DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2, looks great.... so what doesn't it have?

Watching the review videos it sounds as loud as the original Mavic Air and not nearly as quiet as my Mavic 2 Zoom. Are my ears fooling me?

Yes, your ears are fooling you. Not sure how really how anyone can tell from a video without a comparison. Fortunately, one was done for us. Also, note that while the volume of the orignal Air was a little louder, it was the higher pitch that was really an issue. That is mentioned in this video as well as plenty of others.

I assume many of the limitations of the FLY app could be address third party if the SDK is released. Relying on the release of the SDK is my second guessing.

It's not really good or particularly useful information on that website.
It just lists the highest windspeeds at which various DJI drones can hover without being blown away in P-GPS mode with obstacle avoidance enabled.
Just because you could hover a Mini in an 18 mph wind doesn't mean you'd safely fly out and bring it back in an 18 mph wind.

My two cents worth:
I own a Mavic 2 Pro and an earlier (and heavier), 6-bladed Yuneec Typhoon H Pro.

Typhoon H Pro:
- Always a scary challenge with any breeze hovering 60 - to 100 feet in the air. It does not hover well; again my opinion.
- 30mph and above breeze. Good luck; check your insurance policy for flyaway details.
- Because of its large size, and the risks and shipping costs, I will not take this drone on any plane trips.

Mavic 2 Pro:
- Set it and forget it. Launch it; take it up to 395 feet; turn around; look up; look down; go out; turn around. Very steady!
- Never a problem for me in the breeze since purchase, unless you want to challenge heavy winds.
- Best example I can offer: May 2019; 1,600 feet off the coast of Maui (near the wind turbines). For those that have been to that spot; the wind never stops there. Nothing but water between RedBaron2 and me. Spectacular performance and results.
- Small enough to carry on a plane in carry-on luggage. Not questioned during final security in Chicago or Maui.

If you are limited to low- cost, buy the newest kid on the block. If your wallet can afford it, take one step higher and choose the Mavic 2 Pro, Smart Controller and Goggles (at least one step at a time).

My two cents worth:
I own a Mavic 2 Pro and an earlier (and heavier), 6-bladed Yuneec Typhoon H Pro.

Typhoon H Pro:
- Always a scary challenge with any breeze hovering 60 - to 100 feet in the air. It does not hover well; again my opinion.
- 30mph and above breeze. Good luck; check your insurance policy for flyaway details.
- Because of its large size, and the risks and shipping costs, I will not take this drone on any plane trips.

Mavic 2 Pro:
- Set it and forget it. Launch it; take it up to 395 feet; turn around; look up; look down; go out; turn around. Very steady!
- Never a problem for me in the breeze since purchase, unless you want to challenge heavy winds.
- Best example I can offer: May 2019; 1,600 feet off the coast of Maui (near the wind turbines). For those that have been to that spot; the wind never stops there. Nothing but water between RedBaron2 and me. Spectacular performance and results.
- Small enough to carry on a plane in carry-on luggage. Not questioned during final security in Chicago or Maui.

If you are limited to low- cost, buy the newest kid on the block. If your wallet can afford it, take one step higher and choose the Mavic 2 Pro, Smart Controller and Goggles (at least one step at a time).

DJI_0427.JPG

To be precise, the attached, un-edited photo was part of a panoramic series, and was taken 1,700 away from me in the parking lot. About 200 feet in air, and very breezy. No problems at all. Notice the wind turbines in the background.

Reactions: Korso and GregE
Both systems have an inaccuracy (watch your phone that draws a circle on the map). Having two systems improves the accuracy and hence make the drone hoovering more stable.
The position data is no better using both systems than using one.
The position error can still be +/- a few metres.
The drone still won't hoover regardless of GPS.
Comparison of hovering accuracy in specs of current DJI drones vs an old drone that used only GPS shows no improvement.

Mavic 2 pro
Hovering Accuracy Range Vertical:
± 0.5 m (with GPS positioning)
Horizontal:
± 1.5 m (with GPS positioning)

Phantom 3 Std
Hovering Accuracy Range Vertical:
± 0.5 m (with GPS positioning)
Horizontal:
± 1.5 m (with GPS positioning)

How bad is the Single IMU issue?

It's the one thing that has me second guessing my pre-order... Well, that and the use of the FLY app instead of GO4.

The Spark and Mini have Single IMUs, as did Phantoms, I think up to 3, so its not new for DJI. Would think 2 is always better than 1, but I don't think it is usually a big deal.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The Spark and Mini have Single IMUs, as did Phantoms, I think up to 3, so its not new for DJI. Would think 2 is always better than 1, but I don't think it is usually a big deal.

I'm hoping that they have at least updated the IMU with the technology available.

What it doesn’t have is the impressively small size of the MA1. I could literally get it into a jacket pocket. But you’d have to pack an extra battery due to the limited flight time.

That being said I’ll order the MA2 anyways. We would always have transmission issues with the MA1 at relatively short distances.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
My chief concern is how it handles in strong winds. The mini fly aways seem rampant in that respect. The Air2 seems to have some mass, so I expect it will do well, but I am cautiously awaiting the flood of reviews that will come in the next few weeks. The specs certainly look good on this one.

This video gives some idea of how well the MA2 will handle wind. I was quite impressed.

It should be good in wind, wouldn't trust ANY Youtube advertorial, but just looking at the weight of it (quite substantially more that the Air, and that handles wind quite well), and how it has decent lipo batteries for performance, unlike the Mini li-ion.

Some shortfalls are becoming apparent even before its release, I think that people are now looking a lot closer after the Mini introduction, and its ongoing issues.

Frankly I don't trust the battery design, they should have had that recess back so the lipos can expand just that tiny bit when warmed up in flight.

They aren't compatible with goggles, though once SDK is out and Epson get the glasses working with it, DJI will have to move there or they'll lose sales to Epson.

Not a fan of the Fly app.

Controller design = need to get a mount to run an ipad mini 4 / 5 (pretty sure they don't fit right in the controller clamp ?).

• APAS 3.0 and FocusTrack are not available while recording in 4K at 60, 50, and 48 fps, 2.7K at 60, 50, and 48 fps, or 1080p at 120 and 240 fps.
  • Tripod mode is 11mph, far too fast for any type of cinematic turns or flying thru or over objects with confidence.
  • Auto focus, auto aperature, no sharpness or image controls
  • While the Mavic Air 2 can export 8K time-lapse videos, not all of the video modes support 8K at launch
  • No tripod mode for Hyperlapse feature

Thank you for the information. I saw this in the specs as well. But on the RC of Air 1 only the Micro usb can be used for charge and with the flight simulator. The usb a is not working.Important which of the two usb is used for charging the controller. Micro or C?
The MA2 remote controller has two USB-C ports; one on the bottom (for charging the remote) and one at the top (for connecting the remote controller to a mobile device). It does not have a micro USB port.

My 2nd post about this topic clarifies my comment a bit more, in that we are not sure whether litchi will EVER be available, and if it does will it be like the DJI Go4 class of drones since this one uses DJI Fly App for really no good reason other than making things complicated. We get that Fly was for the mini, which is stripped down, but MA2 is not such a thing. The only precedence is the Mavic Mini at it’s already almost 6 months with no SDK in sight.
If eventually mini get supported by litchi with full functions, then I’d be much less worried.
I hope I am wrong, and Im only guessing here, but I think DJI are trying to separate hobbyist and prosumers from professional users, and that the division in DJI fly and DJI GO 4 represents this division. One group is supposed to be intrested in the boomerang and the meteor and the other of planned autonomous flights. Since you are alowed 5 waypoints for your hyperlapse the technology is there, but I suspect they want to keep the mavic Pro 2 and mavic pro 3 compare well against the cheaper air 2 by witholding lichi from us poor MA2 owners. like I said I hope this is not so.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman