DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air yawing during flight

Jamielee96

Reactions
Hi all,
You may recognise the video posted in this thread as I have posted once before but it went a little off topic, and I am still seeking some more advice.
A few weeks ago I crashed my perfectly working drone and received a new one from DJI Care (DJI Refresh). On my first flight of this drone I noticed a problem. I sent the drone about 40 metres above my house (no wind) and just let it hover. Whilst it was hovering I noticed it was yawing (video below). It was doing this with no controller input from my whatsoever.
Since then I have had a few flights since with the problem persisting.
This evening I was having a small test flight in my garden. The drone took off and instantly yawed right and behaved erratically. I instantly brought it down and landed it, then retook off to see if it occurred again. It did. Not on the same scale but definitely was not behaving normally (this is the log I managed to extract and post).
Any suggestions on possible cause/action for me to take?
Thanks

Overview:
Issue 1

Aircraft yawing with no controller input and behaving irratically

Issue 1
Having trouble extracting .DAT log from mobile device. Found them in MCFLIGHTLOGS folder and then managed to get the log from todays test flight (extremely short) into DatCon to convert to .txt.
Cannot get any other files into the software. I have attached what I have but need advice on which logs I need and what to do with them. (saying the .txt files are empty and cannot upload them).

Any help at all greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jamie

Attachments

• 19-01-22-04-22-12_FLY029.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 7
Looks like its time for DJI to replace with one that does not Yaw without input. Time to open a ticket with thier support team.

What would be kind of interesting would be to swap the right props to the left and the left to the right and see if it yaws in the other direction.
Observing the proper orientation and markings when reinstalling.

Reactions: Former Member
I feel your pain. Perhaps you can send it to @Thunderdrones for repair. That is if you are in the Continental US.
I tagged his so he will be in contact.
UK. Although if he had any advice it would be appreciated. I've seen how good he is at what he does, if DJI don't offer anything and he has a potential fix I'd definitely consider shipping it over to him.

What would be kind of interesting would be to swap the right props to the left and the left to the right and see if it yaws in the other direction.
Observing the proper orientation and markings when reinstalling.
Yeah that is a good idea, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Then calibrate the IMU using this method. Dont expect it to resolve , but its a shot in the dark. Normally the IMU calibration can resolve shifting from side to side even if there is no wind , but not usually YAWing. I am interested to see what results you get.

Have you looked at what the sensor readings are at launch point?
And what was the reason for the first crash?

Have you looked at what the sensor readings are at launch point?
And what was the reason for the first crash?
Looking at sensor readings before launch point? Is this done by checking logs or an in app check?
As for the crash... that was pilot error on an old drone... nothing to do with this drone.

Launch point meaning where you fly from.
Reading numbers will vary. Green is good, yellow is fair, red is a problem.

Reactions: Jamielee96
99.5% sure its a controller calibration problem. You might try it again, and again until the problem is fixed.

On these drones, there is no yaw trim like older RC airplanes and helis had. Its all in the chip these days.

Reactions: Jamielee96
99.5% sure its a controller calibration problem. You might try it again, and again until the problem is fixed.

On these drones, there is no yaw trim like older RC airplanes and helis had. Its all in the chip these days.
At what point do I give up? How many controller calibrations before admitting defeat haha?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitkat