DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and Waypoint Flight Mode

From my experience its better to fly manually anyway. Not only is it easier for you to control where you want the camera to point and the speed and such, but you'll have better control if anything goes wrong. Of course many people have had great luck with it, but of the few times I've used it, I wanted to just switch into manual and fly it myself :D

Thanks so much for replying! That's good to know. I hope I really get the hang of controlling it. I'm trying to learn how to move the joystick a bit slower to give it a smoother ride in the air.
What's your preference on "eyeing" the Mavic itself? Are you constantly looking up and down on your phone to see where it's going? I'm having trouble remembering that if the Mavic is facing you, you move the joysticks the opposite directions. So I end up jerking the Mavic.

Thanks so much for replying! That's good to know. I hope I really get the hang of controlling it. I'm trying to learn how to move the joystick a bit slower to give it a smoother ride in the air.
What's your preference on "eyeing" the Mavic itself? Are you constantly looking up and down on your phone to see where it's going? I'm having trouble remembering that if the Mavic is facing you, you move the joysticks the opposite directions. So I end up jerking the Mavic.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly! As for eyeing, I'm used to switching back and forth between the Mavic and my phone. You can use the little map at the bottom left to see which way the Mavic is pointing in respect to the home position in case you lose orientation. Usually when I'm looking at my phone it's not to see where I'm going, it's more so to see the footage I'm getting and to make sure it's smooth without any harsh or sudden turns lol. This will all come natural to you the more frequently you fly though:) Post a video of your trip!

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly! As for eyeing, I'm used to switching back and forth between the Mavic and my phone. You can use the little map at the bottom left to see which way the Mavic is pointing in respect to the home position in case you lose orientation. Usually when I'm looking at my phone it's not to see where I'm going, it's more so to see the footage I'm getting and to make sure it's smooth without any harsh or sudden turns lol. This will all come natural to you the more frequently you fly though:) Post a video of your trip!
From my experience its better to fly manually anyway. Not only is it easier for you to control where you want the camera to point and the speed and such, but you'll have better control if anything goes wrong. Of course many people have had great luck with it, but of the few times I've used it, I wanted to just switch into manual and fly it myself :D

If you are after butter smooth video "manual flying" is not the way to do it. Unless one is a complete expert, it is very difficult to fly, control the speed, height and worry about the gimbal pitch or angle to get that perfect shot, not too mention keeping your drone within line of sight and any obstacles. You are doing way too much and you will see it in your video quality. (that is my experience) It took me a while to realize that, as I wanted to do everything myself, but after purchasing Litchi, learning the features and practicing in a field, Litchi is best thing since sliced bread.

Planning missions before hand can save you a lot of time setting your way-points around one or many POIs, camera angle, entry points, gimbal control, speed etc. Litchi gives you the control where needed. In the field when the mission has started if something is not right or one is not happy, it is easy to get out of a mission (simply change to Sport mode) and your mission is aborted.

Missions can be easily edited, saved or deleted via the app or back at home on a PC, and Litchi is a true time saver. Switching between map and camera view is easy, as one of the C1 or C2 buttons can be programmed. In fact there are loads of features in the setting. When you have only limited time with one battery or two, the last thing you want to be doing is wasting time trying to do everything yourself. Just for the record, I have had Litchi for just over 2 months, and never had a failure, it works perfectly every time, is well supported, has a great community, and a wonderful school to learn all the features. I even got it working on my Surface Pro 4 running Android via DuOS. Hooked up via the USB port at the bottom of the controller.

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
I have been experimenting with waypoints, but have also found it to be lacking a lot of features. I also can't figure out how to name the waypoint missions and haven't really figured out what saving them to favorites actually accomplishes. It is also difficult to tell if you are actually selecting a particular saved mission in the menu. Overall it is pretty basic and feels a bit unfinished.

I have Litchi and Auto Pilot so I might need to try those out with the Mavic. I don't have reliable data in mot places I fly and all the 3rd party apps seem to use maps to perform waypoint mission instead of the pre flying method in the Go app.

Here are some mtb shots using waypoints I took of myself last week. I think there are lot of possibilities using waypoints, but really want to see them polish up this function in the app so to you can more reliable plan out shoots like you're describing.

What is your settings (sharpness, mode, color..) for your video ? improve with imovie ou after effect ?
thanks !

Hello and thanks for all the information you are sharing.
I´m pretty new to this world of drones...
I would like to ask...all these positive things you are saying about the capabilities, accuracy, and stability with Litchi...is...totally different to what other people here and many other forums are saying about the same application! Crashes, flyaways, and many more complications...

My questions are:
1.-Nobody here has experienced nothing like that?

I´m really really interested in that app, but I was scared of using it as I read all those comments...

Now I´m reading yours and...I don´t know what to do?

2.-Could you give more details? Kind of missions... the number of points...total distance...iOS or Android versions, etc?...it would be very helpful...

Thanks!

P.S.: the other testimonies are...terrible! and have evidence! WARNING! - Mavic Pro with Litchi
I've been using Litchi for a couple of months on a Samsung Note 4 that I connect to my Mavic flight controller. I plan most of my way point missions on my PC and they are then synced with my Note. I've never had a single problem with any mission. Litchi crashed once on one mission, Mavic continued to fly the mission and returned home whilst I was rebooting my phone and the Litchi app. Bottom line - I love the app and use it in preference to Go4.
That is great footage and some amazing scenery!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just plan it out and set a speed you can maintain. In a few shots I was on the brakes because I set the speed too low and didn't want to ride out of the frame. Definitely had a few shots that did't work out at all.

I have been flying with Litchi Android app quite a lot. Just landed back from a 3 km route I run daily and the wind was gusting to 14.4m/s or 52kph. Did it without a hitch.

Initially I had some issues with the early Android Betas. It was a most educational experience for me. However in past few weeks the Android Litchi app has become stable as far as I can see.

You should read the Litchi manual and fly initial missions up close so you can see LOS how Litchi works.
Then if you intend to do WPT missions further afield, you want to consider how you might handle contingencies like if the application crashed and did not restart. A WPT mission further afield will take you beyond Line of Sight and eventually beyond Signal range. This can be disconcerting and you need to plan it carefully to mitigate risks.
Posted a mini mission guide in another thread. Take a look if you want to see a very brief overview of what works for me at

Oh! Yes, of course! I do totally agree with you....that´s how life, and even more "internet life", works!

But, you know...I have my drone brand new, I REALLY WANT TO TRY a good waypoint software (DJI is not good enough) and...when I read all those disasters...I´m terrified of losing my bird!

So, I was just wondering if you all, could provide some information about how are you doing...to help people like me.
That means...Android or iOS, Versions of the different app, kind and length (time and distance) of your missions, some videos...useful things like that!

This is just in order to make me feel more confident and take the next step! Hahaha...I need support...have no friend or known people with these devices...

Thank you all!
My longest Litchi waypoint mission was 19 waypoints, 3 POIs and 9km round-trip flight distance.

I've just spent two weeks in Botswana in the middle of the desert. I had no phone or WiFi signal at all, but had downloaded the Google maps for each area I was visiting before I left for Botswana. That way I had the maps on my phone and tablet and was able to create my missions and then fly them.

In your opinion and experience, is it OK to purposefully program a Litchi mission that goes beyond the Remote Controller range? It this reliable? I have done this but I always hold my breath until it comes back in range. (Forgetting about VLOS for a moment)

I've never done it deliberately, but I have lost connection on a number of my missions. The drone continues the mission and reconnects when back in range. I trust the technology - it's an amazing piece of gear...

Reactions: MrsTreat
I've never done it deliberately, but I have lost connection on a number of my missions. The drone continues the mission and reconnects when back in range. I trust the technology - it's an amazing piece of gear...

I have had it return successfully enough that I am wondering if I can "rely" on that when planning missions.

I honestly think you can, though you'll need to make sure that you comply with local laws (VLS if appropriate). As I mentioned - the technology is incredible and reliable in my experience. Litchi too - I far prefer it to Go4.

I have had it return successfully enough that I am wondering if I can "rely" on that when planning missions.

I have flown well over one hundred litchi missions without issue. The mission parameters for each mission are uploaded and stored in the mavic. Once the mission has started, you could toss the controller and your tablet in the lake. They are not needed to complete the mission. It took me a while to gain confidence but I can grab a coffee while my bird finished a mission and I now have very high confidence when my bird goes "dark" when on a mission.

I have flown well over one hundred litchi missions without issue. The mission parameters for each mission are uploaded and stored in the mavic. Once the mission has started, you could toss the controller and your tablet in the lake. They are not needed to complete the mission. It took me a while to gain confidence but I can grab a coffee while my bird finished a mission and I now have very high confidence when my bird goes "dark" when on a mission.

That's what I was wondering, how to accomplish riding or action shots like that while having the controller or tablet out with the app open. So it sounds like you only need that to get the Mavic started up and once it's is up and away, you can pack those items back in and start your adventure? I originally was thinking of getting Litchi from the start after hearing about the Go4 issues, but I haven't had any as of date... using iOS tablet as of now... Litchi still sounds like a worthy investment (cheap as is for what you get!)

So it sounds like you only need that to get the Mavic started up and once it's is up and away, you can pack those items back in and start your adventure?
Well this is true for waypoint missions provided you have made plans for the landing. On some of the other mission types (follow, orbit, focus) you will need the controller.

Really great post, thanks

With Litchi most definitely Yes.

At the moment I have a need to photograph a nearby location at the same time each day for a survey. It is a a short 3km route that takes 5 minutes. All I have to do is open Litchi, select the route from my library, Hit play. Then sit back and watch totally hands off. Mavic takes off, flies and films entire route capturing footage of my POIs and comes home and lands. Turn everything off. That's it. Later in the day I pull the SD card and grab the images I need. Couldn't be simpler.

Does it really take off and land autonomously?
I am just asking as I am desperately searching for an app where I can initiate all that by the press of a single button.
We are operating a "gallery" where we present the latest technology to our guests and I want the tourguides to be able to show them an autonomous drone flight.
The drone will be placed on a dronepad (similar to helilpad) and by pushing one single button it should take off, perform a flight (shooting a video or photo), return and land. Everything without requiring the tourguide to do anything.

Will this work with Litchi?

Does it really take off and land autonomously?
I am just asking as I am desperately searching for an app where I can initiate all that by the press of a single button.
We are operating a "gallery" where we present the latest technology to our guests and I want the tourguides to be able to show them an autonomous drone flight.
The drone will be placed on a dronepad (similar to helilpad) and by pushing one single button it should take off, perform a flight (shooting a video or photo), return and land. Everything without requiring the tourguide to do anything.

Will this work with Litchi?
If your "gallery" is out doors, so as the drone can achieve a GPS fix to follow a predetermined path, it will technically work. However it would not be a safe situation to have the tourguide knowing no more than how to press the play button. They would have to know how to take over and operate the drone if and when required.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty