DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and p4

BIGSTALKS

Reactions
Just ordered my mavic and currently own a p4. Was it worth the purchase ? Need some advise as i still have time to cancel .

I don't own a phantom, so full disclosure there. But I have flown my friends phantoms (clearly I hang with a stupid lot) and I can say that while the mavic is more susceptible to winds than the Phantom, anyone who compares the two as equals doesn't own both of them. The phantom is demonstrably more stable in high winds. Period. I'm keener on that Mavic but I honestly couldn't tell you if that's because it's what I own or because it's what I prefer. What I can say is that I'm able to slip in and out of more places than my buddy with a P4 could ever imagine. Not suggesting anyone should go rouge and just fly all mercenary style, I'm just saying tha with the present idiotic regulations imposed by the FAA, the mavic offers a higher return on "suck it you idiots" value than the P4 to me personally.

Reactions: BIGSTALKS
I totally love the Mavic. I also bought a P4 and then when I saw the Mavic I knew I needed to get one. I had always been looking for an ultra-portable quadcopter that I could use for hiking so I could use it to scout terrain ahead. I have my bag setup so that I could move and not have to stop to deploy the mavic. I use my Samsung S5 instead of a tablet to keep with the portability of it.
I was originally going to just buy the Mavic with the controller and then buy more batteries later if I really liked it. I opted to by the Mavic Fly More combo and it was totally worth it. If you want to see the quality and portability of it check out my video:

Reactions: Anthonyk
I totally love the Mavic. I also bought a P4 and then when I saw the Mavic I knew I needed to get one. I had always been looking for an ultra-portable quadcopter that I could use for hiking so I could use it to scout terrain ahead. I have my bag setup so that I could move and not have to stop to deploy the mavic. I use my Samsung S5 instead of a tablet to keep with the portability of it.
I was originally going to just buy the Mavic with the controller and then buy more batteries later if I really liked it. I opted to by the Mavic Fly More combo and it was totally worth it. If you want to see the quality and portability of it check out my video:

Dude...you live in way way WAY too epic of a location to post videos with that kind of jerky camera movement. Holy schitznel, I'd kill to be able to fly where you are. Wow.

Thanks guys . After looking at your video my p4 blows the quality out of the water . Im nervous now .. i mean the portability might just do it for me but not too excited about the quality . Thanks for your reply man

Thanks guys . After looking at your video my p4 blows the quality out of the water . Im nervous now .. i mean the portability might just do it for me but not too excited about the quality . Thanks for your reply man

Would you mind elaborating a little on what you're using as benchmarks to determine that? Not contesting you, just curious.

Who did you buy it from? Return policy? If you are tentative about keeping it, cancel now if you cant return it after you have flown it.

If I were you I would cancel your order if its non refundable, and wait for Best Buy or maybe even Walmart (maybe later this year hehe) to get them in stock. Both of those companies offer good return policies if it does not live up to your expectations as long as you havent crashed it.

If you decide not to cancel your order, fly it and hate it, and you cant return it, you can still sell it for a very small loss since they are still in short supply. Multiple places online including MP selling used mavs for nearly new prices especially if its only been flown a few times.

My bet is that you will keep your Mav, and sell the P4 within a few flights.

Who did you buy it from? Return policy? If you are tentative about keeping it, cancel now if you cant return it after you have flown it.

If I were you I would cancel your order if its non refundable, and wait for Best Buy or maybe even Walmart (maybe later this year hehe) to get them in stock. Both of those companies offer good return policies if it does not live up to your expectations as long as you havent crashed it.

If you decide not to cancel your order, fly it and hate it, and you cant return it, you can still sell it for a very small loss since they are still in short supply. Multiple places online including MP selling used mavs for nearly new prices especially if its only been flown a few times.

My bet is that you will keep your Mav, and sell the P4 within a few flights.
Bought it from amazon. Ill give it a shot worse case ill just pay for shipping if i decide to send it back. Thanks.

Bought it from amazon. Ill give it a shot worse case ill just pay for shipping if i decide to send it back. Thanks.

Good move. I think you have at least 15 if not 30 days. Dont forget to get covered either by refresh or by a drone policy. If you crash it, that would make any return policy moot.

Dude...you live in way way WAY too epic of a location to post videos with that kind of jerky camera movement. Holy schitznel, I'd kill to be able to fly where you are. Wow.
What jerky camera movement are you talking about? The part that I fast forwarded? I know that part I wasn't happy about. I don't live there, I was there for a month for work. The scene with the rivers are is where they filmed Rohan from Lord of the Rings. You can see the hill where they had the castles built. I wanted to fly up to the top of it but I didn't want to disturb the people up there and I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to fly there.

What jerky camera movement are you talking about? The part that I fast forwarded? I know that part I wasn't happy about. I don't live there, I was there for a month for work. The scene with the rivers are is where they filmed Rohan from Lord of the Rings. You can see the hill where they had the castles built. I wanted to fly up to the top of it but I didn't want to disturb the people up there and I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to fly there.

I was talking about the first part. And I was only making the comment as a joke because holy cow what I would give to fly over those locations. Jealous.

Yeah it was so cool to fly at those places. It was super windy too at the place with all the big boulders. You wouldn't notice it from the footage but if you look at the trees. I was a bit nervous flying it there because of that. I also went down to Mcmurdo Station in Antarctica a few times but they would not let me fly it down there.

Reactions: boone
I've had a P3P for a couple of years now and initially resisted the idea of adding a Mavic to the family, but the biggest problem I have with the Phantom is that it's kind of a struggle to get it unpacked, sorted out, and ready to fly; with the MP I'm hoping to be able to take it more places and get flying faster. (Also, I really want to have them try to follow each other at some point.)

Reactions: boone
Yeah it was so cool to fly at those places. It was super windy too at the place with all the big boulders. You wouldn't notice it from the footage but if you look at the trees. I was a bit nervous flying it there because of that. I also went down to Mcmurdo Station in Antarctica a few times but they would not let me fly it down there.

And now you have me on google maps, and I’m even more jealous. Very cool.

It's such a hard question. It really depends on what you want to do and your flying style. I have the p4, an inspire and the mavic. I don't think I'll be personally flying the phantom again.

It's such a hard question. It really depends on what you want to do and your flying style. I have the p4, an inspire and the mavic. I don't think I'll be personally flying the phantom again.
I hear you , it doesnt hurt to have a back up drone . I might just love it and have my p4 as my back up . Thanks for all your feed bavk guys . Really helping me out

Just ordered my mavic and currently own a p4. Was it worth the purchase ? Need some advise as i still have time to cancel .

I have never owned the P4,....but I did own a P3S. I have now had my Mavic for over a month. If I was going to do this again,...I would purchase the P4P+. The Mavic is the clear winner if portability is your priority. But if stability in wind, or photography is your priority, then go with the P4P.
I do believe that the Mavic gives a little more in range,....but most of us out here use our drones for photography, (Not all, but most) and there is no one whom would state that the P4P is not the clear champ in that category. And the range advantage of the Mavic is not that significant over the P4P.
So what I am saying is, if I were you, I would cancel my order of the Mavic and either sell my P4 and buy a P4P or P4P+ or just buy a P4P or preferably a P4P+ outright.
Also thought I would put out there,.....does anyone want to evenly swap an uncrashed Mavic Fly More Kit for a uncrashed P4P kit? (At least 3 batteries.)

Reactions: BIGSTALKS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d