DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 crash in seA

As i sometimes gets confused with the keys, i was at abit lower height so i tried to press upward insted i was pressing down
I am fairly new and this still happens to me a lot. I am a regular pilot and in a plane when you want to go up you pull back on the stick and when you want to go down you push forward. It is hard to train myself to do the opposite with the left stick of the drone, especially when you're trying to react quickly.

p.s. I know you can customize the controls, but I figure in the long run I'm better off getting myself trained to fly a standard configuration in case I want to fly somebody else's drone or somebody else wants to fly mine.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
??..what about the sensors? Wasn’t it supposed to work?
What about the uninsured inexperienced pilot flying low over water and not knowing which way to push the joysticks ?

the sensors are an aid not foolproof, err ie not proof against foolish activity

sorry to be harsh but im glad you weren’t flying near people ,

get a new drone and learn in open space with reasonable height, YouTube is your friend as we here are too?

Hello guys, I had bought mavic air 2 in December 2020 and i am learning to fly. Yesterday i tried to fly it over sea and i was in tripod mode. As i sometimes gets confused with the keys, i was at abit lower height so i tried to press upward insted i was pressing down and it got crashed into sea. I thought sensor would work but it didnt and i lost my drone ?. Sadly i dont have any insurance. So is there anything i can do...i bought mavic air 2 only becuase it had good sensor and if not would have gone for mini one. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Sorry for your loss. I fly over water all the time and have experienced incorrect attitude readings and loss of sensors trying to figure out what is below the drone. My info is too late to help you. My approach is to assume I’m in total control and the drone cannot do anything on its own. I use a GetterBack and have DJI insurance. I still worry if the GetterBack will actually deploy. No way to test it other than trying it.

Sorry for your loss. I fly over water all the time and have experienced incorrect attitude readings and loss of sensors trying to figure out what is below the drone. My info is too late to help you. My approach is to assume I’m in total control and the drone cannot do anything on its own. I use a GetterBack and have DJI insurance. I still worry if the GetterBack will actually deploy. No way to test it other than trying it.

After we lost Two Phantom 4 pros in the Lake we stopped using the Getterback systems as they were not even close to reliable as we flew with 2 of them on the second Phantom 4 Pro.

I think there were to many variables that can cause those to fail. The temp of the water, the depth, and how old the Getterbacks are and the outside climate somehow have an affect.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and float your drone.

Despite efforts to scare new flyers, that's not the case.
I've flown almost 4000 miles over the sea and know from extensive experience that it is no more risky than flying over land.
There are no risks flying above water that you won't face flying over land.
Agreed. I live at the coast and fly my drone over the ocean literally 99% of the time. I have a personal 30ft "hard deck" that I keep the drone above and I've never had any issues (knock on wood). Conversely, I didn't drop a $1000 bucks on a drone without knowing that I could lose it at any minute. Lol. If you can't do the time, don't do the crIme!

Hello guys, I had bought mavic air 2 in December 2020 and i am learning to fly. Yesterday i tried to fly it over sea and i was in tripod mode. As i sometimes gets confused with the keys, i was at abit lower height so i tried to press upward insted i was pressing down and it got crashed into sea. I thought sensor would work but it didnt and i lost my drone ?. Sadly i dont have any insurance. So is there anything i can do...i bought mavic air 2 only becuase it had good sensor and if not would have gone for mini one. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks
So now you’re a sea plane pilot. Sorry.
Mistakes happen. I can only suggest you use insurance app Verifly. I don’t know what they cover but it may be worthwhile looking into until you get more comfortable. In addition, I am a CFI and always teach my students to be conservative while they fly. Now you know to leave yourself an out while flying. Flying low does not allow a lot of time to correct a bad decision.
enjoy the flying.

I am a lifeboat captain volunteer, and Screenshot_20210116-181746_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210116-181517_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210116-181554_Gallery.jpgas a practice we decided to honour a request from a drone pilot, who saw his drone sync in the water Given the last position which he send us by WhatsApp, we transferred the this in the chartplotter of the lifeboat and pulled Diver through the bottom of the lake. With the second leg we found the drone, and the diver brought it to the surface. We handed the drone over to the drone pilot, who happened to be a watch repairman. He dissansambled and dried up the drone, and when it was dry en assembled again, it was able to fly like it used to.

So, never give up on a drawn drone, but find a willingly lifeboatcrew, with knowledgeably divers and sitescan sonar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210116-181554_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210116-181554_Gallery.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210116-181517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210116-181517_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
He dissansambled and dried up the drone, and when it was dry en assembled again, it was able to fly like it used to.
So, never give up on a drawn drone
His incident was in the sea and his drone was dead less than a second after being submerged.
It's way past dead now.

Reactions: Prismatic
Despite efforts to scare new flyers, that's not the case.
I've flown almost 4000 miles over the sea and know from extensive experience that it is no more risky than flying over land.
There are no risks flying above water that you won't face flying over land.
Flying over water is riskier because the reflection of the water may confuse the sensor, besides that if you crash it's harder to recovery your drone.

No, it is the unpredictable behavior of water (the movement) that is confusing the calculations of the data receptors.

Like I said, so does ice, snow and glossy vegetation ‘confuse’ the sensors. All of these surfaces scatter light and can lead to the infrared sensors giving inaccurate readings that the aircraft’s flight controller is acting upon.

These are just some of the very many reasons flying over water is less risky than flying over land. Sure, if you land in the water retrieval may be more difficult but so too is retrieval when flying over trees, among mountains, buildings, pylons, fields of corn, marshes... the list is endless.

Flying over water is riskier because the reflection of the water may confuse the sensor, besides that if you crash it's harder to recovery your drone.
Thankyou for that information.
In 4000 miles of over-the-sea flying, I haven't noticed that.
But I'll look out for it in future.

ps .. confused flyers are a much bigger risk than confused sensors.

I've lost 2 mavic pros. So don't feel too bad. There's a learning curve involved with dones.

It's not complicated, the issue is psychological, not actual.
I also conscious of al the reports of flyers that have crashed or lost drones flying over land.
Flying above water you won't encounter any risks you don't encounter over land.
And those risks won't act any different to the way they do above land.

Difficulty of recovery is a different matter and unrelated to the risks of flying.
But if you think you can recover on land, I guess you don't fly over trees anywhere.
It only takes one tree or high roof and recovery can be as unlikely as at sea.
DJI_0479-99a-L.jpg
Have to agree with Meta 4 on this one, I do 90% of my flying over water and have no more worries than when flying over land. In fact, the fact that for the most part you have no third parties or any property directly below the drone is a plus from my point of view.

I have DJI Refresh but, I'm getting replacement isurance for this very reason as I plan to fly off of a boat frequently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929