DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Crash - Can I still fly it?

Mogni

Reactions
Hi,
I borrowed my drone to a good friend for his honeymoon in South America. When he came back, he told me that on his first day he crashed the DJI (apparently his phone stoped working while he was in an automatic fly mode). Furthermore he told me, that he continued flying without any issues.

When I inspected the drone, I saw that on the left arm in front, the motor is now slightly visible (I attached a pic of the defect arm and one on the right side for comparison). The rotor seems to be safely in place but I wonder, if I could encounter any problems/issues if I continue flying it.

Did anyone encounter a similar problem or could help fixing it? Would it be sufficient to try and “press” it together (for now I didn’t want to use to much force and it didn’t work)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

(Sorry for any grammar mistakes. I’m not used to write in English)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 153
Thanks for the reply’s. He DID offer to pay for repairs but I wanted to check whether it was necessary...

Can anyone see what hes talking about? I'm on my phone and don't see anything abnormal

The only thing I see is a slight gap between the motor upper shielding and lower venting on the left prop motor probably easier to see in the real rather than in a photo

Reactions: Mogni
I don’t trust myself flying a Mavic Air so it’s hard to see how you can trust someone with this but you know him better than we do. Test it carefully and or contact DJI and do a diagnostic on it. Mavic Air are flying tanks and this one looks ok to me. Usually in a good crash the props don’t do so well

My Air does not have this separation, I think this is what he is asking about.

View attachment 61504
Thank you for the clarification @JDawg

If I were the OP I would spin the motor to see if there is any friction different than the other 3 motors. That separation can't be a good thing but not sure it's fatal. I would also check to see if the can is loose.

I don’t feel any difference when I’m spinning the rotor. And I can’t move the can at all. I’ll have a couple of test flights in an safe environments and will see how it goes.

Anyway, this has been super helpful and thanks to all of you for helping me out

Last edited:
Looks as if the magnet/commutator
Quadcopter-Motor-Direction-269x300.jpg
has been nocked out of skew slightly/lifted/pushed up

The full article with that image edited link (wrong)

Last edited:
wouldn't know without it in front of me
there's zero chance of the magnetic part coming loose but I would definitely worry about what's housing it i.e the gap showing
if it was mine I would get a new leg with the motor and replace it then take the damaged1 apart to see what's happened and o_Oif it's still okay

I am very curious how it is connected. Have you tried mildly pushing it down to see if there is play?
1549218905946.png

Sorry I remember you said the Can doesn't move at all. I would be nervous to fly this anywhere but my backyard. Something moved and maybe it can be reseated but I would be uncomfortable until I knew.

it could break free at any moment due to the knock only in the worst-case scenario
I would
check the motors as shown there at the start of the tutorial just by undoing the screws holding them on
The motors are held in place with 3 screws which can be accessed by removing the landing feet under each motor.
dji-mavic-air-teardown-antenna-attachment-749x500.jpg

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/wp-c...1/dji-mavic-air-teardown-rear-landing-leg.jpg
The same applies to the front legs with the folding antennas. You just need to remove a screw first.

Reactions: pvs
If you decide to tear it down yourself you will need a mini Torx set. I had an arm come loose and went to a nearby Harbor Freight and bought one that had the T4, T6, T7, T8, T9 and T10 and I ended up needing the T5:mad:

Reactions: pvs
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143