DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 making a high pitched sound

felipeghiggi

Reactions
My new Mavic Air 2 is making a high pitched sound in flight almost the same as when the drone is turned on and does the ESC test and the engines move a little, but it keeps doing this in flight and I hear it when it's close to me , I also tested without the propellers and the sound is also audible.
I left here the video compressed in ZIP for those who can analyze and give me an answer if it's something normal or something I should be worried about.

Attachments

• VID-20220328.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 42
Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

If the motors doesn't feel notchy & rough when you turn them by hand (you will feel some resistance from the magnets = normal) ... and the motor bells/ prop shaft doesn't wobble ... the magnets doesn't touch the motor bells & no excessive vibration is generated from any of the motors, all is most probably fine.

Sans propellers, the drone will sound odd. The motor drivers are tuned to drive the mass of the blades and torque applied by the thrust generated. Unloaded, all sorts of harmonics are possible. In flight, the blades are also generating some high frequency harmonics as the 8 tips pass the body of the aircraft at 10,000+ RPM.

Sans propellers, the drone will sound odd. The motor drivers are tuned to drive the mass of the blades and torque applied by the thrust generated. Unloaded, all sorts of harmonics are possible. In flight, the blades are also generating some high frequency harmonics as the 8 tips pass the body of the aircraft at 10,000+ RPM.
I removed the propellers to better show the sound you hear in the background, which is that high pitched sound almost like a little scream. This sound I'm referring to is the same as what the engines make when they have the ESC test which is like a beep.

The motor controllers (ESC) excite mechanical vibrations as they drive the motors. Stepper motors are renowned for the high pitch noises they make as they work. The motors in our drones are very similar to steppers in construction and operation, and they make similar noises. Driven in unusual ways, they make a lot of noise, as in that startup beeping.

That sound is certainly not what I have ever heard off my Air 2 in the last two years. Send the file to DJI and to where you bought the drone and note it to them in case you have a warranty claim. It sounds like something is spinning against another surface, inside the casing.

Reactions: Yaros
I just did the same propless test and my Air 2 sounds exactly like the video, right up until the drone shut down for not having props installed.

However - if it bothers you enough then ask DJI or just return the drone for a replacement; but don't be surprised when the next one sounds the same.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan