DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Combo stolen in Michigan

StevenR296

Reactions
I'm just wanting to vent a bit so I'll post this here. I went skiing yesterday at Bittersweet in Otsego, Michigan. Afterward, I took some shots of the hill and got a little bit of footage. When it was time to leave, I was tired and set the Mavic bag on my car, took off my gear, threw it all in the trunk, got in the car, and drove off. I got to Kalamazoo for food and realized my stupid mistake. I called Bittersweet and asked if anyone returned a camera bag, but they said no and sent out security to look outside where I was parked and check up and down the street of the ski area for a camera bag. I drove back as well and did my own search along the few streets leading up to the resort and at the resort itself and had no luck.

I'm so frustrated with myself and am beyond upset. I put all of my money toward the Mavic Combo and Care Refresh and it's all gone within two weeks. It's my fault for leaving it on the car but seriously, that bag is extremely small even with 2 extra batteries and extra propellers. I was tired but I definitely should've paid more attention. Please look out for deals in the Kalamazoo area. It's close to Otsego where Bittersweet is.

P.S.
PUT A TRACKER ON YOUR DRONE! Whether you have Care Refresh or not, you can't trust anybody. Another friend of mine had a drone stolen from INSIDE his car when he was at work. I'm just going to sit in a corner and cry now. No 20 year old idiot like me should have to go through this.

A good rule is to never put anything on top of your car. Sorry you had to learn that the hard way. It may not have been stolen, though. There's no way of knowing when or where the bag fell. Unless you had return info somewhere in the bag a person finding it wouldn't know how to return it to you. Anyway, it's all very unfortunate and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sounds like the only person you couldn't trust in this case was yourself. Not fair to say it was stolen. A lot of us have done this kind of thing, leaving something on thre top of the car and driving off. Especially painful when it's an expensive item like the Mavic. But a far cry from being stolen. You have learned a very painful lesson. Sorry it wasn't just a glove or something more easily replaceable.

Reactions: m0j0 and jimp
At least you have owned up to the mistake and taken responsibility. Thats a hard thing to swallow. Thats why I immediately insure my drones with StateFarm. 60 a month and covers anything and everything. Theft, Fire, Water, Fly Away, Vandalism, you name it and its covered.

One does not have to have existing coverage with them either to take out a personal articles policy.

Not trying to rub salt in the wound.

One thing you might do is contact DJI with your serial number so that if the Mavic Pro is flown then it will be noted by DJI and perhaps they can contact you. You had to register the drone with DJI before being allowed to fly so that part is done.

It was actually stolen. By the wind!

I like to pop the lid of my coffee and put it on my tailgate. Then see how long I can balance it there while driving down the street. :)

I would file a police report. There are still good people out there that might return your lost bag.

In Dec, I left my backpack in a Hong Kong taxi cab right before my trip back to the US. I had my Passport, Razer Laptop, Bose Headphones, and IPAD in there. Though I was worried about the loss of 4k of tech gear, I really wanted my passport back. I waited outside hoping the cab would return my stuff for an hour, but that didn't happen. I missed my flight and felt I would be stuck in Hong Kong for 2-10 days trying to get a reissued passport.

On the way home another cab driver told me to file a police report. So while filing a police report my phone rings and another police station said the driver returned my stuff. I immediately cab'd it the other police station and saw the taxi cab driver with all my stuff on the table. Tipped him 1000 HKD (120ish US Dollars), and he took me home for free :). I did have to stay in Hong Kong for 2 extra days because they didn't have a flight the next day, but really didn't mind extending my vacation.

Another example, my Mavic was delivered to the wrong address that UPS was clueless about. ( they only knew which skyrise it was delivered to). The next day a teen knocked on my door and delivered my package.

I would move to mexico, a place where people return stolen things... i am very sorry. Remember after all, all this is material and you are ok.

Colibrí Fly Safe

So with this thing having gps and serial numbers, are we saying there is no way that dji can tell when the next time this thing gets activated and starts flying?? If apple can "find my phone" I dont see why dji can't "find my mavic".

Wow that would make me sick to my gut. Sorry for your loss, the best thing to do is go back to the location and put up a few signs offering a reward. Also mention that it is FAA registered in your name. That might motivate someone to return it.

Reactions: eroomomni
At least you have owned up to the mistake and taken responsibility. Thats a hard thing to swallow. Thats why I immediately insure my drones with StateFarm. 60 a month and covers anything and everything. Theft, Fire, Water, Fly Away, Vandalism, you name it and its covered.

One does not have to have existing coverage with them either to take out a personal articles policy.

One thing you might do is contact DJI with your serial number so that if the Mavic Pro is flown then it will be noted by DJI and perhaps they can contact you. You had to register the drone with DJI before being allowed to fly so that part is done.

I like to pop the lid of my coffee and put it on my tailgate. Then see how long I can balance it there while driving down the street. :)
$60 a month?!!!! most of us with State Farm pay around that same amount but that is for the WHOLE YEAR.

Off topic but in sympathy.
A friend of mine at my old airport just completed an airplane purchase transaction. He was leaving a Manhattan taxicab to go to the Long Island Railroad. I don't remember at what point it struck him he left the airplane documentation in the car... logs, manuals, Bill of Sale, other documents etc. He called every cab company he could think of. This was in the 1980s-90s I forget, it's been a while. Totally irreplacable docs, priceless only to him, no real value. What's the cabbie gonna do with it?

Oh yeah, the airplane?
1943 Beech Staggerwing.

vsk

I'm so frustrated with myself and am beyond upset. I put all of my money toward the Mavic Combo and Care Refresh and it's all gone within two weeks. It's my fault for leaving it on the car but seriously, that bag is extremely small even with 2 extra batteries and extra propellers. I was tired but I definitely should've paid more attention. Please look out for deals in the Kalamazoo area. It's close to Otsego where Bittersweet is.

P.S.
PUT A TRACKER ON YOUR DRONE! Whether you have Care Refresh or not, you can't trust anybody. Another friend of mine had a drone stolen from INSIDE his car when he was at work. I'm just going to sit in a corner and cry now. No 20 year old idiot like me should have to go through this.

Without your contact information in the bag or in one of the Mavic's legs the person who finds it does not know where to return it.

Did you by any chance have your contact information on the Mavic itself?. That way if you have a flyaway and somebody finds the drone they know where to return it.

I have one label on one of the Mavic's leg which literally reads " I'm Lost, Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx". On the other leg of the Mavic I attached a label with my email address and on the third leg I have the FAA reg.

I was thinking that this is also where an AMA membership would help but I think their cover theft, a police report needs to be produced.

Last summer on my way to work I saw a Phantom in the middle of the street, it had just landed, lights were still flashing. So I got out of my car picked up the drone and drove to the office, I was running a few minutes late to a meeting and I had to be at that meeting. When the meeting was over I drove to the local police station and took the drone with me inside station. When I walked in there was a guy filing a police report for a lost drone. He had serial number written in a piece of paper and that matched the one on the Phantom. I made a new friend on that day, he wanted to tip me for returning / doing the right thing but I declined, now and then we meet up to fly our drones.

I am sorry about your loss but you are owning up to your own mistake which is very hard to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: sixthhour

60 a month????

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+