DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air out of control

The props are totally wrecked so there will be new ones. Allready calibrated the imu. Yes next test flight will be in an open field or on the lake where there are no obstacles.
So like when you're visiting the dentist & behaved and taken the pain ... you get a little something so you dare to come back ;)

Here you have some advises I've been throwing around intended to give beginners a better start. (The red you've already tested off in reality...)

1583694156874.png

Reactions: Murmansken
So like when you're visiting the dentist & behaved and taken the pain ... you get a little something so you dare to come back ;)

Here you have some advises I've been throwing around intended to give beginners a better start. (The red you've already tested off in reality...)

View attachment 96122

Im just glad that it was my own fault and not the drones fault ;) Learning the hard way, it could have been a lot worse.

And here is exactly that happening on this flight:

View attachment 96114
A textbook example.

I do have a couple of off-topic questions:
1. Flight Related: What do you make of the periodic oscillation in the GPS track? I assume it's real. Once it starts, it is unmistakable for the rest of the plotted flight. I imagine it's a function of some lag in the FC system and/or aircraft response dynamics.
2. Plot Related: I'm not sure how to interpret the small arrows that intermittently spring off each track. I assume they're a vector, but of what? They doubtlessly convey interesting information, once you understand how to read them.

Last edited:
A textbook example.

I do have a couple of off-topic questions:
1. Flight Related: What do you make of the periodic oscillation in the GPS track? I assume it's real. Once it starts, it is unmistakable for the rest of the plotted flight. I imagine it's a function of some lag in the FC system and/or aircraft response dynamics.
2. Plot Related: I'm not sure how to interpret the small arrows that intermittently spring off each track. I assume they're a vector, but of what? They doubtlessly convey interesting information, once you understand how to read them.

Good question. It's not actually the GPS track - it's the FC sensor fusion position solution, and I think the oscillations are an artifact of the disagreement between the GPS and IMU data. You typically don't see it in the raw GPS data, or in position data where the GPS and IMU agree.

The arrows represent the recorded aircraft heading at those points in the track. Not completely obvious, I agree.

Reactions: Prismatic
At one time, I was faced with the problem of compass and IMU in the Mavic Air. It happened like that; I calibrated the compass, it was a wonderful sunny day, I took off, flew a certain distance, I noticed that my horizon was leaving, and in a second my drone began to wear chaotically , and I got a bunch of messages on the display; compass error, IMU error, and so on. A drone at an altitude of about 100 meters threw from side to side. An attempt to take control of it by joints, was unsuccessful. But I was not at a loss and found a method take control of it by pressing the button Home, and the station stabilized. I was able to safely return it to the take-off place. After that I checked the compass (which worked and calibrated safely), I also checked the IMU (which also worked without problems) I also sorted out the log of this flight, where it was clear that in At the beginning, the compass failed and then the IMU, and that’s all. After all the checks and calibrations of all the sensors in their work, I did not notice any problems. Another day I had a good one, and all four batteries flew off. But on the third day the situation again changed, and everything happened the same (very good The drone was at an altitude of 150m and over the fields) it was thrown from side to side, and the Reset Home button again saved it. (In all the above cases, the compass was calibrated far from any metal and in open fields, in different places, there were also about 20 satellites ) .After which, the Drone was sent to DJI for replacement, and after the replacement, the urgently new Drone was successfully sold along with all its guts. After that, Mavic 2 was purchased and I forgot for all these problems. In conclusion, I want to say the following; even if you all calibrated everything on the Mavic Air, and you think everything is good , It is not so, I believe that this is not the case, and in this drone has a huge problem with both the compass and with the IMU, and I strongly recommend not to fly these drones in the vicinity of people or densely populated or sparsely populated areas. I hope everyone understands me correctly, I'm just sharing my experience. All clear skies and safe flights.

So what do I do if that happens again like it did for@Mr Mavic All and the imu and compass get in an dissagrement 100 meters up in the sky? Any tips and tricks are appreciated :)

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
So what do I do if that happens again like it did for@Mr Mavic All and the imu and compass get in an dissagrement 100 meters up in the sky? Any tips and tricks are appreciated :)
I have moded my Air such that the Sport mode switch puts the aircraft into Atti mode. As far as I know, switching to Atti mode is the only solution to a yaw error. You can read all about it in the software modding section of this forum.

As far as I understand, you need to replace the compass board and IMU (if you do not have insurance or the warranty has expired). I studied this issue, this problem was not only for me, and the solution to this problem was only the replacement of these two modules. I also recommend checking the joint calibration on the control panel, because I had a problem when I pressed the left joint down (to land or lower the height) the drone started to scroll from right to left, the same thing was with my colleague but with the right joint when he pressed the joint for flight forward, the drone flew in front but shifted I’m right. As I went into the calibration of joints in the control panel, I found the following; when I pressed the left joint down, the green bar went down and left at the same time, although I pressed clearly down. I want to pay attention to the fact that the logs do not need you they will not show, and with such problems it will be considered a PILOT ERROR, which is not true. There is information on the Internet how to fix this, but I did not do it, I had insurance for a drone, and I replaced all this with a new one and sold it with a new one, because I was not sure of the reliability and safety of flights on this drone. ; when they review the flight logs, and in one situation or another they say that this is a Pilot ERROR, this is not entirely true, there may be problems with the remote control and you will NEVER prove to DJI that this is not so, and you will pay even more money. Thank God for I had no such problems during the year of flying the Mavic 2, so always do those checking everything so that later they would not say that this is a pilot error.

At one time, I was faced with the problem of compass and IMU in the Mavic Air. It happened like that; I calibrated the compass, it was a wonderful sunny day, I took off, flew a certain distance, I noticed that my horizon was leaving, and in a second my drone began to wear chaotically , and I got a bunch of messages on the display; compass error, IMU error, and so on. A drone at an altitude of about 100 meters threw from side to side. An attempt to take control of it by joints, was unsuccessful. But I was not at a loss and found a method take control of it by pressing the button Home, and the station stabilized. I was able to safely return it to the take-off place. After that I checked the compass (which worked and calibrated safely), I also checked the IMU (which also worked without problems) I also sorted out the log of this flight, where it was clear that in At the beginning, the compass failed and then the IMU, and that’s all. After all the checks and calibrations of all the sensors in their work, I did not notice any problems. Another day I had a good one, and all four batteries flew off. But on the third day the situation again changed, and everything happened the same (very good The drone was at an altitude of 150m and over the fields) it was thrown from side to side, and the Reset Home button again saved it. (In all the above cases, the compass was calibrated far from any metal and in open fields, in different places, there were also about 20 satellites ) .After which, the Drone was sent to DJI for replacement, and after the replacement, the urgently new Drone was successfully sold along with all its guts. After that, Mavic 2 was purchased and I forgot for all these problems. In conclusion, I want to say the following; even if you all calibrated everything on the Mavic Air, and you think everything is good , It is not so, I believe that this is not the case, and in this drone has a huge problem with both the compass and with the IMU, and I strongly recommend not to fly these drones in the vicinity of people or densely populated or sparsely populated areas. I hope everyone understands me correctly, I'm just sharing my experience. All clear skies and safe flights.
As far as I understand, you need to replace the compass board and IMU (if you do not have insurance or the warranty has expired). I studied this issue, this problem was not only for me, and the solution to this problem was only the replacement of these two modules. I also recommend checking the joint calibration on the control panel, because I had a problem when I pressed the left joint down (to land or lower the height) the drone started to scroll from right to left, the same thing was with my colleague but with the right joint when he pressed the joint for flight forward, the drone flew in front but shifted I’m right. As I went into the calibration of joints in the control panel, I found the following; when I pressed the left joint down, the green bar went down and left at the same time, although I pressed clearly down. I want to pay attention to the fact that the logs do not need you they will not show, and with such problems it will be considered a PILOT ERROR, which is not true. There is information on the Internet how to fix this, but I did not do it, I had insurance for a drone, and I replaced all this with a new one and sold it with a new one, because I was not sure of the reliability and safety of flights on this drone. ; when they review the flight logs, and in one situation or another they say that this is a Pilot ERROR, this is not entirely true, there may be problems with the remote control and you will NEVER prove to DJI that this is not so, and you will pay even more money. Thank God for I had no such problems during the year of flying the Mavic 2, so always do those checking everything so that later they would not say that this is a pilot error.

I'm not diminish your problems in any way ... but what you describe isn't what happened in this case. Here the OP powered on the AC in an magnetic interfered environment carried the AC to another location & launched without checking that the drone icon on the map in GO4 was pointing in a direction equal to reality. This is clearly shown in the log ... and with this disagreement between IMUYaw & magYaw the "toilet bowl" effect was a fact.

The OP doesn't have to replace neither IMU or compasses due to this ...

Reactions: Prismatic

That's not what happened in your case though - there is nothing wrong with your compass or IMU. You just need to ensure that the aircraft orientation on the map matches the direction that it is actually pointing before you take off.

I'm not diminish your problems in any way ... but what you describe isn't what happened in this case. Here the OP powered on the AC in an magnetic interfered environment carried the AC to another location & launched without checking that the drone icon on the map in GO4 was pointing in a direction equal to reality. This is clearly shown in the log ... and with this disagreement between IMUYaw & magYaw the "toilet bowl" effect was a fact.

The OP doesn't have to replace neither IMU or compasses due to this ...
Yes, I understood what it was about, but I assure you that in Mavic Air these two unsuccessful boards with a compass and IMU can very much influence this. After buying the Mavic 2 and flying 42 hours and 700 km under different conditions, I did not encounter any more data problems. But with the Mavic Air there were similar problems and not only mine. Therefore, I share my experience and I want to say that everything needs to be taken into account.

Yes, I understood what it was about, but I assure you that in Mavic Air these two unsuccessful boards with a compass and IMU can very much influence this. After buying the Mavic 2 and flying 42 hours and 700 km under different conditions, I did not encounter any more data problems. But with the Mavic Air there were similar problems and not only mine. Therefore, I share my experience and I want to say that everything needs to be taken into account.

I think you were just unlucky. The MA has not shown unusually high incidence of this kind of failure.

Yeah, right ... but the thing is that jumping into hasty conclusions based on one told occasion & from that state that the IMU & compass need to be exchanged, this in relation to something totally different gives the OP of this thread a wrong advise.

Furthermore ... if you have a habit to disregard magnetic influence on a drones compass & constantly have Yaw problems from that ... you might think that switching to a M2 where you with the same bad habit doesn't experience Yaw problems anymore points towards that something fundamental is wrong with the MA. But the M2 have the ability to adjust the IMUYaw to the magYaw if a disagreement is noted by the FC.

Reactions: Murmansken
Yeah, right ... but the thing is that jumping into hasty conclusions based on one told occasion & from that state that the IMU & compass need to be exchanged, this in relation to something totally different gives the OP of this thread a wrong advise.

Furthermore ... if you have a habit to disregard magnetic influence on a drones compass & constantly have Yaw problems from that ... you might think that switching to a M2 where you with the same bad habit doesn't experience Yaw problems anymore points towards that something fundamental is wrong with the MA. But the M2 have the ability to adjust the IMUYaw to the magYaw if a disagreement is noted by the FC.

But note that the M2 will only do that if it is not moved after power up. For example, it would not have fixed the problem discussed in this thread.

I think you were just unlucky. The MA has not shown unusually high incidence of this kind of failure.
Guys, I completely agree with you, in this case described above by the pilot of Murmasken, it is possible that what you indicated above may happen. None of you are not responsible for the flights of the pilot of Murmasken. Therefore, I gave my example of how my Drone behaved, and how it could end. I do not insist on my version, but according to my observations and studies, I realized that in Mavic Air the operation of the compass and IMU is not stable and reliable even because of all sorts of details (which you as professionals cannot disagree with) therefore I would recommend that this pilot at least observe with your drone and follow all the instructions. Thank you for having this site and arguing about everything here, but the true ones are born in disputes. Thank you all.

Guys, I completely agree with you, in this case described above by the pilot of Murmasken, it is possible that what you indicated above may happen. None of you are not responsible for the flights of the pilot of Murmasken. Therefore, I gave my example of how my Drone behaved, and how it could end. I do not insist on my version, but according to my observations and studies, I realized that in Mavic Air the operation of the compass and IMU is not stable and reliable even because of all sorts of details (which you as professionals cannot disagree with) therefore I would recommend that this pilot at least observe with your drone and follow all the instructions. Thank you for having this site and arguing about everything here, but the true ones are born in disputes. Thank you all.

1- Right now, check to see if all the sensors in the IMU are working properly to make sure the aircraft has survived the crash well. From the GO4 app, go to the aircraft pane, advanced, and sensors state. Check if the two accelerometers and gyros are green, and have no error codes. In the same page, check the status of the compass.

2 - In the future, never power the aircraft in one place and move it somewhere else before take off. Pick an appropriate place to take off and power it on there.

3 - Make sure you don't take off near around metal objects that could interefer with the compass. Always check the orientation of the drone icon on the map matches the actual orientation of the drone before take off.

That should get you started.
I would add to always start RC first then the AC and shut down AC first then RC

... I realized that in Mavic Air the operation of the compass and IMU is not stable and reliable even because of all sorts of details (which you as professionals cannot disagree with) ...
I'm not sure exactly who you mean by "professionals", but I'm quite sure most if not all the experts here--and owners--will disagree with your assertion that the Mavic Air is characteristically unreliable in this way (or any other, for that matter). The MA is a proven aircraft. Failures of the kind and degree you describe are very rare.

You should explain at least some of the "all sorts of" details you mentioned if you think you have a strong case. Bold assertions without evidence are unconvincing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrmund
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986