DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic bird strike (?) loss of control & crashed

Pegasus1

Reactions
Well, it finally happened. I've owned my MP for about roughly 2 yrs, and had mostly problem-free flights. Yesterday I crashed, and suspicious this may have been a bird strike. Really bizarre, because I didn't have video recording during the flight to see what happened. I was just flying around using Litchi, not doing any waypoints. Took off normally, all sensors and area clear, good GPS and signal. Lifted up to 200 ft or so and cruised around with no problems. The range was fairly close, probably 1000 ft away or so.

After flying normally for several minutes, suddenly my phone display is showing the drone spinning and tumbling wildly. Not sure if I just had a bird strike. I was unable to regain control. This continued for about 30-40 seconds, until the drone finally struck the ground. Fortunately it missed some nearby trees and I was able to locate and recover it. Both front antenna legs were broken, one of the rear motor lower covers was missing, all 4 props broken with several of the hub hinges split, most likely on ground impact. The ND filter on the ginbal was broken out leaving the ring on the camera, so it probably hit face first at fairly high speed.

I was able to get the flight log from my phone, and had a look at it in Airdata. Since I didn't have video recording switched on, this was my first look at any flight data. There is a swirling path, momentary recovery, then control loss and spinning until crashing. I have attached the file, if anyone wants to look at it and see what you think.

I'm expecting this was one of 2 possible scenarios. Either I was hit by a bird, or a prop came apart, maybe as a result of being hit. I've been using 1 set of low-noise props for quite a while without problems.

I'm sending it off to DroneFly.com for repairs. I expect it will need a camera/gimbal ***'y, both from arms, and possibly one of the rear arms. The heatsink bottom plate got scratches, but that's just cosmetic. All 4 motors are free and start up and turn smoothly, so hopefully the electronics are in good shape. However the gimbal I think is messed up. It responds to tilt commands and moves, but buzzes once it has started up. I'll know once they receive it and check it over. $149 labor + parts.

Attachments

• FlightRecord 2018-12-22_14-58-24_v2.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
Well, it finally happened. I've owned my MP for about roughly 2 yrs, and had mostly problem-free flights. Yesterday I crashed, and suspicious this may have been a bird strike. Really bizarre, because I didn't have video recording during the flight to see what happened. I was just flying around using Litchi, not doing any waypoints. Took off normally, all sensors and area clear, good GPS and signal. Lifted up to 200 ft or so and cruised around with no problems. The range was fairly close, probably 1000 ft away or so.

After flying normally for several minutes, suddenly my phone display is showing the drone spinning and tumbling wildly. Not sure if I just had a bird strike. I was unable to regain control. This continued for about 30-40 seconds, until the drone finally struck the ground. Fortunately it missed some nearby trees and I was able to locate and recover it. Both front antenna legs were broken, one of the rear motor lower covers was missing, all 4 props broken with several of the hub hinges split, most likely on ground impact. The ND filter on the ginbal was broken out leaving the ring on the camera, so it probably hit face first at fairly high speed.

I was able to get the flight log from my phone, and had a look at it in Airdata. Since I didn't have video recording switched on, this was my first look at any flight data. There is a swirling path, momentary recovery, then control loss and spinning until crashing. I have attached the file, if anyone wants to look at it and see what you think.

I'm expecting this was one of 2 possible scenarios. Either I was hit by a bird, or a prop came apart, maybe as a result of being hit. I've been using 1 set of low-noise props for quite a while without problems.

I'm sending it off to DroneFly.com for repairs. I expect it will need a camera/gimbal ***'y, both from arms, and possibly one of the rear arms. The heatsink bottom plate got scratches, but that's just cosmetic. All 4 motors are free and start up and turn smoothly, so hopefully the electronics are in good shape. However the gimbal I think is messed up. It responds to tilt commands and moves, but buzzes once it has started up. I'll know once they receive it and check it over. $149 labor + parts.
You didn't happen to be in the area of Gatwick Airport, were you? :)

My neighbor recently had a prop just break apart. He doesn't fly DJI and probably doesn't inspect his stuff much. I replaced a prop on mine that had a crack you could only see while twisting it in your hand. Maybe that's what happened.

Could be, though difficult to know as they were broken upon crash impact. But it sure did act just like loss of 1 prop, spinning out of control

[QUOTE="Pegasus1, post: 621823, member: 13571. Fortunately it missed some nearby trees and I was able to locate and recover it.
[/QUOTE]
looks like it tumbled down off of the trees
ouch.jpg
Is anyone good with a slingshot over there...seems you may have gotten a bit too low to those in da 'hood!!
So it happened after you just took that last left turn? (to face in the Home direction)
Just what I was about to say (see next reply. sar with the digital brains) it was going squirrelly as it climbed and again on the way down

Last edited:
That's a very unusual set of telemetry, but it shows the flight behavior that you described. I've not seen anything like that before. The aircraft was spinning CW but still able to climb, at least to begin with. Then it stabilized somewhat for 30 s or so before spinning again and suffering larger pitch and roll excursions. It might have been caused by a damaged prop or motor, but I'd need to see the aircraft DAT file, if you can get it, to figure that out.

attitude.png

Is the DAT file on the aircraft, or would it be on my phone (Android)? I was flying with Litchi, not DJI Go. I've already mailed it out going to Dronefly for repairs

Is the DAT file on the aircraft, or would it be on my phone (Android)? I was flying with Litchi, not DJI Go. I've already mailed it out going to Dronefly for repairs

Unfortunately Litchi doesn't create a DAT file on the mobile device, which means that the only detailed data are on the aircraft. The Mavic Pro DAT files are mostly accessible, although sometimes they seem to be stored in an inaccessible location. It's worth a look though.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Unfortunately Litchi doesn't create a DAT file on the mobile device, which means that the only detailed data are on the aircraft. The Mavic Pro DAT files are mostly accessible, although sometimes they seem to be stored in an inaccessible location. It's worth a look though.

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Too bad. I like Litchi a lot more than the DJI Go app, never a problem. It's already been sent off to be repaired. Didn't think much about it before packing it up. I was pretty pissed already by what had just happened. Lucky it didn't land in the river or a tree. My Refresh subscription was already used/expired, last service I had done by DJI was not a great experience, so I decided to go with DroneFly.com. They are a licensed DJI service center. Depending on what's done during repairs, any files may get wiped (?). Just be happy to have it back working again. Hope the parts bill isn't too steep.

I’d like to know the final cost when you get it. Crashed mine this evening. Gimbal is scuffed and won’t calibrate and nose housing out of place. Lost a prop as I was approaching a house and climbing. Hit the roof and fell about 30 feet onto a driveway.

I’d like to know the final cost when you get it. Crashed mine this evening. Gimbal is scuffed and won’t calibrate and nose housing out of place. Lost a prop as I was approaching a house and climbing. Hit the roof and fell about 30 feet onto a driveway.
Rob @Thunderdrones is your man.

I'll let you know soon, DroneFly should be receiving it tomorrow and once they get a chance to assess what's needed to repair it.

New Mavic 2 owner here. I bought the DJI Care Refresh along with it. Can I assume it would cover incidents such as these?

Probably, they usually require you to return the dunked/crashed drone for any help

Interesting. So, if you lose the drone over water and it sinks, you're screwed? :(

Pretty much! On the other hand you can hardly blame them as not everyone is as honest as you and I and someone would probably turn in their "missing" drone and get a new one just to have a spare. Hmmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98