DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air yawing during flight

And after you get it working, it will be fine for a few weeks, then start acting up again. Maybe.
I had a p4p plus controller that was fine one day, picked it up to use it five days later, bingo, camera settings weren’t right. Nothing I could do would remedy the darn thing. Off to DJI it went. Luckily still in warranty.

At what point do I give up? How many controller calibrations before admitting defeat haha?

I usually do 3 and then look for another problem.

As @BD0G said, maybe try changing out the 2 right with the 2 left props and see if it still happens or yaws the opposite direction. If that fails, try 4 new props and see what happens.

One other problem could be a defective motor on right side thats not putting out enough RPM. The left front motor might be forcing it to yaw right. Or could be the ESC. Either of these would require a trip back to DJI.

Reactions: BD0G
I usually do 3 and then look for another problem.

As @BD0G said, maybe try changing out the 2 right with the 2 left props and see if it still happens or yaws the opposite direction. If that fails, try 4 new props and see what happens.

One other problem could be a defective motor on right side thats not putting out enough RPM. The left front motor might be forcing it to yaw right. Or could be the ESC. Either of these would require a trip back to DJI.
Detectable from txt log?

Hi all,
You may recognise the video posted in this thread as I have posted once before but it went a little off topic, and I am still seeking some more advice.
A few weeks ago I crashed my perfectly working drone and received a new one from DJI Care (DJI Refresh). On my first flight of this drone I noticed a problem. I sent the drone about 40 metres above my house (no wind) and just let it hover. Whilst it was hovering I noticed it was yawing (video below). It was doing this with no controller input from my whatsoever.
Since then I have had a few flights since with the problem persisting.
This evening I was having a small test flight in my garden. The drone took off and instantly yawed right and behaved erratically. I instantly brought it down and landed it, then retook off to see if it occurred again. It did. Not on the same scale but definitely was not behaving normally (this is the log I managed to extract and post).
Any suggestions on possible cause/action for me to take?
Thanks

Overview:
Issue 1

Aircraft yawing with no controller input and behaving irratically

Issue 1
Having trouble extracting .DAT log from mobile device. Found them in MCFLIGHTLOGS folder and then managed to get the log from todays test flight (extremely short) into DatCon to convert to .txt.
Cannot get any other files into the software. I have attached what I have but need advice on which logs I need and what to do with them. (saying the .txt files are empty and cannot upload them).

Any help at all greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jamie

That's not a DAT file from a flight, which is why you were having problems viewing it.

I have the same problem as you. The Mavic air without any command turned or moved to the left or to the right. I concluded that the problem is in the controller because it gives some parasitics signals (probably dirt) and once turned my head to the left when I gave it to him For every flight I squeeze all the controls on the controller and in the adjustments I have reduced the sensitivity to the controls so that if the spacecraft starts to turn it down, it does it slowly.

So guys I got the drone out this morning...
Before I left I calibrated the controller and the IMU.

First flight (Calibrated controller and IMU)
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
  • Drone took off and was steady at first, straight up with no yaw issues.

First flight continued...
  • The drone is steady until I yaw right, then it continues to yaw right very slowly.
  • No issues with yaw left command

Second flight (Props swapped sides)
  • Yaw left issue initially with no yaw right issue
  • Yaw right issue when flying in straight line

Third flight (New front right prop and rear left prop and controller calibration)
Before I left the house I grabbed a new 4 pack of props ready for this test, went to change them before this flight and realised a 4 pack contains the same 4 props rather than two with white lines and two without so I couldn't change them all.
  • On this flight the drone instantly yaws right on take off with no instruction to do so. It also did this a few days ago. Is this some kind of precision take off action or is it definitely not meant to happen?
  • Drone yaws left whilst climbing with no command to do so
  • Yaw right issue

Conclusion:
Disappointing results, no real clues as to what the issue could be. Sorry in advance if these are the incorrect logs (having trouble finding the correct ones (.dat and .txt)).
Any feedback/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Working on it haha! I've found the correct DAT, got it into DatCon and it's output an event log file and a config log file as well as a .csv. Anyideas what to do now? Upload as attachment or PhantomHelp?

I may of missed this in the comments above but I don't think I saw anyone mention to calibrate your compass, not just the remote and the IMU. I know when you first get your drone the manual says to only calibrate the compass when the app says but it can never hurt. I do it every time I fly somewhere different. For example: If I'm flying at my house or go a few mile down the road to the park, I might go ahead and calibrate just to be safe. I am very new though so perhaps that's overkill. It is very quick and easy to do though, so I just go ahead.

I may of missed this in the comments above but I don't think I saw anyone mention to calibrate your compass, not just the remote and the IMU. I know when you first get your drone the manual says to only calibrate the compass when the app says but it can never hurt. I do it every time I fly somewhere different. For example: If I'm flying at my house or go a few mile down the road to the park, I might go ahead and calibrate just to be safe. I am very new though so perhaps that's overkill. It is very quick and easy to do though, so I just go ahead.
It made me calibrate the compass on my very first flight, I also calibrated after this using DJI Assistant, no luck unfortunately...

Nothing I can do until I see a DAT file.
@sar104 still don't fully know what I am doing. Found the correct file from the CSV then used DatCon to get these files

Attachments

• 19-01-23-10-06-35_FLY032.log.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 19-01-23-10-06-35_FLY032.recDefs.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 19-01-23-10-06-35_FLY032.DAT
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Hi all,
You may recognise the video posted in this thread as I have posted once before but it went a little off topic, and I am still seeking some more advice.
A few weeks ago I crashed my perfectly working drone and received a new one from DJI Care (DJI Refresh). On my first flight of this drone I noticed a problem. I sent the drone about 40 metres above my house (no wind) and just let it hover. Whilst it was hovering I noticed it was yawing (video below). It was doing this with no controller input from my whatsoever.
Since then I have had a few flights since with the problem persisting.
This evening I was having a small test flight in my garden. The drone took off and instantly yawed right and behaved erratically. I instantly brought it down and landed it, then retook off to see if it occurred again. It did. Not on the same scale but definitely was not behaving normally (this is the log I managed to extract and post).
Any suggestions on possible cause/action for me to take?
Thanks

Overview:
Issue 1

Aircraft yawing with no controller input and behaving irratically

Issue 1
Having trouble extracting .DAT log from mobile device. Found them in MCFLIGHTLOGS folder and then managed to get the log from todays test flight (extremely short) into DatCon to convert to .txt.
Cannot get any other files into the software. I have attached what I have but need advice on which logs I need and what to do with them. (saying the .txt files are empty and cannot upload them).

Any help at all greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jamie

My mav air sometimes yaws 15 to 30 degrees right on take off, its quick and in the first 3 or 4 seconds. recalibration of compass, imu and still happens. I just write it off to interference. It hasnt gotten any worse in the 9 months I have owned it so I just always go straight up to 100 ft at least before I start flying around.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
My mav air sometimes yaws 15 to 30 degrees right on take off, its quick and in the first 3 or 4 seconds. recalibration of compass, imu and still happens. I just write it off to interference. It hasnt gotten any worse in the 9 months I have owned it so I just always go straight up to 100 ft at least before I start flying around.
Yeah mine occasionally does this which I can handle, my issue is the continuous yaw when I am up and flying.

Yeah mine occasionally does this which I can handle, my issue is the continuous yaw when I am up and flying.

could it be wifi interference? when I fly from my house in the city there is one direction I cant fly 1000 ft away before signal loss, any other direction I can fly 8000 ft

Compass re calibration again? It can't hurt to try. Maybe there is some confusion as to which way it's facing and that is causing the yaw ?

Just a thought, and will only take a couple of minutes

could it be wifi interference? when I fly from my house in the city there is one direction I cant fly 1000 ft away before signal loss, any other direction I can fly 8000 ft
Happens in multiple locations where interference shouldn't be an issue.

Unless anyone can find an issue in the DAT file the drone is in the box and being sent to DJI Europe tomorrow. After speaking to DJI live tech support this morning and showing them the videos, they have admitted that something is not right and it needs to go in for repair. Refurbished drone coming my way I guess!
Crossing my fingers and hoping @sar104 finds something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13