DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Reviews

I'm glad others think the Air is too expensive. We almost have to get the FM package, putting the price at $1000. I have been on the Autel forum for the last month or so, watching close. You will see many posts where Autel has promised / announced products and they never materialized. Not my words, owners of Autel products. Sure, it happens, but now it's wait and see. I have heard a June time frame for production, but it's anyone's guess. These products, Air, MP, EVO, ... anything in the $1000 price range (and let's not assume the $800 price with one battery is practical) are not Hobby drones. These are serious Equipment offerings for those employed to shoot aerial video. As a Hobby product, there are SO MANY other things to spend $1000 on. I find it frustrating watching the upper-end products come out - ya, sure, we could all spend $4500 on a drone - but how crazy is that with all the limited flight space. This price point is for the upper 2% of the flyers. IMO the $1000 price point is for the upper 25% of the flyers. The rest buy used - a great idea as you can save a good 30% of the price - and look at all the drones for sale. There are ton's all over, lots of DJI products, some still in the box, unused - but these guys want to recoup most of their investment - I feel sorry for them.

The Pattern plane you see in my Avatar, $500, pre-covered, the motor, $50, the ESC $45, the servo's, $30 each x 4. Much more fun to fly, but of course, no camera, but really, for most of us, taking movies of remote areas gets boring quickly - one reason so many for sale.

For flight time, I am now looking for a MP used, for around $700 - something that is worth it to me for flight time and the controller. Just my opinion.

Mavic Air = Glorified spark.

Great entry level selfie drone !

Calling the Mavic Air a selfie drone is pretty derogatory and misleading. An experienced drone pilot/videographer will get far more interesting, dramatic and professional looking footage than a rookie with an Inspire 2. There's probably about 10-15% of difference in capability between the MA and MP/MPP (and arguably it's in the MA's favour with regards video quality), yet the difference in talents of their respective owners can run into large multiplication factors.

MPP owners are kidding themselves if they think they are somehow more professional than MA owners when 90%+ of the result is down to talent and not the equipment. Heck, I'd pit a seasoned pro with a Spark against 90% of MP/MPP and MA owners when it comes to creating compelling video and stories.

And lets not forget that in the grand scheme of drones, the MP/MPP is virtually a toy. Honestly, it's like getting an BWM M3 and thinking you're the fastest thing on the road.... right up until you race a 911 Turbo, Vette, GTR or Superbike. If you own a £35k rig and fly for the BBC or National Geographic Channel then you might have sufficient cause to call the MA a "selfie-drone".

As I've said before, not enough info! Settle down and wait for the less biased and less rushed reviews to come in.

I will also add, though, that we do have enough info available now to be able to say that, come on, there's no way the Air deserves the scorn heaped upon it by some posters here. Video and photo and gimbal specs are overall at least slightly better than on the MP, it is definitely more portable and easier to use and harder to crash into obstacles, and it's cheaper. In the eyes of some these advantages of the Air might be outweighed by such MP advantages as occusync and telemetry on the controller and longer battery life, but sheesh, that doesn't make the Air a toy selfie drone, a Spark Pro.

The Air is much closer to being a Mavic Pro than a Spark, because unlike the Spark it did not make big sacrifices in gimbal and video quality in exchange for better ease of use and portability. I can see why those who value reliability and distance and flight times above all would choose the wonderful Mavic Pro, which I have, but I can see why there would be many who are not just casual users and who really value image quality would choose the Air, with portability and ease of use outweighing the MP pluses. I myself am a pro photogrspher and love my MP but if forced to choose now, would probably go for the Air.

But again, let's see. Maybe the improved WiFi makes lack of occusync not so important. Maybe even though the Air has 100 mbps instead of 60 the color rendition is worse than on the MP. Maybe the Air is only a little less stable in windy situations, or maybe a lot less. Maybe the APAS is not reliable enough. And above all, maybe we'll have an MP2 in a couple of months which will be substantially better than either of these.

If you have the MP now and are thinking of switching, just wait two months or so and then decide. If you have no drone now and can't wait, then go for the Air unless reliability and long distances and flight times outweigh all else for you. In that case get the MP.

What is the purpose of these types of condescending, petty and uninformed comments? They serve no purpose to the general forum members. I am a proud MP owner who has purchased the Air because it will allow me to fly more by being able to keep it in my briefcase, my camelback, my pocket, my kayak, etc, etc. . To do more of what I really enjoy. Presumably, what we all enjoy. You love your Mavic? Great! Don't want some of the benefits of the Air because the downsides are too critical to what brings you enjoyment? Great! I'm happy for you. Really. I admire people who are happy with what they have, rather than unhappy with what they don't have. But why can't these folks see everyone is in this for their own purpose and that this type of innovation serves our hobby well and perhaps the interests of the forum members.

I'm trying not to be personal, but for those who make these needless comments, get over yourselves.

I'm glad others thing the Air is too expensive. We almost have to get the FM package, putting the price at $1000. I have been on the Autel forum for the last month or so, watching close. You will see many posts where Autel has promised / announced products and they never materialized. Not my words, owners of Autel products. Sure, it happens, but now it's wait and see. I have heard a June time frame for production, but it's anyone's guess. These products, Air, MP, EVO, ... anything in the $1000 price range (and let's not assume the $800 price with one battery is practical) are not Hobby drones. These are serious Equipment offerings for those employed to shoot aerial video. As a Hobby product, there are SO MANY other things to spend $1000 on. I find it frustrating watching the upper-end products come out - ya, sure, we could all spend $4500 on a drone - but how crazy is that with all the limited flight space. This price point is for the upper 2% of the flyers. IMO the $1000 price point is for the upper 25% of the flyers. The rest buy used - a great idea as you can save a good 30% of the price - and look at all the drones for sale. There are ton's all over, lots of DJI products, some still in the box, unused - but these guys want to recoup most of their investment - I feel sorry for them.

The Pattern plane you see in my Avatar, $500, pre-covered, the motor, $50, the ESC $45, the servo's, $30 each x 4. Much more fun to fly, but of course, no camera, but really, for most of us, taking movies of remote areas gets boring quickly - one reason so many for sale.

For flight time, I am now looking for a MP used, for around $700 - something that is worth it to me for flight time and the controller. Just my opinion.
you can buy a new mavic pro on Amazon for 820 USD..

DJI Mavic Air VS Mavic Pro: Is the Pro Still Better? | MyFirstDrone

Sorry if this was posted before. It's easily the most thorough and balanced comparison of the Air and Pro that I've seen. Regarding occusync, he says the video lag wasn't that much more than the Pro and much better than the Spark. Lots of testing and samples and info that was new to me. For example, controlling with phone only was much better with the Air.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
And lets not forget that in the grand scheme of drones, the MP/MPP is virtually a toy. Honestly, it's like getting an BWM M3 and thinking you're the fastest thing on the road.... right up until you race a 911 Turbo, Vette, GTR or Superbike. If you own a £35k rig and fly for the BBC or National Geographic Channel then you might have sufficient cause to call the MA a "selfie-drone".

LMAO!!!! Great comparison! Well my 911 is a toy compared to the 911 Turbo. But I agree with you!

Reactions: Splats
Just another great review highlighting imaging quality between Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro. Doesn't look like this one has been mentioned in this thread yet.

DJI Mavic Air Camera side by side comparison

Lol so many people are TRYING to push this narrative, I find it hilarious. Mavic Air is a Mavic, it’s in the Mavic family, whether you think so or not. Any drone with a 4K camera that is better than the Mavic Pro’s camera, is more than a “glorified Spark” and “Great entry level selfie drone”, but keep telling yourself that.

Reactions: Splats

Cool comparison... he likes the Air, but I like my MP better. Despite the Air’s ease of use and new technology the MP feels more advanced in every way and may be that’s because I’m more comfortable with it. It flys like a big drone and feels much smoother while filming compared to the skittish flight characteristics of the Air. The Air is still an awesome addition to my tools, but I’ve got to get accustomed to it’s flight characteristics before I can master it’s abilities.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13