DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2: descent during RTH

Ciobi

Reactions
After the new firmware update MA 2, during RTH, can not be lowered from the remote control before reaching above the RTH point. By pressing the left stick during RTH movement ,nothing happens. Does anyone know why this feature was dropped?

but i think you can just cancel rth and manually bring it down (or change rth altitude and reclick rth) - but would seem to make no real sense to me unless they want to ensure RTH works as set in the app and avoids end users accidentally reducing its altitude (maybe they have some records of that happening and drone losses???)

unless they want to ensure RTH works as set in the app and avoids end users accidentally reducing its altitude (maybe they have some records of that happening and drone losses???)
Except this has been a feature with all previous DJI drones (and still is) and hasn't been a problem.

Sometimes, when the battery was discharged and you were at a high altitude, they would advise you to start the descent earlier.Of course you can download the drone manually. Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the MA2 the drone that has the option to automatically descend from 'extreme' height during an rth? If I am correct, have dji by any chance reduced the height requirements for that automated descent or done away with it entirely?

Compared with their ground-breaking invention of enhancing safety by disabling left/right movement, this should not be any surprise .....
Yeah.....when would you use that?
I don’t so I don’t really know but I assume it will still drift with the wind.

Yeah.....when would you use that?

It's because the drone has no side sensors, so disabling sideways movement reduces the risk that you fly into an obstacle. Seems pretty annoying to have enabled though unless you are a beginner or are letting someone else unexperienced temporarily handle the controls.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the MA2 the drone that has the option to automatically descend from 'extreme' height during an rth? If I am correct, have dji by any chance reduced the height requirements for that automated descent or done away with it entirely?
After updating, MA2 returns to above the RTH point at the preset height and then descends. You can no longer descend manually while moving to RTH.

After updating, MA2 returns to above the RTH point at the preset height and then descends. You can no longer descend manually while moving to RTH.
I flew my MA2 30 minutes ago and was able to both climb and descend in RTH mode, provided I was above RTH altitude. I was able to climb and descend, as described, in both Smart RTH and Failsafe/Straight Line RTH modes.

Sometimes, when the battery was discharged and you were at a high altitude, they would advise you to start the descent earlier.Of course you can download the drone manually. Thanks to everyone for the answers.
I believe in the Mavic air 2 the manual it actually states that if the aircraft is far from the return point and it’s coming home in a low battery situation actually does reduce it’s altitude is high automatically I have to check in on that but I’m sure I read that when I first got my manual.

I wonder if DJI are using the Air 2 a a guinea pig for something else?
They seem to have made significant changes to its RTH behaviour both compared to other current models and with regards to itself over its own time line, or am I mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ciobi
I believe in the Mavic air 2 the manual it actually states that if the aircraft is far from the return point and it’s coming home in a low battery situation actually does reduce it’s altitude is high automatically I have to check in on that but I’m sure I read that when I first got my manual.

The power save RTH is in the manual. The conditions for it to kick it make it very unlikely most flyers will ever see it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028