty decision at these prices... If unsure, I'd cancel and find out what you're seeking. A few days later won't make much difference if you decide to go with the MA2S.

I think you're right. I'm going to attempt to cancel and wait it out and see what the Fly More Kit with Smart Controller price is on the M3. Thanks for helping me decide.

When you see a sensor size in inches, the name has nothing to do with the dimensions of the sensor.
The 1" sensor of the Mavic 2 pro is much less than one inch across.
It's diagonal is 15.86 mm (0.62 inches)

Here's the explanation from Wikipedia:
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" outside diameter circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm on the diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.
Thanks for the info. I read the same thing AFTER typing my post. They made a real mess out of CMOS sensor size classifications.

I seen about 5 different sources (which i'm not going to look for again) for the Mavic 3 Base package, regular controller, 1 batt, 1 charger, being at 1,600 USA. If this is accurate, you might be able to base combo pack prices off of that.

I want a Smart Controller with the Drone, and I can wait for the Mav3 IF the $2,750 speculated price also includes the new Smart Controller. But $4,500 is too much for me to pay. So I'm trying to make a decision today on whether I should cancel and wait.And I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on whether or not the Fly More Combo price of $2,750 includes the Smart Controller or not, because that will make or break my choice.
The rumor has been discussed here and in all the leaks on the internet. The Fly More Combo does not include the Smart Controller. The Cine package, which is the most expensive package at over $4,500, is the only package that comes with the Smart Controller.

I sold my M2P with Smart controller so I can buy the Mavic 3. I fly for leisure and not for business, so I just want a basic package. But I sure do enjoy taking pictures.

I plan to buy the basic drone, an extra battery, the Smart controller and ND filters. That will be enough for me with flight time of over 40 minutes, I never need too much flight time. So, 2 batteries is just enough for me. I am just hoping that they will sell the Smart controller as a stand alone product. But I personally guess they may make the new Smart Controller available only on the most expensive package (Cine package) so as to be able to sell a lot of that package.

I'll never understand why people really want a smart controller versus a Tripltek 7 or 8 inch 1200 nit tablet. You can use them on all drones across the board. Owning a smart controller for each manufacturer can get expensive. But I guess if you're faithful to one drone company it may make more sense. Also, The Tripltek is a phone, an android, has bluetooth, wifi and does so many other things than just one function. I can only see the logic if the money needed for an SC is an insignificant amount relative to the person's income. I know most will say it's convenient to have just one unit with a screen and no wires. I would do it if I had enough disposable income, but I am no longer in that position. I feel an SC is only for that person with a significant amount of disposable income, or a professional who's job is drones. Why an average hobbyist would by one is beyond me. Get what you like, i guess.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots