DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air range question

Hello Mavic Air owners!

I'm currently in China and just crashed my Mavic Pro, so I need a new drone asap, and I'm considering the Mavic Air since it's convenient for traveling. I have a tendency of flying out of sight to see what's on the other side of the hill, but never further than 2000 m (~6500 ft). I will mainly use it to film nature and mountainous areas.

My question is: how does being out of sight and behind obstacles (i.e hills) affect the signal/reception of the Mavic Air? Is there any significant difference in signal strength compared to Mavic Pro's Ocusync other than the range difference (7 km vs 4 km)?

Would appreciate any help!

Be aware!!!! Mavic air range issues

Drone unable to return home, I was capturing footage of a castle that was about 100 yards away from me as I was panning around the building I intermittently received a warning-Loss connection I glanced at battery life about 60% , I had just purchased the drone less than a month ago so like most newbies I didn't feel comfortable flying my drone after a warning of that importance (ohh sht $800). So as I'm turning the aircraft around to fly back, another out of range failure fault only this time for brief few seconds the screen freeze, as the feedback returned and the low battery warning comes on, I'm thinking this is strange I just had more than half battery life (the warning is set to the factory default ), at this point my heart starts to pound and I just want the aircraft back in my hands so I select the return home button, I can see the aircraft going up and ready to return home, the screen freezes then goes black again I'm looking up hoping to see the drone, about a minute or two later feedback returns I can see the aircraft is descending but is nowhere near where it's original launched location another warning aircraft unable to land (it's trying to land on water) I quickly exit the land command and I take over switched the drone to sport mode as its low in battery I start to climb again the screen goes black and the drone is never to be seen again. I tried to contact DJI not to get a free replacement but to see if they would work with me on the purchase of new drone, after all I have battery's controller props charger that are less than a month old."we can't help you our product is too new for discounts " Not bashing DJI products the few images I was able to capture are really good, I just think that as a leading company they could do a better job at taking care of their customers. Be ware they don't work well with their customers

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
The Air is a fantastic drone and I agree that so many Pro users bash the Air because it’s release just make the value of their Pro drop. Sleek new design, lower price point, very much improved gimbal design, better camera, and rear obstacle avoidance sensors. The Air wasn’t meant to replace the Pro at all. Two different classes. But the bang for the buck is massive with the Air and it’s getting many Pro users to convert.

The Air is a fantastic drone and I agree that so many Pro users bash the Air because it’s release just make the value of their Pro drop. Sleek new design, lower price point, very much improved gimbal design, better camera, and rear obstacle avoidance sensors. The Air wasn’t meant to replace the Pro at all. Two different classes. But the bang for the buck is massive with the Air and it’s getting many Pro users to convert.
Yeah I loved that little guy for the short time I had with it, again not taking anything away from the quality built, aside from loss of comm. DJI customer service is what I think they should improve

I crashed it into an "Avatar mountain" (picture) in zhangjiajie while flying sideways. Flying the Mavic Pro behind these "obstacles" (mountains) did however not cause a problem to the video transmission or signal strength. Would that be the case with Mavic air?

Beautiful mountains!!!

interesting to see most of the replies here that say the Air is no good or cannot do this or that is by people who have never flown one or own one lol.
i have the P3A and P4 and the Air.The Air has better signal range in tests ive carried out then my P3A whilst in FCC mode and so far has matched my phantom 4 ..its that good i no longer use either anymore cos the AIr has a better camera and much more advanced anti collision ,,its actually ideal for 2k+ out of sight flying (ive had 5km from mine still with full controls mind you) because if it actually does lose signal it will climb up a wall or cliff face during RTH ....whats not to like lol

I know your post is a few months old, but since you wanted it from the horses mouth, i have a Mavic AIR, about 2 months old. Wont do more than 200m with LOS. Sometimes will do only about 100m LOS. Signal then disconnects. I own one and have flown one (the only one).

Be aware!!!! Mavic air range issues

Drone unable to return home, I was capturing footage of a castle that was about 100 yards away from me as I was panning around the building I intermittently received a warning-Loss connection I glanced at battery life about 60% , I had just purchased the drone less than a month ago so like most newbies I didn't feel comfortable flying my drone after a warning of that importance (ohh sht $800). So as I'm turning the aircraft around to fly back, another out of range failure fault only this time for brief few seconds the screen freeze, as the feedback returned and the low battery warning comes on, I'm thinking this is strange I just had more than half battery life (the warning is set to the factory default ), at this point my heart starts to pound and I just want the aircraft back in my hands so I select the return home button, I can see the aircraft going up and ready to return home, the screen freezes then goes black again I'm looking up hoping to see the drone, about a minute or two later feedback returns I can see the aircraft is descending but is nowhere near where it's original launched location another warning aircraft unable to land (it's trying to land on water) I quickly exit the land command and I take over switched the drone to sport mode as its low in battery I start to climb again the screen goes black and the drone is never to be seen again. I tried to contact DJI not to get a free replacement but to see if they would work with me on the purchase of new drone, after all I have battery's controller props charger that are less than a month old."we can't help you our product is too new for discounts " Not bashing DJI products the few images I was able to capture are really good, I just think that as a leading company they could do a better job at taking care of their customers. Be ware they don't work well with their customers

Welcome to the club. Get a token number and fall in line. This is what you can expect from DJI. My experience also is that they have the worst customer-centric support. Too money minded and a finicky product that's still in the works. In your case they could have easily verified your drone's purchase dates and at least helped you by giving you a drone only deal. They're not doing you any favors by even doing that, only laughing their way to the bank because of your fly-away. So might as well sell you a drone only. "Discounts" who asked them for a discount. Ah they are Chinese and hence will not understand what your trying to communicate or will at least pretend that they dont understand using language as an excuse.

But if cant do even basic distances like 500-600m etc I think it defeats the whole purpose doesn't it. I agree with you on sleek design, love it. Price seems ok (not high or low either) IF it does what they advertise. Agree with the Gimbal. Love the footage also, I have never complained about the footage.

But my AIR will never confirm HOME POINT SAVED. Doesn't fly farther than about 200m without signal loss (semi urban beach resort area). Cant do 70m straight up ROCKET type of shot manually without losing signal completely. Confirms HOME POINT SAVED in one out of 20 flights, which is worse and proves a bug, because if it never ever worked then we can assume its that way with certain flavors of android etc but it does it Off and On. The app saves video on the phone cache only at 10x speed. Tried on a different phone and its 3x sort of speed there. The files are saved as 3x etc, not a playback problem as the cache file was played back on different devices including PC and the video itself has been written at high speed or maybe skip framed. I could go on and on. Some people might say "then leave it" but we cant do that also right. We've spent so much money on it and want it to work, which is why we are here trying to find workarounds for basic promised features after paying full price.

If you’re having THAT many issues with your Air, I would suggest returning it for service. Or at least refresh all of the firmware to see if that fixes. However, only getting a home point saved in 1 out of 20 flights sounds like a hardware issue and does not represent the experience of the majority of Air owners. I follow these forums closely and you’re the first person I’ve seen to identify an issue like this about the home point so there seems to be an issue with your specific drone. Does the Air have the range of the Pro? Certainly not. But you should be getting more range than what you’re seeing.

I have taken mine out over 5,000 meters & in high traffic areas get blockage around 600 meters so the few range complaints are on you for not returning it

I have the air as well. Max distance in urban area is about 2000 ft. If you can’t get pass 200m the unit may be faulty or you have too much interference. You need to test in an open filed to find out. I’ve since installed 4hawks antenna on mine and I’m able to reach 1.6km where I was previously limited to 2000ft in the same location.

I have taken mine out over 5,000 meters & in high traffic areas get blockage around 600 meters so the few range complaints are on you for not returning it

Im in a country where drones cannot pass customs. They will be seized. Hence theres no return policy also. The shop that sold itself has informed me that there will be no Been there done that. So lets not go there, as this will then bloat into an argument, i can sense it brewing now, with the fault is on me kind of accusatory statements. But i have a right to express my opinion i hope, like you do. I was corroborating the post about the problems. Its just sharing opinion and experience. i dont intend you to SOLVE my problem so dont make this into an argument. Irrespective of whether i got a dud or not, doesn't mean i should zip up and not let others know about my experiences.

Currently my workaround has been to fly away and then manually trigger RTH and ensure its returning home physically and then go flying. But boot up, then GPS hunt, then camera settings before flying, then RTH test, finally i have about 7 minutes of flight time. Its in CE mode however and im yet to do the hack and get it into FCC. While everyone mentions the hack, they never say if the hack stays permanent or if flyers require to do it time and time again.

We're not trying to attack you...we're just trying to explain that you are definitely in the minority with this particular issue. Based on what you're saying about the shop that sold it to you, I'm wondering if there was an issue with the unit and they knew about it.

Im in a country where drones cannot pass customs. They will be seized. Hence theres no return policy also. The shop that sold itself has informed me that there will be no Been there done that. So lets not go there, as this will then bloat into an argument, i can sense it brewing now, with the fault is on me kind of accusatory statements. But i have a right to express my opinion i hope, like you do. I was corroborating the post about the problems. Its just sharing opinion and experience. i dont intend you to SOLVE my problem so dont make this into an argument. Irrespective of whether i got a dud or not, doesnt mean i should zip up and not let others know about my experiences.

Get a grip bud...

Don’t complain if you know you’re in a country with that many issues. No argument needed as you pretty much put yourself out there and without a doubt buying products where the seller is hands off after the purchase is a risk

:rolleyes:
I can see you’re sensitive so feel free to have the last word since you can’t figure it out on your own

Last edited:
Get a grip bud...

Don’t complain if you know you’re in a country with that many issues. No argument needed as you pretty much put yourself out there and without a doubt buying products where the seller is hands off after the purchase is a risk

There we go. I know. Im not asking you to rectify my situation. Chill out. LOL.

PS : I wasnt complaining. I was just sharing my experience of my crippled drone. Who on earth are you to say i shouldn't ?

If you have an autistic child, you cant throw him in the river LOL. I paid for this, its worth more than an autistic child. But i cant hide the fact that my child is autistic either. So im just letting people know my experience.

Its in CE mode however and im yet to do the hack and get it into FCC. While everyone mentions the hack, they never say if the hack stays permanent or if flyers require to do it time and time again.

Not here to argue with you either, but if you research the FCC hack properly, you’ll find that, once applied, all you need to do is select “cancel” when it prompts you for a region change - that’s all, simple!

We're not trying to attack you...we're just trying to explain that you are definitely in the minority with this particular issue. Based on what you're saying about the shop that sold it to you, I'm wondering if there was an issue with the unit and they knew about it.

Hi, i never implied you. :). So peace.
Ill put it very simply. Its not me. Everyone in my country buys it without warranty and no seller responsibility. So i got a handicapped unit, fine. But why some members get so kicked when i share my experience about getting a dud is beyond my comprehension.

There we go. I know. Im not asking you to rectify my situation. Chill out. LOL.

PS : I wasnt complaining. I was just sharing my experience of my crippled drone. Who on earth are you to say i shouldn't ?

If you have an autistic child, you cant throw him in the river LOL. I paid for this, its worth more than an autistic child. But i cant hide the fact that my child is autistic either. So im just letting people know my experience.

I can see you like to argue about things that were factually not implied so feel free to continue on your keyboard commando tangent with somebody else.

LMAO

Not here to argue with you either, but if you research the FCC hack properly, you’ll find that, once applied, all you need to do is select “cancel” when it prompts you for a region change - that’s all, simple!

Hi Invisible, i only meant one member was making a fight out of it. Not you or the others. :). Sure thanks ill try the FCC hack and see if it helps. Again im not here to complain. I was responding to someone else by letting him know that im having problems like that too, that's all. I know i cant solve my problem, that's a different subject for a different day.

I can see you like to argue about things that were factually not implied so feel free to continue on your keyboard commando tangent with somebody else.

LMAO

Who even spoke to you or asked for your opinion. You keep typing and go your way. Dont like my post, dont read it ;) .

Who even spoke to you or asked for your opinion. You keep typing. Byeee.

I remember my first forum

Who even spoke to you or asked for your opinion. You keep typing and go your way. Dont like my post, dont read it ;) .

Feel free to edit your posts 20x
You tell people to not read your post yet you don’t like mine and keep reading...

I known the internet is a scary place so take a break kiddo

You were the first to approach/reply me.

Byeeee dude.
Kids these days

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1