DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 firmware 1.00.0511 released

This firmware update almost bricked my MA2 this morning.

Prepping for my first flight, the app told me there was a firmware update. I let it do its thing. After it reached 99%, the drone rebooted. Shortly after, the app told me that the upload had failed and the FW version being displayed on the phone was now 00.00.0000.

I tried clearing the app FW cache but it wouldn't let me reinstall the firmware. I started to panic a little bit then remembered the DJI Assistant 2 program was available for download. I quickly installed it on my Mac and with fingers crossed, clicked on the refresh firmware button. After a few minutes, the upload had succeeded and the app now reflected the latest version.

Oddly, the first firmware update I did was yesterday evening, and that went through without a hitch. And just a few minutes ago, the app updated one of my batteries which also was successful. So I don't know what happened with this latest firmware, but if you run into something like what happened to me, try with the Assistant 2 program.

You misunderstood. The battery that was in the aircraft during the aircraft fw update was automatically updated at the same time. Only the other batteries have to be separately updated.
Got it. Perhaps it got updated already that is why it is no longer updating.

Thanks for this ;)

I just finished running the update on controller first then on the MA2 using the DJI Assistant 2 for both updates. I shoot hyperlapse videos from time to time so the new cruise control feature caught my attention. The article in the link below touches on that feature a little but I really wish DJI's Release Notes on updates had more instructional info outlining how to use the new features they come out with. Heading to our local flying field shortly to see what's what.

You misunderstood. The battery that was in the aircraft during the aircraft fw update was automatically updated at the same time. Only the other batteries have to be separately updated.
I used battery no. 2 twice already and still no prompt for me to update its firmware.

Looks like you are correct and I was using battery no. 2 when the aircraft firmware was being updated and the battery firmware also updated. I will continue to monitor though, just to be sure Thumbswayup

Reactions: dawgpilot
I used battery no. 2 twice already and still no prompt for me to update its firmware.

Looks like you are correct and I was using battery no. 2 when the aircraft firmware was being updated and the battery firmware also updated. I will continue to monitor though, just to be sure Thumbswayup
Your assumption is correct that the battery you use for the drone’s FW update also receives any associated update during the process. You just need to fit your other batteries afterwards to make sure they also receive any update.

I already installed the new A/C firmware update 0511

There is also a new update for the battery firmware. Currently doing this ;)

UPDATE: Just finished updating the firmware on battery nos 1 and 3. I don't understand why there was no prompt to update the firmware on battery no. 2. Will try again and see.

Also, the A/C firmware update and the battery firmware update go hand in hand. There is a warning that if you do not update the battery firmware, this may cause some problems.
Same to me: bat. no.2 update and 1and 3 not.

I already installed the new A/C firmware update 0511

There is also a new update for the battery firmware. Currently doing this ;)

UPDATE: Just finished updating the firmware on battery nos 1 and 3. I don't understand why there was no prompt to update the firmware on battery no. 2. Will try again and see.

Also, the A/C firmware update and the battery firmware update go hand in hand. There is a warning that if you do not update the battery firmware, this may cause some problems.
When I’ve done updates in the past the first battery that’s in the drone during the initial update is automatically updated without the battery update prompt. It’s when you put the other 2 batteries in that the battery update pops up.

"Optimized RTH. If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 m to 50 m from the Home Point when RTH is initiated, the aircraft adjusts its orientation and flies to the Home Point at the current altitude."

The first time I flew my MA2, also as a beginner drone operator, I was still in the process of learning all the features - especially RTH. On a mid-week morning I went to a local empty park with a large open baseball field that had a row of large trees on one side. I wasn't planning on flying more than 100' up as this was my first time with a drone - I really just planned on takeoffs and hover 10' to 50' above the ground and fly the deserted baseball diamond to practice the stick controls... so as several YT videos I'd watched told me to do I set the RTH height at 150'. After about 50 minutes of flying on two batteries I was ready to call it but was curious at about the RTH... my MA2 was about 30' or so from me and 6' off the ground. I pushed the RTH button expecting it to come slowly straight towards me at about head level... instead to my shock and near heart attack, it shot straight up into the air heading to the 150' height I'd previously set and forgotten about. I thought for a moment it was the so called dreaded "flyaway" event that I'd heard of in some YT videos, then I remembered the RTH setting and hit the controller button to cancel and stop the ascent. Luckily I had not been under those park's trees as I would have definitely flown right up into them before I could have reacted. I guess DJI made the change from newbies like me ?... Thanks ?
I can envision a scenario where I’m in Sport mode in my front yard and decide to drop into the back yard at 15’ AGL to get a closer look at something and the house blocks the signal triggering RTH. I’ve only got a few seconds to CXL before my MA2 slams into the house or crashes into/through a window . . . Hmm. I may not like that. (I know, VLOS ?)

I can envision a scenario where I’m in Sport mode in my front yard and decide to drop into the back yard at 15’ AGL to get a closer look at something and the house blocks the signal triggering RTH. I’ve only got a few seconds to CXL before my MA2 slams into the house or crashes into/through a window . . . Hmm. I may not like that. (I know, VLOS ?)
I believe Loss of Signal RTH tries to backtrack a bit before initiating the RTH, so hopefully you would re-aquire the signal before the drone zooms into your house.

hmm wasn't there an option to hoover on loss of signal?

This firmware update almost bricked my MA2 this morning.

Prepping for my first flight, the app told me there was a firmware update. I let it do its thing. After it reached 99%, the drone rebooted. Shortly after, the app told me that the upload had failed and the FW version being displayed on the phone was now 00.00.0000.
For the record, I never update drone firmware via the app: only via DJI Assistant.
And I always update my "extra" batteries at the same time as the drone firmware.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
New firmware has been released for the Mavic Air 2. Here’s a complete list of changes:
  • Added cruise control for Free mode in Hyperlapse.

Note: Requires DJI Fly v1.2.2 or later for iOS version. Support for Android version will be added later

• Optimized RTH. If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 m to 50 m from the Home Point when RTH is initiated, the aircraft adjusts its orientation and flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.
The official release notes document is available on the Mavic Air 2 downloads page.
Has anyone had issues with this latest update causing the app to go black while flying?
It means you have to close the app and reopen while the drones up flying,
This has resulted in the drone crashing....
Any suggestions would be appreciated because I'm abit unsure about flying this drone too far with this issue

For the record, I never update drone firmware via the app: only via DJI Assistant.
And I always update my "extra" batteries at the same time as the drone firmware.
Regarding those batteries, how are you updating them individually in DJI Assistant?

Has anyone had issues with this latest update causing the app to go black while flying?
Any suggestions would be appreciated because I'm abit unsure about flying this drone too far with this issue
Not for me. I'm using Android and the latest Go Fly app (1.2.2) downloaded directly from DJI. Drone is also on 511 firmware. I flew out around a bit the other day. No issues to report.

I have two Mavic air 2’s and because of this new firmware none of them are flyable!!! One went completely dark out of nowhere; I believe the term is “bricked”. I put the a fully charged battery in it and did the double press and it stated for that a couple seconds then went completely dark and I have never been able to get it to turn on since. The other didn’t get bricked for some reason but still won’t let me fly because it says it can’t reach the server to verify that the account on the drone is mine. I have wifi, I’ve tried the assistant on my Mac, I’ve plugged it in and it doesn’t show on my computer. How can I fix the bricked MA2? Please let me know because they say they won’t service my drones because I’m in Mexico. Please help fix the brick!!!!!

Not had any problems with the latest app & drone FW. Curious as to why you crashed if you were restarting the app, the RC would still be connected to the drone, which means, assuming you left the sticks alone, it would just hover in place.

Reactions: DanMan32

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_