DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or Mavic Pro Platinum...or Mavic 2 Pro

twood20

Reactions
I have the money for any of the three options but don't necessarily want to spend all of the money. *Note: I do have a Phantom 4 and owned a Mavic Pro Platinum but returned it when I heard of the new Mavics release. I don't fly that much mostly due to time constraints.
Here's what I am most likely to do with a new drone:
-group pictures with family, friends, and soccer team
-aerial shots while hiking or practicing
-fun with active track while hiking or practicing
-photos while traveling
-general flying around wherever I might be

I've watched so many youtube videos but still don't know which is best. I also always have that thing where one is afraid of "missing" out on features. For example, I am really interested in the low light capabilities of the Mavic 2 Pro but it's probably not worth double the expense. Of course I understand the Mavic 2 Pro has a lot more to offer than that but I'm not a pro photographer or videographer and I don't necessarily spend a lot of time in post. Just don't have time. I believe I'm leaning towards the decision really being between the Air and Mavic PP...unless I come across some super compelling reason to drop the duckets for the M2P but it would need to be compelling.

Anyone who's gone through this or has some input I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... sounds like the Mavic Air would suit your needs best. Very portable, reliable ... a very good companion "wherever you might be"... even indoors!

I own both, a Mavic Air and since last week... a Mavic 2 Pro. The Pro is in my opinion (just a couple of flights in) just what it says: "pro". everything feels better and more professional. chassis, flight behaviour, noise, software modes, camera, flight time etc. etc... you can get more quality shots out of it. I personally bought it, because I want to grow into the possibilities, it offers me. On the other hand... it's also heavier and a bit bulkier, also with all the acessories you need.

So again: If I was in your position, I would go for a Mavic Air.

Reactions: twood20
Hmmm... sounds like the Mavic Air would suit your needs best. Very portable, reliable ... a very good companion "wherever you might be".

I own both, a Mavic Air and since last week... a Mavic 2 Pro. The Pro is in my opinion (just a couple of flights in) just what it says: "pro". everything feels better and more professional. chassis, flight behaviour, software modes, camera, flight time etc. etc. But it's also heavier, bulkier.

So again: If I was in your position, I would go for a Mavic Air.

I am definitely leaning towards the Air for all of the reasons you stated. Of course the price tag is also a huge factor. I want to make sure I don't regret going for cheaper just for the sake of cheaper though. I'll spend money if the value is there, and I know value is subjective. I also have that tiny thing in the back of my head that the MPP is an option because of flight time, but I think that Mavic Air with multiple batteries should suit my purposes just fine. I guess I'm agonizing over the decision because I"m trying to be smarter with my expendable cash!

I love my Air. I am toying with the idea of getting the M2P or a Phantom but the Air still exceeds my abilities so for now I’ve just invested some ND filters, a 4th battery and some decent editing software.

The fly more combo all packs in to such a small bag it can just be taken anywhere without even thinking about it and the image quality is more than good enough for most situations.

Don't get me wrong on this: I absolutely love my Mavic Air and I'm again and again excited on the picture quality, crafting and overall quality of this drone... and at that small size! That's the reason I won't give it away even now that I have "something better". That said, the Mavic Air is absolutely worth the price tag and it stands for a high value to me.

I think the smartest solution would be the Mavic Air for all the things you want to do with it + air upward :)

Don't get me wrong on this: I absolutely love my Mavic Air and I'm again and again excited on the picture quality, crafting and overall quality of this drone... and at that small size! That's the reason I won't give it away even now that I have "something better". That said, the Mavic Air is absolutely worth the price tag and it stands for a high value to me.

I think the smartest solution would be the Mavic Air for all the things you want to do with it + air upward :)
You've made a compelling argument of the Air. I now have the Air at the top of the list and will think on it a few days before purchasing. Thanks for your insight.

Reactions: calmar81
I love my Air. I am toying with the idea of getting the M2P or a Phantom but the Air still exceeds my abilities so for now I’ve just invested some ND filters, a 4th battery and some decent editing software.

The fly more combo all packs in to such a small bag it can just be taken anywhere without even thinking about it and the image quality is more than good enough for most situations.
I like the concept of spending money on the filters and batteries. That seems to be a good way to spend some additional cash but not the whole "wad". I definitely like the idea of the small portable package of the Air and if it's not that much more to pack a couple of extra batteries and filters then that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.

You've made a compelling argument of the Air. I now have the Air at the top of the list and will think on it a few days before purchasing. Thanks for your insight.
You‘re welcome! Of course, you can keep this thread / or me personally updated, if you like ;-)

Last edited:
im in the same boat (Air vs M2Z). I can afford either but just concerned about flight time and signal distance between the two. Also, the extra avoidance sensors seems like a good thing for a beginner. Just cant pull the trigger on which I think fits me better. I have the same use objectives as the OP. Don't want to get one and wish I had the other in a month (2 drones is not an option)

Can anyone speak on the difference/accuracy of the active track between the Air and M2P?

New member here....I was a "big boy drone" newbie too (I had a $150 cheapo for about 2 weeks before my nephew flew it into the lake) And I agonized over the same things you are. I bought the Air and couldn't be happier. I have 5.5 hours of flight time in the first 2 weeks and it has exceeded my expectations. Here's how I see it..., I have the Air and not the others so I don't even think about those drones anymore because I'm so excited about the one I do have and am focused on improving my skills with this one. Best of luck on your decision. You really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose.

I purchased the fly more package. The way to go as far as I'm concerned. When working on a skill, I want several batteries along so I don't have to stop flying and risk forgetting what I've leaned. Trying to get that muscle memory thing down so I don't have to think so hard about it each time.

I was in a similar boat recently but I went with the Mavic Pro 1 in the end. My Reasons:

-Range (my top priority)
-Occusync (which kinda ties in with the first reason)
-Battery life
-Good Image quality still, even if it's not the best.
-Still Portable enough to Travel with
-Not the most expensive in the range.

The air sounds good and of course it' smaller so slightly more portable, but range is important to me, not that I'd ever fly my Pro1 a whole 7KM, but at least if you are flying in a place which has a lot of obstacles like buildings and trees, you will still get decent range with the Occusync transmission. I did have a cheaper wifi drone before the Mavic which had a specified range of 300m. I could only get about 50 m out of it in most places before I started to lose video transmission.

I sold it and bought the Mavic Pro 1 and couldn't be happier.

I've heard the Mavic Air's image quality is better than the Pro1 and there are a few more flight modes, but the MP1 image quality is by no means bad. Far from it I'm very impressed with the image quality.

It all depends on what your priorities are.

New member here....I was a "big boy drone" newbie too (I had a $150 cheapo for about 2 weeks before my nephew flew it into the lake) And I agonized over the same things you are. I bought the Air and couldn't be happier. I have 5.5 hours of flight time in the first 2 weeks and it has exceeded my expectations. Here's how I see it..., I have the Air and not the others so I don't even think about those drones anymore because I'm so excited about the one I do have and am focused on improving my skills with this one. Best of luck on your decision. You really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose.

I purchased the fly more package. The way to go as far as I'm concerned. When working on a skill, I want several batteries along so I don't have to stop flying and risk forgetting what I've leaned. Trying to get that muscle memory thing down so I don't have to think so hard about it each time.
When you talk about working on skills, what types of specific things/skills are you doing?

I was in a similar boat recently but I went with the Mavic Pro 1 in the end. My Reasons:

-Range (my top priority)
-Occusync (which kinda ties in with the first reason)
-Battery life
-Good Image quality still, even if it's not the best.
-Still Portable enough to Travel with
-Not the most expensive in the range.

The air sounds good and of course it' smaller so slightly more portable, but range is important to me, not that I'd ever fly my Pro1 a whole 7KM, but at least if you are flying in a place which has a lot of obstacles like buildings and trees, you will still get decent range with the Occusync transmission. I did have a cheaper wifi drone before the Mavic which had a specified range of 300m. I could only get about 50 m out of it in most places before I started to lose video transmission.

I sold it and bought the Mavic Pro 1 and couldn't be happier.

I've heard the Mavic Air's image quality is better than the Pro1 and there are a few more flight modes, but the MP1 image quality is by no means bad. Far from it I'm very impressed with the image quality.

It all depends on what your priorities are.
Long range is not priority for me, but a rock solid connection within line of sight is. With the MP1 being sale it's within $100 or less of the Air's price point so it's an option I considered. However I think my debate is really between the Air and M2P. Less expensive vs double down and get latest and greatest. I think the Occusync vs WiFi issue is making it difficult to choose as well. I've heard conflicting stories about the Air's wifi. Some say it's not so good and some say it's never a problem. I am interested in more flight modes as that is something I want to start having more fun with. At this point I'm leaning toward the Air.

Reactions: adam3112
All are great choices. I bought a MP1 a few months back when it went on prime day sale and love it. There is a great comparison somewhere on this forum if you just do a search for “footage comparison” it should come up. Has a MP1, MA, and M2P. I would say the based off of that video the MA and M2P are both better than the MP1 in footage, but that does not discredit the MP1 at all. I think the only downfall off the MA is it is pretty loud.

All are great choices. I bought a MP1 a few months back when it went on prime day sale and love it. There is a great comparison somewhere on this forum if you just do a search for “footage comparison” it should come up. Has a MP1, MA, and M2P. I would say the based off of that video the MA and M2P are both better than the MP1 in footage, but that does not discredit the MP1 at all. I think the only downfall off the MA is it is pretty loud.
Noise is definitely a factor for me. I've seen videos comparing noise levels between the DJI magic drones. I don't know that there is one drone that is so much more quieter than the others that I could say for sure people wouldn't notice it. In that vein I don't know that any of the Mavic drones are quiet "enough".

I have the money for any of the three options but don't necessarily want to spend all of the money. *Note: I do have a Phantom 4 and owned a Mavic Pro Platinum but returned it when I heard of the new Mavics release. I don't fly that much mostly due to time constraints.
Here's what I am most likely to do with a new drone:
-group pictures with family, friends, and soccer team
-aerial shots while hiking or practicing
-fun with active track while hiking or practicing
-photos while traveling
-general flying around wherever I might be

I've watched so many youtube videos but still don't know which is best. I also always have that thing where one is afraid of "missing" out on features. For example, I am really interested in the low light capabilities of the Mavic 2 Pro but it's probably not worth double the expense. Of course I understand the Mavic 2 Pro has a lot more to offer than that but I'm not a pro photographer or videographer and I don't necessarily spend a lot of time in post. Just don't have time. I believe I'm leaning towards the decision really being between the Air and Mavic PP...unless I come across some super compelling reason to drop the duckets for the M2P but it would need to be compelling.

Anyone who's gone through this or has some input I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
Twood20,

Although I don’t own any of the larger Mavic drones I do fly a Mavic Air. I believe for what you plan on doing with it, this is what you want. The combination of size, features, performance and price I think would be a perfect fit for you.

Twood20,

Although I don’t own any of the larger Mavic drones I do fly a Mavic Air. I believe for what you plan on doing with it, this is what you want. The combination of size, features, performance and price I think would be a perfect fit for you.
On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being definitely buying the Air I'm at about an 8 right now. I'm kind of waiting to see if there are any holiday sales.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ottog