DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 crash in seA

newasusi

Reactions
Hello guys, I had bought mavic air 2 in December 2020 and i am learning to fly. Yesterday i tried to fly it over sea and i was in tripod mode. As i sometimes gets confused with the keys, i was at abit lower height so i tried to press upward insted i was pressing down and it got crashed into sea. I thought sensor would work but it didnt and i lost my drone ?. Sadly i dont have any insurance. So is there anything i can do...i bought mavic air 2 only becuase it had good sensor and if not would have gone for mini one. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry for your loss. I am an experienced R/C pilot of over 40 years, been doing the drone thing since they came out.... all of that and I STILL get a bit nervous flying over water. It is always a risk. I did lose my first drone a couple years ago skimming 2 feet above a roaring river and flew sideways into a tree sticking up out of the high flowing river.

It happens, it sucks, but it happens.

Not much help, only condolences :-(

Welcome to the Forum sorry about the Air 2 sinking.

Dont feel to bad your one of many that have lost there drone in the Water and even if you did have Insurance, there is nothing it would pay for as the DJI refresh plan states you have to be able to send the drone back to them.

This is why loosing your drone in the water is the single worst thing that can happen when flying a drone and why
we recommend Rescue Jackets for protection.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Sorry for your loss. I am an experienced R/C pilot of over 40 years, been doing the drone thing since they came out.... all of that and I STILL get a bit nervous flying over water. It is always a risk. I did lose my first drone a couple years ago skimming 2 feet above a roaring river and flew sideways into a tree sticking up out of the high flowing river.

It happens, it sucks, but it happens.

Not much help, only condolences :-(
??..what about the sensors? Wasn’t it supposed to work?

Welcome to the Forum sorry about the Air 2 sinking.

Dont feel to bad your one of many that have lost there drone in the Water and even if you did have Insurance, there is nothing it would pay for as the DJI refresh plan states you have to be able to send the drone back to them.

This is why loosing your drone in the water is the single worst thing that can happen when flying a drone and why
we recommend Rescue Jackets for protection.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.
Will it still work if i find it today? I am planning to go back and have a look again...just in case it might have been brought to shore by the waves

Will it still work if i find it today? I am planning to go back and have a look again...just in case it might have been brought to shore by the waves

So if you watch this video of how we land with the sensor on you will see that its no match for the drone colliding into the water. As far as you hoping it surfaces , not a chance that drone weighs a ton and is at the bottom of the ocean.

If you force the drone past the sensors they will give on the landing .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain.

Last edited:
Not over water, no. It even tells you that in the manual. Even if they did, they’d just think you were landing and put the drone to land automatically. Sorry to say, your drone worked exactly as it’s supposed to and this is just pure error on your part.

it is almost certainly toast. It went into salt water under power, aside from corrosion issues either now or, if recovered, in the future, I would expect the salt water will have played merry hell with the electronics. I think the best you could hope for on that score was that there was a sacrificial component designed to VERY quickly kill the power in such circumstances.

It sank, it is in no way bouyant, it's full of ventilation holes., The only way it could have been washed ashore is if it fell in a tidal zone, Even if it did wash ashore it will probably have been bombarded with sand which will get everywhere. Plus water will almost certainly have got into the camera and even if the electronics survived you will have fogging issues..

With regards to sensors, are there not multiple warnings about the risks of flying over water in the manual? Including "The Vision Systems cannot work properly over surfaces that do not have clear pattern variations. The Vision Systems cannot work properly in any of the following situations. Operate the aircraft cautiously.a. Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, pure white, pure green).b. Flying over highly reflective surfaces.c. Flying over water or transparent surfaces."

You could perhaps post the logs and, if they are readable, it might turn out to be a drone error in which case you might have a chance of working something out with DJI but I would guess that the logs, if available, will simply show your ordered it to move in the wrong direction and paid the price.

Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is...
Are you going to get a new one? Are you going to fly the new one over water?
Of course you are going to do?
Because you like taking risks.
Like the rest of us... Or the most of us.
It is in your nature. ?
But before you take further risks do a little bit more practise.
What will be a life without challenges and a little bit of adrenaline ?

The Vision System has limitations.
From p17 of your manual:
The Vision Systems cannot work properly over surfaces that do not have clear pattern variations.
The Vision Systems cannot work properly in any of the following situations.
Operate the aircraft cautiously.
a. Flying over monochrome surfaces (e.g., pure black, pure white, pure green).
b. Flying over highly reflective surfaces.
c. Flying over water or transparent surfaces.
d. Flying over moving surfaces or objects.
e. Flying in an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically.
f. Flying over extremely dark (< 10 lux) or bright (> 40,000 lux) surfaces.
g. Flying over surfaces that strongly reflect or absorb infrared waves (e.g., mirrors).
h. Flying over surfaces without clear patterns or texture.
i. Flying over surfaces with repeating identical patterns or textures (e.g., tiles with the same design).
J. Flying over obstacles with small surface areas (e.g., tree branches).

Reactions: earth3rd
for everyone that still wants to fly over the water, there are some drones for you :)
Despite the fears of nervous flyers, flying over water is no more risky than flying over land.
You'd be better off flying over water with a cheaper, better DJI drone.

Reactions: Pietros and Kola
There is a lot more RISK flying over water because you have to Negotiate wind and the battery and if you are off by a few feet coming back the Penalty is steep. Also your prone to flying out further and have to worry about the birds.

and dont forget you have the Siren song that beckons newbies to the Water and getting low line shots. :p

Phantomrain.org
Coal

There is a lot more RISK flying over water because you have to Negotiate wind and the battery and if you are off by a few feet coming back the Penalty is steep. Also your prone to flying out further and have to worry about the birds.
Despite efforts to scare new flyers, that's not the case.
I've flown almost 4000 miles over the sea and know from extensive experience that it is no more risky than flying over land.
There are no risks flying above water that you won't face flying over land.

Despite efforts to scare new flyers, that's not the case.
I've flown almost 4000 miles over the sea and know from extensive experience that it is no more risky than flying over land.
There are no risks flying above water that you won't face flying over land.
So are we suppose to ignore all of the posts of drones lost in the water because it did not happen to you?
Like I said before it is your money to do with what you want but for me I'm not taking a chance.
No one is using fear on flyers but giving them a choice.
You do not make any sense because the difference is is recovery a drone on land or not recovering a drone at the bottom of any type of water. One gives you a chance the other gives you nothing.

So are we suppose to ignore all of the posts of drones lost in the water because it did not happen to you?
It's not complicated, the issue is psychological, not actual.
I also conscious of al the reports of flyers that have crashed or lost drones flying over land.
Flying above water you won't encounter any risks you don't encounter over land.
And those risks won't act any different to the way they do above land.

You do not make any sense because the difference is is recovery a drone on land or not recovering a drone at the bottom of any type of water. One gives you a chance the other gives you nothing.
Difficulty of recovery is a different matter and unrelated to the risks of flying.
But if you think you can recover on land, I guess you don't fly over trees anywhere.
It only takes one tree or high roof and recovery can be as unlikely as at sea.
DJI_0479-99a-L.jpg

Sorry for your loss so early in the game.

I agree that it is risky to fly over water. While I have not yet been able to go to the beach and fly over the sea due to this pandemic, if I do get the chance I will make sure I will maintain an altitude of at least 10m over the waves.

At the end of the day, I would rather lose a dramatic shot than get a dramatic crash.

Not to sure how many threads there are about drones being lost in the Jungle.
Its always the water because people are drawn to the Water and not the Jungle of Trees, Not me ever.

The Water is the Magnet , the Magnet is the Water, ? Dune movie lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring Rain and Remote Land on Water.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys