DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 vs Classic- Other considerations

IMHO the storage muzzle protects the gimbal locked or unlocked.
Agreed. Just noted that difference since the OP was asking for differences.

It's rare I use the 7x lens when I'm flying. Occasionally Ill use it just because it's there but not for serious photography (which is what I primarily use my Mavic 3 for). It does give you some options for capturing different effects when using the drone for videography.
The 7x is a great NOVELTY but I don’t see it as a serious tool that I would use more than once in a while. The additional TOTAL cost just for that feature makes the M3C a better value and a MUCH better value with my circumstances. If I could buy a refurbished model without the confiscatory sales tax which I would be absolved of at B&H, a refurb M3 might still be a consideration. But once you start stacking on additional care refresh premiums on top of sales tax, the price difference changes dramatically. Considering that just a few weeks ago I wasn’t considering a new drone at all the release of the M3C and ala carte packaging changed everything.
You’re going to have to decide personally whether the telephoto lens is important to you. I use mine daily reporting on progress on a construction site. It allows me to ‘stand back’ and cover subjects that the standard lens might cause me to be too close - and potentially distracting to workers. The quality is good, though colour matching is occasionally a challenge - the telephoto does not benefit from Hasselblad’s colour processing. If you look at your choice in a different way, I moved up from a Mavic 2 Pro. If the Classic had been the next option, I doubt that I would have made the change. The lens choice and flight time were the big factors for me
Right now flight time and (total) cost are the major factors combined with my Mavic 2 getting a little long in the tooth. Taking out the option of a refurb M3, the M3 is $2050 and forces an RCN1 on us. I already have an RCN1 plus the DJI RC. No ala carte versions are available at this time. I suspect if there were the price difference might be minimal, unless the M3C cuts into the M3 sales so much that DJI will reconsider. So to do the math, like someone else did above...

M3 (must take RCN1 in the package)
$2049
$399 2 yr care ref
$2448

M3C (can be purchased ala carte w/o controller)
$1469
$259
$1728

Add one battery =$1938
Add two batteries= $2148
Add 3rd party charger $50
Total $2200

Total difference M3 vs M3C= $722
Is the 7x lens worth a $700 difference?

Now lets consider the refurb..
M3 refurb (must take RCN1 in the package, I think)
$1749
$175 sales tax (subtotal $1924)
$399 2yr care ref
$2323

So, as sales tax cannot be avoided with the refurb it only reduces the difference between new and refurb by $125. Still the difference between the reburb and the M3c is almost $600 at $595. Again, is the 7x lens worth $600?

Can you buy a fly more kit separately from the M3, or are you forced to get it as a package. I'm not seeing it ala carte. The FMC gives you 2 batteries a charger some props and a useless bag.
So now back to the Refurb fly more combo...
So even getting a refurb with the FMC it's still $600 more than a practical package with the M3C.

$2349 (must take RCN1 in the package)
$240 sales tax
$399 2 yr care ref
$2988

Again, how much is the 7x zoom worth? Do I need more than 2 batteries considering extended flight time? And in my case, I have a $300 credit which can only be applied to what B&H has to offer. Obviously everyone is different. Different needs. Different sales tax structures.

Speaking of sales tax, if I can get off on a tangent here for a moment, the rough math on 10%-10.25% sales tax here, the reality is that actual out of pocket, is more like 13% (or more)- because the average Joe had to EARN $130 which got taxed by the fed, the state and some times the city first, leaving you with $100, which gets charged an additional $10. I dunno. I know. I'm more sensitive to it than most. But as illustrated above, the sales tax can be significant, especially if income is limited.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
To Zoom or not to Zoom. That is the question.

Well, kind of anyway.

I have the MP2 and now have the M3C as well. Is the M3C worth another two grand to fly? Can't answer that. I was fortunate enough to have the money and I truly enjoy the M3C. Under most circumstances, the subject matter that I video or photograph looks pretty similar with both drones. It's not like going from a Nikon Z6 to an Ursa mini broadcast G2. My perception is that the M3C renders a slightly better image. On some subjects it's more noticeable than others. The extended battery life is nice if for nothing else but tranquility. I usually land my M3C with between 40% to 50% battery left as I have gotten the shots I wanted. On occasion, I wanted a bit more battery life when flying the MP2. I do enjoy being able to set a top speed for the three flight modes with the M3C as well as cruise control. I also really like the little controller with a screen I.e. not pro. Plenty bright and no cell phone to have to deal with. It has never let me down within vlos. I finally received my ND fliters and the ND 64 does a great job of keeping me at 24fps, 180° sa, ~f 5.6 on sunny days even with the the 400 ISO offered by the M3C. At the end of the day I know I can launch either drone and the footage will be fine for my next feature film "Ogre eats Dallas". As far as the zoom, simply not for me. When I'm cutting drone footage with footage from the Ursa mini loss of resolution just bugs me no end. I can't even deal with the 2x/3x zoom the Hasselblad offers. To me it looks like I whipped out my cell phone and snagged some footage. I'm sure after letting youtube mangle a video nobody would notice though.

To Zoom or not to Zoom. That is the question.

Well, kind of anyway.

I have the MP2 and now have the M3C as well. Is the M3C worth another two grand to fly? Can't answer that. I was fortunate enough to have the money and I truly enjoy the M3C. Under most circumstances, the subject matter that I video or photograph looks pretty similar with both drones. It's not like going from a Nikon Z6 to an Ursa mini broadcast G2. My perception is that the M3C renders a slightly better image. On some subjects it's more noticeable than others. The extended battery life is nice if for nothing else but tranquility. I usually land my M3C with between 40% to 50% battery left as I have gotten the shots I wanted. On occasion, I wanted a bit more battery life when flying the MP2. I do enjoy being able to set a top speed for the three flight modes with the M3C as well as cruise control. I also really like the little controller with a screen I.e. not pro. Plenty bright and no cell phone to have to deal with. It has never let me down within vlos. I finally received my ND fliters and the ND 64 does a great job of keeping me at 24fps, 180° sa, ~f 5.6 on sunny days even with the the 400 ISO offered by the M3C. At the end of the day I know I can launch either drone and the footage will be fine for my next feature film "Ogre eats Dallas". As far as the zoom, simply not for me. When I'm cutting drone footage with footage from the Ursa mini loss of resolution just bugs me no end. I can't even deal with the 2x/3x zoom the Hasselblad offers. To me it looks like I whipped out my cell phone and snagged some footage. I'm sure after letting youtube mangle a video nobody would notice though.
I think you've illustrated my position and sentiments pretty well, at least at this point. My Mavic 2 is really a great drone and I don't expect a huge difference in image quality. The draw of the M3c is primarily the extended flight time. I'm REALLY enjoying that with my Mini 3 as I bought 2 ext batteries and the peace of mind that there is plenty of flight time almost can't be calculated. With my Mavic 2 and Mini 2 I'm always watching "the clock" to make sure that I don't get into trouble, often landing for tactical battery swaps. It is rare that I do that with my Mini 3, but only when I'm not sure how much longer I want to be in the air, or if I fly without topping off the batteries first.

I wasn't considering any sort of "upgrade" from my M2P, except that the M3C, with no tax and a $300 credit to burn makes the addition of this drone pretty cheap. I can add batteries or accessories as I go.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I'm sure after letting youtube mangle a video nobody would notice though.
you can shoot log profiles and grade them in HDR rec2020 colorspace, YT supports that: when you upload 10 bit HLG source, it keep it (without banding and another 8 bit issues). For nowadays it is best method to get HQ vids in YT

here is example of full log footage (d-log of air2s & v-log of gh5ii) graded in HLG rec2020

you can shoot log profiles and grade them in HDR rec2020 colorspace, YT supports that: when you upload 10 bit HLG source, it keep it (without banding and another 8 bit issues). For nowadays it is best method to get HQ vids in YT

here is example of full log footage (d-log of air2s & v-log of gh5ii) graded in HLG rec2020
I'll have to give that a shot. I set my intermediate color space to HDR to get the 10bit color gradient. I set my output to Rec 709 as my monitors are at that color space. I can't really take advantage of the extended color range grading on my monitors. I'll render one 2020 and see what the difference is post YT. Oh, and absolutely d-log!! I've come to really enjoy that codec. Can't quite get the latitude of Black Magic B-raw but still not shabby at all.

Edit::::: Just looked at your example. Pretty sweet!!

Can't quite get the latitude of Black Magic B-raw but still not shabby at all.

Thanx!

b-raw is amazing even compressed 12:1, also colors of BM cameras are extremely nice (compared for sony s-log3 or canon c-log colorescience)
Sometimes when I watch some YT vids, vids shooted by BMPC are immediately notice

I'll have to give that a shot. I set my intermediate color space to HDR to get the 10bit color gradient. I set my output to Rec 709 as my monitors are at that color space. I can't really take advantage of the extended color range grading on my monitors. I'll render one 2020 and see what the difference is post YT. Oh, and absolutely d-log!! I've come to really enjoy that codec. Can't quite get the latitude of Black Magic B-raw but still not shabby at all.

Can you do those settings with a DJI drone? FWIW I shoot in D-Log (with my M2P) and edit in Davinci Resolve 18 studio. I'm relatively new in the digital video world, having made a career in still photography. All the different settings can make my eyes glaze over. I still haven't found a basic LUT I like yet, so for now just approach color like I would in Photoshop. A lot to learn.

I am pretty much committed to buying one of the Mavic 3 variants this spring, maybe sooner (?). When I breached the question in another thread some folks said that I should be buying a refurb Mavic 3 vs the Classic. That sounded reasonable, but then I came across some information that pushed me to the Classic: The Care/Refresh costs.

If the difference between the Mavic 3 and Classic is only the 7x lens then it might need to be assessed how important that 7x lens is, because there is additional up-front cos for simply having that extra 7x lens. But additionally we end up paying an extra $140 premium for the care refresh premium, and more for standard repair deductibles, but over $200 more for fly-away deductible. All these "stacked" extra charges just for the privilege of having the 7x lens????

I've cut and pasted the care refresh costs and deductibles below for your convenience. To me they are eye opening. The one other thing I just learned is that you pay the premium which can take you out to 2 years, but you cannot renew it beyond 2 years. So if you're careful and don't have any crashes leading to a repair, we've paid all this money which DJI just puts in their pocket and your out on your own after 2 years with no ability to renew beyond the 2 years. What a racket. It's got to be a huge margin builder. Those Chinese bean counters have it all figured out.

At least for me the 7x lens isn't that important.
For those of you who have a Mavic 3, how often do you actually use the 7x lens????

DJI Care Refresh 2-Year Plan (DJI Mavic 3 Classic)
USD $259

View attachment 157867

DJI Care Refresh 2-Year Plan (DJI Mavic 3)
USD $399
View attachment 157868
I purchased the M3 before the Classic was even an existential thing. I am happy with the drone (sold the M2P), like the thought of having the 7x tele even I use is infrequently. Not sure if I had the option of 7x or no 7x what I would do now.

Can you do those settings with a DJI drone? FWIW I shoot in D-Log (with my M2P) and edit in Davinci Resolve 18 studio. I'm relatively new in the digital video world, having made a career in still photography. All the different settings can make my eyes glaze over. I still haven't found a basic LUT I like yet, so for now just approach color like I would in Photoshop. A lot to learn.
Yes absolutely!!!

In the edit workspace, click on the little gear at the bottom right corner. In project settings go to the side tab of color management. For color science choose Davinci YRBG color managed. For color processing mode choose HDR. For output color space choose SDR rec. 709. (Unless you have a 2020 capable monitor then choose rec. 2020 or Rec 2100)

After you import a clip, right click on the clip before putting it in a timeline in whatever bin you are using. In the pop up menu choose Input color space. Choose Dji D-gamut/Dlog. There is now no need for a lut. You have told Davinci what the color space of the clip is and Davinci is set to manage it.

Now go into the color workspace and start correcting/grading. It won't take much and things will start to pop.

Edit::: One other thought.. Set your white balance manually in the drone e.g. bright sunny day 5400. You'll be surprised at how accurate your black point is.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely!!!

In the edit workspace, click on the little gear at the bottom right corner. In project settings go to the side tab of color management. For color science choose Davinci YRBG color managed. For color processing mode choose HDR. For output color space choose SDR rec. 709. (Unless you have a 2020 capable monitor then choose rec. 2020 or Rec 2100)

After you import a clip, right click on the clip before putting it in a timeline in whatever bin you are using. In the pop up menu choose Input color space. Choose Dji D-gamut/Dlog. There is now no need for a lut. You have told Davinci what the color space of the clip is and Davinci is set to manage it.

Now go into the color workspace and start correcting/grading. It won't take much and things will start to pop.

Edit::: One other thought.. Set your white balance manually in the drone e.g. bright sunny day 5400. You'll be surprised at how accurate your black point is.
I’m not sure what my monitor is capable of. It’s an ASUS Pro Art PA279cv. It’s 4K but uses some trickery to be able to display 10 bit. Any idea if it can do 2020?

I’m not sure what my monitor is capable of. It’s an ASUS Pro Art PA279cv. It’s 4K but uses some trickery to be able to display 10 bit. Any idea if it can do 2020?I

On the ASUS website it says rec.709 That's not a huge deal. You can still get the HDR gradient between colors.

lol. Sure, the math works out if you're looking for the "best value." But if we lived our lives by that philosophy, we'd all be driving a 30 year old Yugo

I have no issues with the (over) price on the M3 and its Zoom lens. Im fairly experienced working with still shots but I'm just learning about video editing. This crazy Parallax Effect, for example, is quite exhilarating and a great feature to learn with.

I'm finding the Zoom lens to be the most underrated feature of the M3.

lol. Sure, the math works out if you're looking for the "best value." But if we lived our lives by that philosophy, we'd all be driving a 30 year old Yugo

I have no issues with the (over) price on the M3 and its Zoom lens. Im fairly experienced working with still shots but I'm just learning about video editing. This crazy Parallax Effect, for example, is quite exhilarating and a great feature to learn with.

I'm finding the Zoom lens to be the most underrated feature of the M3.
You do you. That’s fine. There are ways to look at “value” and trade in your Yugo at same time. Sometimes the question/choice and answer is binary; buy or not when only one scenario exists. But as I laid out in detail THIS particular situation can be far more complex. What do I NEED? If not need, what do I WANT? When do I choose or need to have it. In a given moment how much am I willing to pay for it. Do the willingness to pay an amount and my ability to really afford it coincide? Are there other conflicting purchases that influence my decision? Do any of the factors presented influence the binary buy/don’t buy?

To cut to the chase, the appearance of the Mavic 3 classic, especially as an à la carte purchase changed my thinking from entirely “not gonna buy at this time“ to “perhaps“ which led to examining options. The sudden availability of a refurbished model caused me to rethink everything. But examining needs and wants, price differences, and available cash, not to mention additional options made it more than a binary decision. And as you can see the total costs between options is significant. Anyone who doesn’t examine “value” in conjunction with their personal needs and affordability is either wealthy or stupid.

I just thought I would lay it all out for anyone who might be interested, or might be overlooking some of the other options and overall costs.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
You do you. That’s fine. There are ways to look at “value” and trade in your Yugo at same time. Sometimes the question/choice and answer is binary; buy or not when only one scenario exists. But as I laid out in detail THIS particular situation can be far more complex. What do I NEED? If not need, what do I WANT? When do I choose or need to have it. In a given moment how much am I willing to pay for it. Do the willingness to pay an amount and my ability to really afford it coincide? Are there other conflicting purchases that influence my decision? Do any of the factors presented influence the binary buy/don’t buy?

To cut to the chase, the appearance of the Mavic 3 classic, especially as an à la carte purchase changed my thinking from entirely “not gonna buy at this time“ to “perhaps“ which led to examining options. The sudden availability of a refurbished model caused me to rethink everything. But examining needs and wants, price differences, and available cash, not to mention additional options made it more than a binary decision. And as you can see the total costs between options is significant. Anyone who doesn’t examine “value” in conjunction with their personal needs and affordability is either wealthy or stupid.

I just thought I would lay it all out for anyone who might be interested, or might be overlooking some of the other options and overall costs.
I appreciate your take and I cant argue with anything you say. I didn't think we were arguing anyways...lol.
I agree, Personally, I don't need any drone.

I'm certainly not wealthy by any description but I want to learn a new skill and when I purchased the m3 the m3C was not available. Saying that, now that the M3C is currently available without the Zoom, I'm glad I have that particular feature. It adds a depth and underrated frill to my exploring while learning that I would not have had without it. I LOVE being able to utilize the Zoom at every availability. Is it worth the extra penny? probably not but its a moot point since I already had the M3 before the M3C was available.

When you're treating yourself to something you always desire the best regardless or not if you can afford it. There's nothing wrong with saving money and having something without all the options. The alternative is paying a bit more than expected and having everything.

It's the well known lifelong rub as an early adopter...pay more than it's worth to have the best of what's available at the moment. Thats what's, "binary," if you ask me.

I appreciate your take and I cant argue with anything you say. I didn't think we were arguing anyways...lol.
I agree, Personally, I don't need any drone.

I'm certainly not wealthy by any description but I want to learn a new skill and when I purchased the m3 the m3C was not available. Saying that, now that the M3C is currently available without the Zoom, I'm glad I have that particular feature. It adds a depth and underrated frill to my exploring while learning that I would not have had without it. I LOVE being able to utilize the Zoom at every availability. Is it worth the extra penny? probably not but its a moot point since I already had the M3 before the M3C was available.

When you're treating yourself to something you always desire the best regardless or not if you can afford it. There's nothing wrong with saving money and having something without all the options. The alternative is paying a bit more than expected and having everything.

It's the well known lifelong rub as an early adopter...pay more than it's worth to have the best of what's available at the moment. Thats what's, "binary," if you ask me.
Not arguing. Just clarifying the points I was trying to make.
I'm happy now that there is now a choice that won't break the bank to get most of the the M3's advantages without having to swallow a LOT more cost for what I consider a minor featuure. Before the M3C it wasn't a choice for me and I even bought a spare FMC for myh Mavic 2 so I'd have new batteries down the road. But immediately after I got the kit (thankfully I didn't open it) the M3C appeared and made me realize that the $300 shouldn't be spent on batteries for a legacy model, buut applied to the new one. My M2P still works well and the batteries have adequate life. And I'm glad to be able to us Litchi and othe 3 party apps that will not be available for the Mini 3 or Mavic 3 for some time. If I were to sell my Mini 2 without losing my shirt that may change my perspective on what I buy as well.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah

as I said when I made my post, you need to do what's best for you

I will say that a significant factor for you, sales tax, is not a relevant factor for a lot of people. I don't pay any tax on any purchase I make. I'm really not sure what percentage of drone buyers on this forum pay tax, or how difficult it is to dodge it if they do

Agreed. Just noted that difference since the OP was asking for differences.
The Classic jockstrap gimbal guard is also far less robust and protective on the Classic. They removed most of the fabric, so if you have no locking gimbal and a cheaper jockstrap, it is an issue to be aware of.

I'm happy now that there is now a choice that won't break the bank to get most of the the M3's advantages without having to swallow a LOT more cost for what I consider a minor featuure.

So your decision is made, go buy it.

The 7x is a great NOVELTY but I don’t see it as a serious tool that I would use more than once in a while. The additional TOTAL cost just for that feature makes the M3C a better value and a MUCH better value with my circumstances. If I could buy a refurbished model without the confiscatory sales tax which I would be absolved of at B&H, a refurb M3 might still be a consideration. But once you start stacking on additional care refresh premiums on top of sales tax, the price difference changes dramatically. Considering that just a few weeks ago I wasn’t considering a new drone at all the release of the M3C and ala carte packaging changed everything.

Right now flight time and (total) cost are the major factors combined with my Mavic 2 getting a little long in the tooth. Taking out the option of a refurb M3, the M3 is $2050 and forces an RCN1 on us. I already have an RCN1 plus the DJI RC. No ala carte versions are available at this time. I suspect if there were the price difference might be minimal, unless the M3C cuts into the M3 sales so much that DJI will reconsider. So to do the math, like someone else did above...

M3 (must take RCN1 in the package)
$2049
$399 2 yr care ref
$2448

M3C (can be purchased ala carte w/o controller)
$1469
$259
$1728

Add one battery =$1938
Add two batteries= $2148
Add 3rd party charger $50
Total $2200

Total difference M3 vs M3C= $722
Is the 7x lens worth a $700 difference?

Now lets consider the refurb..
M3 refurb (must take RCN1 in the package, I think)
$1749
$175 sales tax (subtotal $1924)
$399 2yr care ref
$2323

So, as sales tax cannot be avoided with the refurb it only reduces the difference between new and refurb by $125. Still the difference between the reburb and the M3c is almost $600 at $595. Again, is the 7x lens worth $600?

Can you buy a fly more kit separately from the M3, or are you forced to get it as a package. I'm not seeing it ala carte. The FMC gives you 2 batteries a charger some props and a useless bag.
So now back to the Refurb fly more combo...
So even getting a refurb with the FMC it's still $600 more than a practical package with the M3C.

$2349 (must take RCN1 in the package)
$240 sales tax
$399 2 yr care ref
$2988

Again, how much is the 7x zoom worth? Do I need more than 2 batteries considering extended flight time? And in my case, I have a $300 credit which can only be applied to what B&H has to offer. Obviously everyone is different. Different needs. Different sales tax structures.

Speaking of sales tax, if I can get off on a tangent here for a moment, the rough math on 10%-10.25% sales tax here, the reality is that actual out of pocket, is more like 13% (or more)- because the average Joe had to EARN $130 which got taxed by the fed, the state and some times the city first, leaving you with $100, which gets charged an additional $10. I dunno. I know. I'm more sensitive to it than most. But as illustrated above, the sales tax can be significant, especially if income is limited.
I have 3 batteries for my M3, but rarely fly more than 2, since the flight time on each battery is so long. I try to pay attention to which one I flew last to try to keep the usage equal. With 4 it would be worse. Of course, there are those who fly in cold weather and over greater distances where extra batteries make more sense.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf