DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 falls to the Ocean!

I was hovering because I want to take a nice pic. It was not in the 48 meg shot so I was changing it over. Then I look back in the sky and it’s gone!
Not sure if you have friends with a boat and scuba gear? Atleast you have a chance with DJI if you can recover it

Not sure if you have friends with a boat and scuba gear? Atleast you have a chance with DJI if you can recover it
Not really an option. We were visiting family. We did post on the local community pages to see if it gets washed up somewhere. Not holding much hope. ☹️☹️

The drone suddenly stopped transmitting telemetry data back to the controller when it was hovering at 47m. If the problem was on the controller side, the drone should have just hovered there but it was seen to plunge into the sea.

There were some problems with the vision sensors and IR sensors but they should not have caused the crash. The disconnection message was NOT due to the craft submerging in water but some catastrophic failure such as power loss or software crash while the drone was still in the air.

Technically the log alone should convince DJI that the drone malfunctioned. If DJI says no ask them what error you could have made to make this happen.

Last edited:
The drone suddenly stopped transmitting telemetry data back to the controller when it was hovering at 47m. If the problem on the controller side, the drone should just hover there but it was seen to plunge into the sea.

There were some problems with the vision sensors and IR sensors but they should not have caused the crash. The disconnection message was NOT due to the craft submerging in water but some catastrophic failure such as power loss or software crash while the drone was still in the air.

Technically the log alone should convince DJI that the drone malfunctioned. If DJI says no ask them what error you could have made to make this happen.
Yep I totally agree

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
You know I did an update to the latest firmware the previous day. Could that have contributed to it?
It's most unlikely that the firmware was at all related to the incident.

Last edited:
Ok I flew the drone the previous day with the same battery from 100%. It flew flawlessly. Put in back in its case and then did not fly again til the fatal crash. Battery was definitely in place. Just have to hope that DJI help me out. I believe I did nothing wrong
S

So sorry that you had this happen to you. I worry about this kind of stuff happing all the time. Flying especially flying over water. I hope DJI will see that you didn’t do anything wrong and will replace your drone.

I’m on the beach the weather is perfect hardly any wind. Great flying conditions. I get my air 2 up and 47 sec later it crashes straight into the ocean. I didn’t even see it fall as I was looking at DJI fly app to change from video to camera mode. It was only after speaking with other beach goers that I had found out it had crashed. Swam out to see if I could find it but it’s like trying to find a needle in an ocean!
Looked at the flight log and to begin with it said vision sensors were blocked but to fly with caution. 17 satellites connected. 75% battery with 22 mins left in flight time. Then aircraft not connected to RC comes up. That’s when my drone must of plummeted to the water. Do you think I have a case of drone/RC malfunction and can get a replacement from DJI?
Sorry to hear about your loss. Suggest you document EVERYTHING and then send off to DJI you may get a response in your favor. It is a crapshoot. They have had many issues that are simply not known to the general public that they quietly resolve.

Had a MA2 drop into a creek last weekend 'cause I was distracted talking to my buddy. It was under 4' of water for 5 min. Did a rice dry and it seems fine. Three things #1) Insurance. I pay only $60/year for all of my drones; #2) PhantomRain.org for RainSuit and Rescue Jacket. Just ordered mine this week. #3) Firehouse Tech Arc XL strobe and audible signal. Can help with retrieval.

The way I fly and film, crashing is always a possibility. I got lucky 3 times to retrieve them (twice in one week). Retrieval is key. Repairs are cheaper than replacement. I fly over wooded areas and water a lot. I'm not gonna fly over water anymore without my Rescue Jacket.

Flying over water is dangerous and risky. The manual says not too. So I doubt you'll get anything back from DJI
DJI have replaced drones that were lost flying over water, it does not void their warranty.
There's nothing that's particularly dangerous or risky flying over water.
Certainly there's nothing more risky or dangerous than flying over land.
Whatever you fly over, if the drone comes down, it's almost certainly going to be a write-off.

Flying over water is a lot like flying over land except there are no trees, powerlines, buildings or other things to run into.
On the plus side there are many great picture opportunities out there.
I've flown over 4000 miles over the ocean and I consider it's a safer environment for flying than on land.

DJI have replaced drones that were lost flying over water, it does not void their warranty.
There's nothing that's particularly dangerous or risky flying over water.
Certainly there's nothing more risky or dangerous than flying over land.
Whatever you fly over, if the drone comes down, it's almost certainly going to be a write-off.

Flying over water is a lot like flying over land except there are no trees, powerlines, buildings or other things to run into.
On the plus side there are many great picture opportunities out there.
I've flown over 4000 miles over the ocean and I consider it's a safer environment for flying than on land.
I'm always looking at it from my point of few flying real aircraft.

Ok I flew the drone the previous day with the same battery from 100%. It flew flawlessly. Put in back in its case and then did not fly again til the fatal crash. Battery was definitely in place. Just have to hope that DJI help me out. I believe I did nothing wrong
Does that mean you took off the second day with less than a fully charged battery?

I really do not know how many post I have seen like this.
I guess it was enough for me not to fly over my lakes without the rescue jack.
I know it will not help you but maybe the ones that have been lucky so far to think again.
IMG_0029.JPG

When I fly over water, I attach an aerodynamic shaped piece of styrofoam to the top of my Mini so if it does end up in the water I at least have a chance to recover it to return to DJI.
Yes, it flies a tiny bit slower, yes, the flight time may be reduced a little bit but at least I will get the Mini back (if I get access to a boat).

Reactions: maelstrom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki