DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Accident, vibration cut finger pads...?

YellowMavick

Reactions
First post here from me.. And its a word of warning for all Mavic pilots!

Today I crashed my drone. I was returning it home manually (like I always do) and was coming in for a landing while flying the mavic forward. So I was descending and flying forward at the same time. At the time of the crash, I thought I caught a gust of wind that took my Mavic down. However, upon reviewing the logs, I can attribute the accident to my over confidence and speed. I approached the landing a tad too quick and didn't back off on the descent fast enough. Anyways, the Mavic ended up hitting the ground at a modest speed (4km/h) and blew off 3 of the propellers with the angle it landed at. The motors continued to operate while the Mavic was crash landed, so I ran up to it and attempted to power it off in a panic (don't do this).

The Mavic was vibrating intensely as I tried to hold my finger on the power button. I held down for about a second before I felt pain on my finger, so I switched over to hitting the power button with my middle finger. The Mavic wasn't turning off (yes.. I know I could've used the emergency stop on the controller, but I was in a panic since I thought the drone was done for). Anyways, I began to feel pain in my middle finger, so I lifted my hand off and checked my hand.

The vibrations of the Mavic somehow cut into my finger tips and created a fissure ij.. Or so it seems. I can assure you that I did not contact any spinning blades for this wound to happen. I'm thinking that my finger pads were dryer than normal (winter + dry mountain climate) and the vibrations opened up the cracks in them..? Anyways, that isn't the point.

What I'm trying to say here is.. When you crash your Mavic, be sure to turn it off before you go to handle it -- even if the props do not pose a direct threat. Innocuous things like vibrations can cause semi-serious wounds such as the one I experienced.

I'm assuming I'll be flamed for this, but I hope some people will learn from my error.
IMG_8201.JPG

Reactions: Former Member
For the record, putting both control sticks down and in will kill the motors. Also, turning the mavic on its side or upside down instantly kills the motors as well.
Do you cut easily? I cant see vibration making those wounds. They look like cuts more than cracks.

bummer! lesson learned and not too bad of a cut. i got bit my my props hand retrieving it with a bit of over confidence. i bring her in slow and steady backing it in now and respect it.

That’s a flap laceration. The point was the initial impact and if you draw a line between each end, that is the penetration. Could have been sharp plastic edge, didn’t have to be spinning prop.
Sorry that happened bro. Thanks for sharing and warning everyone else. And thanks to the poster above on another way to power off in an emergency.

Sorry for your loss [emoji37]. I know about panic, I ran up to my Q500 (BIG blades[emoji15]) and cut my fingers open enough to get stitches. We all panic, just different things. It was a learning experience, not a mistake [emoji6]

It's a flying weed whacker....I got bitten too...same finger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J