DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash - Battery issues, refuses to land.

Reactions: DroneForceOne
Quick question.... Don't ever store your batteries fully charged ?
with any lipo battery there is an 80/20 rule... don't charge it more than 80% (or close) and don't discharge is below 20% (or close) to ensure full health of the battery.

VPS = the downwards looking caneras and ultrasonic sensors that sense height above ground and horizontal movement at low altitudes. They were visibly disturbed and always thinking you were already on the ground preventing futher descent becaue you likely had the "landing protection" setting on. Most likely due to that landing gear that several have previously warned not to use, if you put one (unnecesary in most cases) you want one that extends out the back and leaves all the sensors perfectly clear.

The swollen battery is due to the severe overdistcharge that resulted from the aircraft waiting for an opportunity to land that never came, and is now good for the trash.

People really use too many poorly designed acessories on this poor Mavic.

I have been seriously thinking about disabling the "Landing protection." I honestly don't see any point of it. I have the landing extenders, which have worked well so far. I just don't like the idea that the props are a mere 1/2" off the ground, and that landing anywhere than a perfectly flat, level surface is a deal breaker. With the extenders, I'm given some latitude regarding landing surface. The Landing Protection hasn't screwed me yet, but with this new information, I just may turn that thing off. Unless I'm flying indoors, I may turn off VPS altogether.

I have been seriously thinking about disabling the "Landing protection." I honestly don't see any point of it. I have the landing extenders, which have worked well so far. I just don't like the idea that the props are a mere 1/2" off the ground, and that landing anywhere than a perfectly flat, level surface is a deal breaker. With the extenders, I'm given some latitude regarding landing surface. The Landing Protection hasn't screwed me yet, but with this new information, I just may turn that thing off. Unless I'm flying indoors, I may turn off VPS altogether.

One alternative, with other advantages and disadvantages, is a takeoff/landing pad.

A swollen battery is an indication that it is coming to the end of its life. But the life of your battery seems a bit short, as was the life of my Dell XPS 13 battery which swelled up so much it lifted the touch pad, keyboard and space bar after just 14 months of use. I would query it under warranty, but if DJI are like Dell they will say that batteries are consumable items.

I too bought a landing gear extension just like yours. Today in fact. Several test flights, albeit indoors, did not throw up and landing problems at all. It landed perfectly normally.

Reactions: jjww
Guys, just an update!

Bought the gimbal lock at AliExpress.com, 4 months to arrive, installed it, had an issue with thr compass (forgot to plug in the connection located on the rrar end of the Mavic)

But just tested it on ground with engines on, works perfectly.

The gimbal lock replacement is very straight forward, nothing very difficult for a person with DIY electronics xp.

Just used a YouTube video as reference, and everything is ok!

Drone Force One is operational again!

Thanks to those in this thread that helped me with great information!

@Shedi, i used a thermal blower to heat the leg and put it back in position, a bit tricky, and you may not get a 100% result, but it saved me a few dollars with new parts!

Reactions: Callum
my guess for not responding to landing command: rear extender put wrong blocking the sonar.
i think that would cause it to rapidly raise in altitude

VPS = the downwards looking caneras and ultrasonic sensors that sense height above ground and horizontal movement at low altitudes. They were visibly disturbed and always thinking you were already on the ground preventing futher descent becaue you likely had the "landing protection" setting on. Most likely due to that landing gear that several have previously warned not to use, if you put one (unnecesary in most cases) you want one that extends out the back and leaves all the sensors perfectly clear.

The swollen battery is due to the severe overdistcharge that resulted from the aircraft waiting for an opportunity to land that never came, and is now good for the trash.

People really use too many poorly designed acessories on this poor Mavic.
I have the same "landing gear" and have never had an issue with the sensors. The U-shape wraps around the back of the MP not under it.

[
If you ever see that happening mid-flight in the future, you should disable the Landing Protection setting. That will prevent the auto ascent/descent when the downward sensors incorrectly detect the ground is near. You'll find that setting in the following section of DJI GO:

View attachment 22134

Would putting it into Sport Mode produce the same result? I read all this stuff so I'm prepared.

Would putting it into Sport Mode produce the same result? I read all this stuff so I'm prepared.
Yes I can confirm that as I did a manual vertical descent in sport mode at 10m/s and thought the auto landing sensors would kick in but they don't! Rather a hard landing and broke the camera ribbon in the process. So to quickly disable the auto sensors just switch to sport mode using the side switch.

Yes I can confirm that as I did a manual vertical descent in sport mode at 10m/s and thought the auto landing sensors would kick in but they don't! Rather a hard landing and broke the camera ribbon in the process. So to quickly disable the auto sensors just switch to sport mode using the side switch.
Yes, but remember that sport mode must be activated on the menu, by default it is disabled.

Reactions: angusc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll