DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air or wait for Mavic Pro 2....

I'm currently leaning toward getting the Mavic Air. Reasons:

1) First drone, so not replacing a Mavic Pro or anything
2) Not sure about my usage habits but I think I'm unlikely to be pushing range limits. If I am it's because I have gone full drone in which case buying the MP2 will probably follow anyway. :)
3) Trusting that extra batteries will make up for lower flight times (see #2, don't think I'll be doing marathon video shots).
4) Better video, better sensors
5) Smaller means more likely to take it with me
6) I'm impatient :)
Forgot 7) Sounds like the MP2 will be a step up in price (like Air was a step down); I'm more comfortable at the lower price point.

Certainly these reasons don't apply to everyone, fortunately we live in a world with many options! The WiFi does seem like the largest point of concern - it seems to work better for some people than others. If it doesn't work out that will probably be why.

...who am I kidding, if it doesn't work out it will be because I didn't read the manual and crashed it on the first flight. :)

Last edited:
I just got my Mavic a couple of weeks ago and then saw the new Mavic Air being pushed. To begin with, I was annoyed that I had missed a new model, but now after reading and watching a lot of reviews, I'm glad I went with the Mavic. The Air is a good device, yes but in real terms, the battery is only good for 15 minutes flight time. That's close to half of the Mavic flight time and a big deal for me.
If the Mavic II, is as good as the leaks are making out, I don't think the Air will be much more than an improved Spark. For me personally, the full size sensor in the camera is the exciting news for Mavic II.
For now, I'm more than happy with my Mavic.

I’ve decided to cancel my order for the Red Mavic Air combo, I am concerned about the WiFi as I live around a lot of houses, I have a P3P, P4, Inspire 1 and Mavic Pro Platinum. Also the MA being substantial noisier I’ve decided to wait for the All new Mavic Pro 2.

I’ve had nothing but the best out of all my DJI drones and just have a gut feeling to wait.

I just got my Mavic a couple of weeks ago and then saw the new Mavic Air being pushed. To begin with, I was annoyed that I had missed a new model, but now after reading and watching a lot of reviews, I'm glad I went with the Mavic. The Air is a good device, yes but in real terms, the battery is only good for 15 minutes flight time. That's close to half of the Mavic flight time and a big deal for me.
If the Mavic II, is as good as the leaks are making out, I don't think the Air will be much more than an improved Spark. For me personally, the full size sensor in the camera is the exciting news for Mavic II.
For now, I'm more than happy with my Mavic.

LOL Same here, only had the MPP for about a month [emoji4] Waiting for the MP II as well!

Reactions: JMF
MP2! But happy for the ones getting MA, it should serve them well
as long as they fly it within its’ boundary.

I’ve decided to cancel my order for the Red Mavic Air combo, I am concerned about the WiFi as I live around a lot of houses, I have a P3P, P4, Inspire 1 and Mavic Pro Platinum. Also the MA being substantial noisier I’ve decided to wait for the All new Mavic Pro 2.

I’ve had nothing but the best out of all my DJI drones and just have a gut feeling to wait.
Amen!

I agree, but thinking about it - 1" sensor? It'd be great, but it's simply not going to happen.
Autel Robotics managed to fit a 1" sensor onto their foldable drone, so I am 100% Mavic Pro 2 will have that as well.
DJI will not leave the high-quality-picture-foldable-drone-market to others without competing.

EVO118A3006Edited-1024x1024.png

Autel Robotics managed to fit a 1" sensor onto their foldable drone, so I am 100% Mavic Pro 2 will have that as well.

Where did you read this? I'm seeing 1 / 2.3 and that's about 1/4 the size of the 1" sensor category (which confusingly enough isn't actually an inch across but more like 15mm).

I'm seeing the new Mavic sensor slotting between the current one and the Zenmuses to make it an improvement but not cut into sales of the other.

Int he end we are just making predictions. I think we can agree it'll be better and be competitive.

I see the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro 2 or what ever it is called as two totally different drones. The Air is a loaded Spark. The 2 should be an upgrade from the Mavic Pro. I have been happily been flying both my P4P and the Mavic. I think that the Air will be more portable when on my bicycle or motorcycle. Everything that you buy is a compromise and only you can decide if it is right for you.
I had a Typhoon H and while it was very stable it could not turn except at slow speeds. For me this was not acceptable and it was sold. If I find that the Air is not what I think that it is I will sell it also.

I'm currently leaning toward getting the Mavic Air. Reasons:

1) First drone, so not replacing a Mavic Pro or anything
2) Not sure about my usage habits but I think I'm unlikely to be pushing range limits. If I am it's because I have gone full drone in which case buying the MP2 will probably follow anyway. :)
3) Trusting that extra batteries will make up for lower flight times (see #2, don't think I'll be doing marathon video shots).
4) Better video, better sensors
5) Smaller means more likely to take it with me
6) I'm impatient :)
Forgot 7) Sounds like the MP2 will be a step up in price (like Air was a step down); I'm more comfortable at the lower price point.

Certainly these reasons don't apply to everyone, fortunately we live in a world with many options! The WiFi does seem like the largest point of concern - it seems to work better for some people than others. If it doesn't work out that will probably be why.

...who am I kidding, if it doesn't work out it will be because I didn't read the manual and crashed it on the first flight. :)
Never go full drone. Hahaha

Reactions: galfridus

Why do you have so many drones? And what do you do with them? Wouldn't keeping track of battery management be an issue?

I don't believe the MP2 will ship without rear sensors. That's sort of becoming the standard now. Makes that source less credible.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911