DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2 falls to the Ocean!

Had a MA2 drop into a creek last weekend 'cause I was distracted talking to my buddy. It was under 4' of water for 5 min. Did a rice dry and it seems fine. Three things #1) Insurance. I pay only $60/year for all of my drones; #2) PhantomRain.org for RainSuit and Rescue Jacket. Just ordered mine this week. #3) Firehouse Tech Arc XL strobe and audible signal. Can help with retrieval.

The way I fly and film, crashing is always a possibility. I got lucky 3 times to retrieve them (twice in one week). Retrieval is key. Repairs are cheaper than replacement. I fly over wooded areas and water a lot. I'm not gonna fly over water anymore without my Rescue Jacket.

Just for the record rice dry is not recommended for electronic equipment. I know you hear it all the time but you can research why you should not do it.... here is just one source....https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Don%27t_Put_Your_Device_in_Rice._Here%27s_Why...

Reactions: Chrislaf
Had a MA2 drop into a creek last weekend 'cause I was distracted talking to my buddy. It was under 4' of water for 5 min. Did a rice dry and it seems fine. Three things #1) Insurance. I pay only $60/year for all of my drones; #2) PhantomRain.org for RainSuit and Rescue Jacket. Just ordered mine this week. #3) Firehouse Tech Arc XL strobe and audible signal. Can help with retrieval.

The way I fly and film, crashing is always a possibility. I got lucky 3 times to retrieve them (twice in one week). Retrieval is key. Repairs are cheaper than replacement. I fly over wooded areas and water a lot. I'm not gonna fly over water anymore without my Rescue Jacket.
Rice dry is not doing anything and is not recommended to dry electronics...

The real risk of flying over water, is the inability to recover the drone.
Without recovery, DJI will usually refuse warranty or refresh coverage.
This is the usual explanation for handicapping drones with cumbersome floaty contraptions, but DJI's warranty doesn't cover for improper modification of the drone.
It's ironic that the effect of these things is likely to be the opposite of what was intended.

Hello,
I found a small buoy that I can connect to 1 arm with velcro, I seem to remember buying it on Amazon.
It is named Getterback and is intended for the retrieval of a fishing rod.
After it comes in contact with water the buoy floates to to surface and a 100 m nylon line is connected to the velcro part still connected to the drone, thus you are able to retrieve the drone.

When I intend a prolonged flight over water I connect it to my drones leg before takeoff.

It's so small and light it has absolutely no effect on my Mavic.

Ruud

I’m on the beach the weather is perfect hardly any wind. Great flying conditions. I get my air 2 up and 47 sec later it crashes straight into the ocean. I didn’t even see it fall as I was looking at DJI fly app to change from video to camera mode. It was only after speaking with other beach goers that I had found out it had crashed. Swam out to see if I could find it but it’s like trying to find a needle in an ocean!
Looked at the flight log and to begin with it said vision sensors were blocked but to fly with caution. 17 satellites connected. 75% battery with 22 mins left in flight time. Then aircraft not connected to RC comes up. That’s when my drone must of plummeted to the water. Do you think I have a case of drone/RC malfunction and can get a replacement from DJI?
Bummer sorry to hear this. You should try to get a replacement but I heard you need the recovered drone. DJI will want the flught records.

Bummer sorry to hear this. You should try to get a replacement but I heard you need the recovered drone. DJI will want the flught records.
Well I’m in the process with DJI to find out if I can get a drone replacement. Sent the flight logs to them and I do have DJI care, not that is going to get me anywhere. Didn’t recover the drone ☹️ Wish me luck.

Reactions: MA2 317
Your data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Without the wreckage for DJI to investigate, it's going to be difficult to go far with this one but you could try with DJI ... sometimes people have been lucky.
Start a claim with DJI Best of Luck to you DJI Support – Here for You – DJI
I think they work more on a case by case
basis.

I was one of the Lucky ones I guess - I wasn't even using DJI app (Litchi).
I did have video and Litchi Logs to submit. I guess that provided enough info to see it was an aircraft failure and not operator error.
DJI never even questioned it just said is was covered for full replacement free of charge. This doesn't seem to be the norm.
Even though the Exclusions say lost product is not covered and you have to return the aircraft they still sent me a new aircraft, battery and props for free.
I had a previous crash with a different Aircraft and crashed it into a tree and tried to do a warranty replacement/aircraft malfunction (without a Care program in place and they said send us a check it was your fault not ours).

This is the plan I had with them (not a warranty plan)

1. Replacement Service

DJI Care Refresh is created by SZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd. (hereinafter "we" or "DJI") to give you peace of mind. DJI promises to provide replacement products if damage occurs accidentally under normal use to a covered aircraft, gimbal camera, battery and propellers within the period of validity. DJI has a relationship with an insurance company that covers the cost of these programs.
In the

3. Exclusions

The service does not cover:

1) Lost or partially lost product and accessories.

2) Stolen or abandoned product and accessories.

3) Damage caused by flight in unsuitable environments.

4) The remote controller or any accessories mounted to your product.

5) Deliberate losses.

6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.

7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.

8) Replacement requests out of DJI Care Refresh’s period of validity.

9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.

10) Damage resulting from unauthorized circuit restructuring, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.

11) Damage resulting from using under-charged or defective batteries.

Even with #3, that would be under extreme negligent case. After all, if you crashed, you flew in an unsuitable environment.

I'd be surprised if DJI manual, online training videos flat out say not to ever fly over water, but I could see them saying there are risks so avoid or be careful.

DJI had videos for the P3 particularly warning of the VPS (which includes ground distance ranging) getting confused. Granted that used ultrasound ranging whereas Air and later uses IR, but I would think IR would penetrate the water and mistaken the bottom of the body of water as ground rather than water surface.

Well I have an update from DJI. They are going to replace my drone!
They confirm. “The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis”.
“We would like to offer you a replacement Mavic Air 2 aircraft”.

Well as you can imagine I am delighted to be getting a new drone. Now I’m waiting to find out what exactly went wrong and how DJI is going to prevent it occurring again. With any drone out there. When I have the information I will post it here.

I look at the facts which are that despite common irrational fears about it, there's nothing about flying over water that's particularly dangerous or risky.

I'm most worried about an accidental landing.

Yes, I'm aware things like that are user error and there are ways to preclude this event in software.

Well I have an update from DJI. They are going to replace my drone!
They confirm. “The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our data analysis”.
“We would like to offer you a replacement Mavic Air 2 aircraft”.

Well as you can imagine I am delighted to be getting a new drone. Now I’m waiting to find out what exactly went wrong and how DJI is going to prevent it occurring again. With any drone out there. When I have the information I will post it here.

That's awesome.

That's a great result, everyone loves a happy ending.
Now I’m waiting to find out what exactly went wrong and how DJI is going to prevent it occurring again. With any drone out there. When I have the information I will post it here.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DJI to supply the info.

That's a great result, everyone loves a happy ending.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DJI to supply the info.
I think it will come. They said I could ask questions about the flight records analysis. So I’ll post here when I get it

Indeed there are less things to hit over water, maybe a seagull at the ocean or an overhanging tree at the riverbank. The real risk of flying over water, is the inability to recover the drone. Without recovery, DJI will usually refuse warranty or refresh coverage. Best bet is to purchase 3rd party insurance that covers all losses.
100%

Sorello lucky U :) Unfortunatelly another MA2 falled into the sea... Especially because it is mine :(
Dears I'd like to share my case and ask for advice.
Holidays in Turkey, beautifill beach, weather conditions perfect. I wanted to make some shots of my family playing in the water. So flew some meters into the sea on a altitude of approx 10meters. Then decreased to hover on 3m. Looked around for a moment and then noticed it is near the water - pushed stick up but it was to late - the drone drowned. I've analyzed flight records and seems that it decreased altitude itself from 3 meters, were I let him hover. Dont understand why. Could anyone look at my flight records as I'm not yet familiar with all signals.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20-09-09-02-09-54_FLY083.DAT
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom