DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic crash into trees

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions

I thought u guys might get a laugh outta my stupidity.
I was filming my son on a pit bike and let myself fly sideways
Into a tree..
The Mavic only had a small chip in a prop..
Later I’ll try and add the data so one of our
Data gurus might tell me what I was doing on
The controls at the time of crash....

Enjoy....
Lol

Into a tree..

Enjoy....
Lol
What? No crash helmet?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
SpaceAlien that was my first thought too lol.
Johnny it looks like you descended as well as flew sideways, if correct would you have cleared the trees at max height?
Just as a matter of interest is this a Mavic with a rotatable camera? If so it would have been a fiddle controlling the camera and the drone so maybe impractical but it might have allowed any obstacle avoidance to prevent the treeing.

IKR...
It was up maybe 20 feet or so...
My son and I shook branches and it
Dislodged twice, once into more limbs
Then finally I caught it...
Which is truly remarkable that the ribbon
Cable held up!
I've flown a lot of drones (and crashed them!) in my time. I never managed to get one of them out of a tree without a ladder or long stick ?

SpaceAlien that was my first thought too lol.
Johnny it looks like you descended as well as flew sideways, if correct would you have cleared the trees at max height?
Yes they were only 30 feet high..
Idk why I would decend but that’s what
I see as well...
I can’t recall my exact thoughts at the time but
I remember trying to ascend or so I thought..
Maybe I was confused...
Idk

You can probably replay the flight on the phone and show the stick commands too, I think it's one of the icon on the RHS of the replay screen.

Into a tree..

Enjoy....
Lol
Its all part of having a drone. Just try be aware off your surroundings next time. No biggy I am happy that everything worked out for you.

Thanks for sharing the results of being distracted. ?

If you were watching the drone instead of the phone that wouldn't havew happened or had a spotter
Watching the drone is a good idea, but kind of a problem when you're trying to frame a video, particularly on a moving subject. Can't do both. (At least I can't)

A spotter would be good, but in this instance , it all went down so fast, I doubt it would have saved the day. Also, the OP believed they were inputting an "UP" stick, when they were in fact doing the opposite. Only cure to that is practice, practice, practice, till you get the muscle memory correct. This is an issue I sometimes have as a long time gamer used to the standard joystick configuration most games use.

Watching the drone is a good idea, but kind of a problem when you're trying to frame a video, particularly on a moving subject. Can't do both. (At least I can't)

A spotter would be good, but in this instance , it all went down so fast, I doubt it would have saved the day. Also, the OP believed they were inputting an "UP" stick, when they were in fact doing the opposite. Only cure to that is practice, practice, practice, till you get the muscle memory correct. This is an issue I sometimes have as a long time gamer used to the standard joystick configuration most games use.
Barbara,
Your absolutely right about doing opposite with sticks..
My brain was telling me to climb and in fact i
Actually was doing opposite..
Practice, practice, practice is so important.
I’ve spent a great deal of time practicing controls when drone is facing me..
That makes things tricky...
I guess I was turning to try and focus on subject then outta the blue....WHAM...

Reactions: Barbara
Thanks for sharing this. Glad you were able to shake it loss. On one of my first flights I managed to lodge my MA2 about 50 feet up in an oak tree. After some unsuccessful attempts to reach the branch it was on with a not-long-enough stick I made a call to a guy who had done some tree felling for me. Fortunately, he was available, so for a fee comparable to the DJI insurance co-pay, he was able to scale the tree and shake into the open arms of my grandson (spotter?)

I have a question, though. How do you get sound on your video? I assume the mic must not be on the drone, or there would have been prop noise.

Thanks for sharing this. Glad you were able to shake it loss. On one of my first flights I managed to lodge my MA2 about 50 feet up in an oak tree. After some unsuccessful attempts to reach the branch it was on with a not-long-enough stick I made a call to a guy who had done some tree felling for me. Fortunately, he was available, so for a fee comparable to the DJI insurance co-pay, he was able to scale the tree and shake into the open arms of my grandson (spotter?)

I have a question, though. How do you get sound on your video? I assume the mic must not be on the drone, or there would have been prop noise.
Kayo43,
Yes I was Blessed that day..
The mic is in the remote, as for where to locate the on off switch on yours I’m not
Sure..
I BELIEVE the switch is in the camera/ video
Setting menu..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin