DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 ordered and arrives Friday. 2 quick questions...

• Thread starter Deleted member 137163
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137163

Ok, I took the leap and ordered my Mavic Air 2 last evening and wow it will be to me this Friday! 2 more items I need: Landing pad and dedicated smartphone. Any input on a reasonably priced Smartphone (Best Buy is close and a possible quick pick up for me but I can ordered online.) I do not need the cheapest no name phone but it would be nice to keep it under $150. I would be curious thoughts on landing pads and sizes - I assume the 21 inch version is satisfactory but not sure. Darn, it isn't easy being brand new at something. Thanks to those who can assist and it is very much appreciated.

Welcome NH RE Broker, I am still a newbie too just received my MA2 last week.

After reading many posts on this fourm I ordered a TAB M10 FHD PLUS for $130. For me, it was the best deal for something new that I could try and return if I didn't like it. I also ordered a case with it. I almost bought a couple of different and more expensive tablets from Marketplace but would be stuck with them if they didn't work or would have to deal with reselling. I figured I would get something to get me flying and then could upgrade after I had more flights under my belt and would have more of an idea of what I really needed to fit my needs.

My TAB M10 FHD PLUS Pros and CONS
Pros:
  • Large HD Screen
  • Thin and light
  • Affordable
Cons:
  • No built-in compass
    • Can fly without it, the on-screen compass won't work, but not a deal killer for some.
  • The screen can lag when recording video (could operator)
    • Most others haven't had this problem. Last night I did a factory reset and removed all apps I could and then reinstalled DJI Fly App and added a faster SD card.... but have not had a chance to see if this fixed the issue for me, we have had high winds warning since... mother nature knows I want to test it lol
I made my own landing PAD from an idea I got from this forum, if I can find the original poster I will share the link to give them credit. It is made from one rubber gym floor interlocking mat. I bought a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set, 4 Pc.

Here's the one I made
landing pad2.png

Hope this helps, most people on here have way more knowledge than me and I am sure they will be glad to help you out.

Landing pad decision made and ordered through B&H - PGYTECH 29.5" (a bit overkill I imagine). I have heard of some creative landing pad alternatives on the forum. I will be using it for real estate photography so I wanted it to look professional! Still looking for input about a reasonable priced smartphone for dedicated use. Thanks!

I got my Air 2 yesterday. Why is everyone buying landing pads? I've taken off/landed from my driveway, parking lots, and my deck just fine... I'm sure the pad is better/softer, but this thing auto lands / takes off so smooth it's crazy :) I'm not anti-pad, just curious if I have to buy one now lol.

SabrToothSqrl (love the name!) I am not sure you do need it. I was told by a fellow pilot friend to do so. I believe the concept is to protect the craft from dust, dirt etc. Others with experience can add their 2 cents. Congratulations on the arrival of your MA2. I have 2 days to wait!

Landing pad decision made and ordered through B&H - PGYTECH 29.5" (a bit overkill I imagine). I have heard of some creative landing pad alternatives on the forum. I will be using it for real estate photography so I wanted it to look professional! Still looking for input about a reasonable priced smartphone for dedicated use. Thanks!
Nice!

I was at a cell site the owner of the tower had hired a company to map the tower and the guy pulls out a rubber "Welcome" door map and placed his large drone on it. :)

I got my Air 2 yesterday. Why is everyone buying landing pads? I've taken off/landed from my driveway, parking lots, and my deck just fine... I'm sure the pad is better/softer, but this thing auto lands / takes off so smooth it's crazy :) I'm not anti-pad, just curious if I have to buy one now lol.
For me where I live we have sand to deal with

Reactions: Howard70
Welcome NH RE Broker, I am still a newbie too just received my MA2 last week.

After reading many posts on this fourm I ordered a TAB M10 FHD PLUS for $130. For me, it was the best deal for something new that I could try and return if I didn't like it. I also ordered a case with it. I almost bought a couple of different and more expensive tablets from Marketplace but would be stuck with them if they didn't work or would have to deal with reselling. I figured I would get something to get me flying and then could upgrade after I had more flights under my belt and would have more of an idea of what I really needed to fit my needs.

My TAB M10 FHD PLUS Pros and CONS
Pros:
  • Large HD Screen
  • Thin and light
  • Affordable
Cons:
  • No built-in compass
    • Can fly without it, the on-screen compass won't work, but not a deal killer for some.
  • The screen can lag when recording video (could operator)
    • Most others haven't had this problem. Last night I did a factory reset and removed all apps I could and then reinstalled DJI Fly App and added a faster SD card.... but have not had a chance to see if this fixed the issue for me, we have had high winds warning since... mother nature knows I want to test it lol
I made my own landing PAD from an idea I got from this forum, if I can find the original poster I will share the link to give them credit. It is made from one rubber gym floor interlocking mat. I bought a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set, 4 Pc.

Here's the one I made
View attachment 125913

Hope this helps, most people on here have way more knowledge than me and I am sure they will be glad to help you out.
Jeff6645, thanks for all the detailed info. I like the landing pad and it could be a great additional item for me. I think I am going to start with a smartphone vs tab initially. Again, great information and thank you for taking the time to share.

Nice!

I was at a cell site the owner of the tower had hired a company to map the tower and the guy pulls out a rubber "Welcome" door map and placed his large drone on it. :)
That is too funny! It works and again I heard on this forum some cool/unconventional ideas.

SabrToothSqrl (love the name!) I am not sure you do need it. I was told by a fellow pilot friend to do so. I believe the concept is to protect the craft from dust, dirt etc. Others with experience can add their 2 cents. Congratulations on the arrival of your MA2. I have 2 days to wait!

Just like Scrat, I can never seem to get ahead. I get all my nuts together, then it all goes sideways :)

I might have to check out the landing pad now - makes me look more official lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Tig
Just like Scrat, I can never seem to get ahead. I get all my nuts together, then it all goes sideways :)

I might have to check out the landing pad now - makes me look more official lol.
SabrToothSqrl, Can I ask what Smart Phone you use with your new MA2? I own a flip phone and will buy a Smart Phone to be dedicated for the drone. I am getting a headache trying to figure what works with the MA2. Anyone else who has a good suggestion on Android phones I would appreciate it. I do not want to spend $200 plus for this use.

Reactions: Carll

I use a takeoff pad if I can't find a nice place to take off. I don't land my drone(s). Instead, I "hand" them.

Reactions: tlswift58
I just painted up a piece of plywood to set on the dirt. Here in the AZ desert, we have sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, and all manner of funky junk to goop up your aircraft. I painted a "bullseye" of sorts on it to give me an indication of center, and it's worked fine so far. Total cost = $0.00.

SabrToothSqrl, Can I ask what Smart Phone you use with your new MA2? I own a flip phone and will buy a Smart Phone to be dedicated for the drone. I am getting a headache trying to figure what works with the MA2. Anyone else who has a good suggestion on Android phones I would appreciate it. I do not want to spend $200 plus for this use.
I just painted up a piece of plywood to set on the dirt. Here in the AZ desert, we have sand, dirt, rocks, gravel, and all manner of funky junk to goop up your aircraft. I painted a "bullseye" of sorts on it to give me an indication of center, and it's worked fine so far. Total cost = $0.00.
I do like the cost and creative thinking. I guess, being a real estate broker, I went with the fancy blue circles with the H to look professional. I think the plywood is a) better cost and b) gets the job done especially in the desert.

I use my iPhone XR, but switched to a dedicated iPhone 8 Plus since I had that laying around. Both worked fine. It was annoying to keep swapping my phone in/out of the remote.

For portability and cost I recommend the PGYTech landing pad. Reason you want a landing pad is to protect the MA2 when landing and also to provide a clear picture when using return to home function.

For portability and cost I recommend the PGYTech landing pad. Reason you want a landing pad is to protect the MA2 when landing and also to provide a clear picture when using return to home function.
Saukas, great minds think alike! I went with the PGYTech 29 inch. Portability for sure. I am brand new with my MA2 arriving tomorrow. I had read that it did assist with the RTH function. I am still trying to figure a lower price end Android phone to use with the MA2.

I thought that the "H" on the landing pad was supposed to be a finite target for the establishment of the GPS coordinates of the drone. I was under the impression that I should hover 21 feet above the landing pad for 10 seconds to allow the GPS to get a "fix" location.

Also, I treasure the landing pad for take offs from sand, tall grass, watery area, mud, etc. I do hand catch if needed in areas of extremely un-even surfaces. I have the big, round. orange side/blue side foldable variety.
Dale

I thought that the "H" on the landing pad was supposed to be a finite target for the establishment of the GPS coordinates of the drone. I was under the impression that I should hover 21 feet above the landing pad for 10 seconds to allow the GPS to get a "fix" location.

Also, I treasure the landing pad for take offs from sand, tall grass, watery area, mud, etc. I do hand catch if needed in areas of extremely un-even surfaces. I have the big, round. orange side/blue side foldable variety.
Dale
I did the same orange/blue sided foldable. It just make sense to have one. I just looked at your website....amazing photography!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon