DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Lens Cover replacement?

lukazoid

Reactions
Hi team ! Hey quick question, as I’m sure someone has had the same loss. I lost the clear filter that goes over the camera lens(not the gimbal cover). I asked DJI if I could buy a new one but they said they weren’t available to buy separately.
I was thinking of taking the 256 ND filter and taking out the lens. I never use the 256, but before I do, does anyone have a better idea ?is it wise to ruin the 256? My feeling is yes, as it sucks not having a frame on the camera . Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 91D60A04-A872-4B5D-859E-653D0994FEED.jpeg
    91D60A04-A872-4B5D-859E-653D0994FEED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
They don't really do anything except protect the lens. A UV filter will do the same thing. Or for something more useful, you might try a variable ND filter, and leave it on all the time.

Either of the above should work okay. Since you’ve already got the ND 256, and don’t see much value in it, it’s your least expensive solution.

I am actually taking @Hauptmann’s advice and keeping my new variable ND filter on at all times. I even flew better in the wind this morning, so I’m guessing it’s a better solution than flying into the wind with just the empty OEM frame (that doesn’t even have a piece of protective glass in it). The empty frame just looks like it causes more drag than a glass covered frame.

Either of the above should work okay. Since you’ve already got the ND 256, and don’t see much value in it, it’s your least expensive solution.

I am actually taking @Hauptmann’s advice and keeping my new variable ND filter on at all times. I even flew better in the wind this morning, so I’m guessing it’s a better solution than flying into the wind with just the empty OEM frame (that doesn’t even have a piece of protective glass in it). The empty frame just looks like it causes more drag than a glass covered frame.
Wow this is awesome advice thank you! Which variable ND are you using ?
and you find keeping it on works out ? Can you adjust it to be completely clear ?
There are situations I’ve found I prefer to have just the camera without a filter, so have been flying without the frame, and just a bit worried it’s got nothing covering the camera .

Reactions: Hauptmann
Wow this is awesome advice thank you! Which variable ND are you using ?
and you find keeping it on works out ? Can you adjust it to be completely clear ?
I picked up the FstopLabs VND filter, and am awaiting my pre-ordered VND from Moment to compare. Unfortunately even under the zero-stop setting, you’ll have a very slight tint. [Polar Pro ND filters work great for my older Mavics, but thought I’d try other brands this time around]

So I agree there’ll be times when no filter is optimal, and maybe your converted ND 256 idea would work, but I‘m thinking the previously-posted UV filter idea would best protect the camera.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi team ! Hey quick question, as I’m sure someone has had the same loss. I lost the clear filter that goes over the camera lens(not the gimbal cover). I asked DJI if I could buy a new one but they said they weren’t available to buy separately.
I was thinking of taking the 256 ND filter and taking out the lens. I never use the 256, but before I do, does anyone have a better idea ?is it wise to ruin the 256? My feeling is yes, as it sucks not having a frame on the camera . Thanks in advance !
i know the item you mean, but it doesn’t have a clear filter in it, the frame that goes on the front of the camera is empty, it just fills the slots in which the ND filters go in.

I’m going to purchase one of these when they become available mid July.

i know the item you mean, but it doesn’t have a clear filter in it, the frame that goes on the front of the camera is empty, it just fills the slots in which the ND filters go in.
Exactly.The empty frame serves no purpose except to cover the slots. I can't even get my frame off, so it is actually a hindrance! Can't use the filters if you can't remove the frame! :rolleyes:

Exactly.The empty frame serves no purpose except to cover the slots. I can't even get my frame off, so it is actually a hindrance! Can't use the filters if you can't remove the frame! :rolleyes:
Have you tried (while holding the camera steady) a push & turn on the frame? Once you get used to it, it’s quite easy

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I’m going to purchase one of these when they become available mid July.

Awesome ! Looks like I’ll do the same! Looks perfect ! Thanks so much dude !

Like @InvisibleName said, try pinching the camera and using your forefinger and thumb from your other hand to hold the top and bottom of the filter, while pushing in and turning counter clockwise. Once you do it 3 times, you can do it 300 with your eyes closed.

Yours might have a dab of glue on it like so many others have reported. If that's the case, try just the drop of wd40 in the seams to loosen up the glue.

Yours might have a dab of glue on it like so many others have reported. If that's the case, try just the drop of wd40 in the seams to loosen up the glue.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I have no trouble removing the filters from all my Mavic 2 Pro cameras, so It's not a matter of not knowing the proper technique.

Update: Just tried the WD40 technique. Took a couple of applications with a soaked Q-Tip, with appropriate twisting, but I noticed the frame was finally slightly askew, and then it finally broke free! ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup
I received my MA2 from Best Buy on the Saturday before the official release date, so it definitely was one of the early shipments. All better now! :cool:

Last edited:
Like @InvisibleName said, try pinching the camera and using your forefinger and thumb from your other hand to hold the top and bottom of the filter, while pushing in and turning counter clockwise. Once you do it 3 times, you can do it 300 with your eyes closed.
Indeed, were it not stuck on and unreleasable in its present state, possibly due to some glue, that would work. Dissolving the glue may fix the problem, if I can do it without getting WD40 all over the exposed lens.

Edit: The WD40 along the seams worked! Easy on off now!

Last edited:
Indeed, were it not stuck on and unreleasable in its present state, possibly due to some glue, that would work. Dissolving the glue may fix the problem, if I can do it without getting WD40 all over the exposed lens.

Edit: The WD40 along the seams worked! Easy on off now!

I’m glad it worked. Can’t explain why some are like that when mine just twisted right off.

I’m glad it worked. Can’t explain why some are like that when mine just twisted right off.
You da man! Thumbswayup
Clearly, mine was one of the first off the assembly line, as I received it from Best Buy on the Saturday before DJI even started shipping their preorders. Probably just a single guy in the first assembly line, gluing in the frames initially, not knowing they were designed to be removed! I just figured I would have to live with it that way. Glad you knew about the secret sauce! Glue dissolved! Mine twists right off now, too!

I just lost mine last night, spent all night looking in my bag for it and then all morning back where I had taken off from but not had any luck finding it. Seems DJI won’t supply them as replacement parts.

Does anyone who doesn’t use theirs (or has replaced it with a UV filter) want to help someone out? The only other thing I can think to do is send the entire thing back to them for accidental replacement but I’m reluctant to do that and would rather just pay someone for the part.

I can’t believe nobody is 3D printing these parts.

I just lost mine last night, spent all night looking in my bag for it and then all morning back where I had taken off from but not had any luck finding it. Seems DJI won’t supply them as replacement parts.

Does anyone who doesn’t use theirs (or has replaced it with a UV filter) want to help someone out? The only other thing I can think to do is send the entire thing back to them for accidental replacement but I’m reluctant to do that and would rather just pay someone for the part.

I can’t believe nobody is 3D printing these parts.
Thay sell them on eBay

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness