DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 (just confirmed by FCC)

I am still waiting to get my first drone. Yes I know the Mavic Mini is out there. A family member bought one and it is pretty cool from the few times i've piloted it. It's just some of the features that are lacking. The Air 2 will be removing features but I just can't wait for the Mavic 3 anymore. Do you think the Air 2 will be a good first drone?

I had a good lesson with the minI and I’m not up for that adventure again. I’ll be doing some lurking and reading on this new one and not make the error again. Something on this one that I posted some time ago was a detail that I noticed on the back of the arms. There is a seam line that makes me wonder if the arms are hollow like the mini. If they twist like the mini, I’m out.

The things I have read about the Mavic Mini are causing me some reluctance to order a Mavic Air 2 on release date, I just sold my Mavic Air and had been looking towards a Mavic 2. But, I prefer the compact size of the Air so am waiting (unless I see a great deal for a Mavic 2). If the Air 2 comes out with great specs, which it sounds like it might, it will be tough not to jump and grab one right away. I already miss the Mavic Air and I only dropped it off with FedEx this morning on the way to it's new owner.

Do you think the Air 2 will be a good first drone?

If it is anything like the Air 1, then yes. My Mavic Air was my first drone, very simple to learn to fly, just start off in beginner mode and take it slow until you are comfortable flying. The technology built into these drones make them very simple to fly, but you still need to be careful and aware at all times.

If it is anything like the Air 1, then yes. My Mavic Air was my first drone, very simple to learn to fly, just start off in beginner mode and take it slow until you are comfortable flying. The technology built into these drones make them very simple to fly, but you still need to be careful and aware at all times.

I agree with this, its an easy and good drone as long as a beginner takes it slow. Make sure to read up, do pre-flight checks to ensure everything is ready to go and do some reading on common mistakes. Too many people buy these things and then complain when the drone is gone, because they never learned common things about the mishaps (high winds aloft, weak GPS singnals, etc.)

One thing I really recommend for anyone whose never done it, is to go find a cheap low tech drone that is suitable for outdoor flights and learn to control it. What happens too often is these tech heavy drones are so easy to fly and so good at holding their position, that if something ever goes wrong (like a loss of GPS sats) people have no idea how to fly them manually and are surprised at how far they will drift with no throttle input at all and think the drone is "flying away". If you can manage and control a cheap small one in the wind, you'll do a lot better. My old Phantom 3 had an ATTI mode switch so it was easy to practice when I wanted, but the newer ones (without mods) can't be commanded into ATTI, and the first time you experience it can be a shock.

Same practice in terms of flying home manually (and not just relying on RTH), and such.

Don't want to scare anyone, they are great and easy to fly and very often trouble free. Just sometimes something happens, and the better prepared you are, the more likely you are to be landing home safely instead of posting on here asking where did your drone go?

Reactions: naiku
I agree with the point about trying cheap drones before investing heavily into the DJI range. Only flaw in that is you can go too cheap! My first one was absolutely hopeless at flying - period. I did buy a slightly more expensive one and that was ok to practice with before I bought DJI. But it's a budget call if you can afford to deliberately take the stepping up strategy. As a first drone it would most certainly be a good one provided you follow the advice on learning how to use it. Don't rely on the sensors and GPS - learn to safely fly it.

Most people unfamiliar with drones think we buy them just to watch them buzzing around. Maybe some do, as some drones are built for specific purposes but the Mavic ranges are primarily to take good quality pictures and video - and they do it very, very well indeed! Some investment of time and a learning curve to make the most of your video footage goes hand in hand with learning to fly drones.

Not a fan of the "rumored" new controller at all. I bought my MA instead of a MP2 strictly because of the size folded of both the drone and the controller. When folded up, my MA controller is a little smaller than the MA folded up. The new controller looks like it will be bigger than that and thus lose some of the portability.

I agree with this, its an easy and good drone as long as a beginner takes it slow. Make sure to read up, do pre-flight checks to ensure everything is ready to go and do some reading on common mistakes. Too many people buy these things and then complain when the drone is gone, because they never learned common things about the mishaps (high winds aloft, weak GPS singnals, etc.)

One thing I really recommend for anyone whose never done it, is to go find a cheap low tech drone that is suitable for outdoor flights and learn to control it. What happens too often is these tech heavy drones are so easy to fly and so good at holding their position, that if something ever goes wrong (like a loss of GPS sats) people have no idea how to fly them manually and are surprised at how far they will drift with no throttle input at all and think the drone is "flying away". If you can manage and control a cheap small one in the wind, you'll do a lot better. My old Phantom 3 had an ATTI mode switch so it was easy to practice when I wanted, but the newer ones (without mods) can't be commanded into ATTI, and the first time you experience it can be a shock.

Same practice in terms of flying home manually (and not just relying on RTH), and such.

Don't want to scare anyone, they are great and easy to fly and very often trouble free. Just sometimes something happens, and the better prepared you are, the more likely you are to be landing home safely instead of posting on here asking where did your drone go?

I'm looking to buy my first serious drone (MA2). I'm tracking with everything you're saying. I thought DJI offered GPS geo-tracking of your drone as a fail-safe.

Are there situations in which that feature doesn't work?

I have purchased several DJI products on release day, but this won’t be one of them. I had a good lesson with the minI and I’m not up for that adventure again. I’ll be doing some lurking and reading on this new one and not make the error again.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Reactions: Starz
I agree with the point about trying cheap drones before investing heavily into the DJI range. Only flaw in that is you can go too cheap! My first one was absolutely hopeless at flying - period. I did buy a slightly more expensive one and that was ok to practice with before I bought DJI. But it's a budget call if you can afford to deliberately take the stepping up strategy. As a first drone it would most certainly be a good one provided you follow the advice on learning how to use it. Don't rely on the sensors and GPS - learn to safely fly it.

Most people unfamiliar with drones think we buy them just to watch them buzzing around. Maybe some do, as some drones are built for specific purposes but the Mavic ranges are primarily to take good quality pictures and video - and they do it very, very well indeed! Some investment of time and a learning curve to make the most of your video footage goes hand in hand with learning to fly drones.

I bought a $70 drone on amazon to get use to flying. It probably goes like 80-100 yards out and start losing connection. Got it stuck in a tree twice now lol. Glad this one got stuck in a tree instead of a DJI. How different is it flying when looking at your phone? Im always in line of sight with the drone.

I will be saving up for the MA2, which will be my first real drone. I plan on doing cinematic videos with the drone.

Anyone know if this new drone will be CAA certified, complying with the new rules coming in from June?
if its isnt i think that would be a big mistake...

I'm looking to buy my first serious drone (MA2). I'm tracking with everything you're saying. I thought DJI offered GPS geo-tracking of your drone as a fail-safe.

The GPS tracking will work as long as:
1) The bird has a good signal from enough satellites
2) The controller has a connection with the drone.

Which is to say probably 98% of the time it works great. However, if you don't have enough satellites (usually because someone took off before it acquired enough, but sometimes lose signal when flying close to building or under bridges or things). Other times, a compass error (usually from calibrating or taking off near metal) causes the drone to have issues and could end up flying away if you can't get it down. If it stays within range of the controller, you'll find it, in the change it doesn't....

Again, these are not normal circumstances and if you are a little bit cautious you may never experience them. I'm just relaying things that seem to be common on the few "uh-ohs" we see posted here.

I bought a $70 drone on amazon to get use to flying. It probably goes like 80-100 yards out and start losing connection. Got it stuck in a tree twice now lol. Glad this one got stuck in a tree instead of a DJI. How different is it flying when looking at your phone? Im always in line of sight with the drone.

I will be saving up for the MA2, which will be my first real drone. I plan on doing cinematic videos with the drone.

Biggest thing on the phone is to learn to use the telementary. Most countries require you to be in line of sight anyway, but in case you aren't, if you know how to read the telementary you can fly it back. I strongly recommend flying it back manually as much as possible (instead of using return-to-home) so that you get the experience doing it,so you are able to in the rare time its neccessary. The good news is, if you learn to use what's on the screen, it's super-easy.

The fly app on the mini doesn't have shutter adjustment.

I really hope they don't go down that path.

The drones do have some features to try and help if something goes wrong so they will attempt to fly home if they lose connection with the controller and there are some obstacle avoidance features. The drones are far from foolproof though and these features should not be relied upon although having said that of the drones that are lost or crash here most have very simple reasons with people flying in winds that are too high for the drone, flying at very long range, flying at low battery power or a poor flight environment resulting in a collision with a tree, building or landing in water. Although there's some more complex cases on this forum and some drone faults for the most part the crashes are easily avoided.

I chose the Mavic 1 Pro as my first drone and felt it was better to get to know it well and be aware of its limitations and any possible problems that might occur during flight from reading the forums here. I did have it drop into atti mode where it loses GPS reception and it started drifting badly in the wind but I knew what to expect and landed it without issue despite having not flown cheaper drones. I bought a Mavic 2 Pro when it came out and haven't crashed either drone or had any major issues with them.

The fly app on the mini doesn't have shutter adjustment.

If it doesn't have any manual shutter adjustment, that's a deal breaker for me and I'd rule the Air 2 out immediately and be looking for a Mavic 2 (I still may look at a Mavic 2 anyway, but loved the portability of the Air 1).

I primarily used my Air for photos, not having that control won't work for me. I'd be shocked if they drop that though.

If it doesn't have any manual shutter adjustment, that's a deal breaker for me and I'd rule the Air 2 out immediately and be looking for a Mavic 2 (I still may look at a Mavic 2 anyway, but loved the portability of the Air 1).

I primarily used my Air for photos, not having that control won't work for me. I'd be shocked if they drop that though.
I just got a mini and the fly app doesn't feature a shutter adjustment - yet on my other drones dji go4 obviously it's all there.

Might replace my mini with an air.

I just got a mini and the fly app doesn't feature a shutter adjustment - yet on my other drones dji go4 obviously it's all there.

Might replace my mini with an air.

I would expect a big update for the Fly app to support the MA2 when it’s released. This is DJI’s 64-bit app going forward. We will see soon.

Reactions: tyflux
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111