DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic drifting, then system errors, drifted away and luckily recovered

StinkiePants

Reactions
DJI recently (1 or 2 weeks ago) replaced my Mavic Pro, but new one has not floated perfectly like prior(s). It has also been taking an unusually long time to get into GPS mode. I launched from my wooden deck, as I usually do. I don't know if I am uploading correct files, or if they are complete.

Problem? I launched and went up to around 350'. It kept turning/drifting, so I tried turning it left and right. I was taking pictures, then I got a compass error and lots of other errors. My screen maintained an image, but no longer a live image, and it was no longer above me. It drifted away. I tried RTH, but it wouldn't then it started to, but appeared to be going wrong direction (not sure if it was because I was looking at screen), but was able to figure out where it was and get it back and land, but it was flying erratically. I was lucky I didn't fly into trees and landed safely on the grass, but it was ugly and scary.

Was unit in a crash? No. Little bit of a crash landing.

What have you tried so far?: Yesterday I recalibrated compass and IMU. I have done nothing since.

What device are you using? iPad Pro

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Newest

What Go app version are you using? 4

Any modification?
None

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? I have video cache and photos it was taking.

Anybody experienced this or have any ideas?

Attachments

• 2020-07-01_14-24-18_FLY013.DAT
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-01_[14-08-40].txt
    1 MB · Views: 7
It will be in the same place that you found FLY013.DAT - the MCDatFlightRecords directory - you just chose the wrong file.
Ugh. I pulled the files from my iPad but there isn't a 12 in that file. I also synced with DJI and Air Data UAV and they appear to show all of the information. I am unable to connect to drone with Assistant app....

Ugh. I pulled the files from my iPad but there isn't a 12 in that file. I also synced with DJI and Air Data UAV and they appear to show all of the information. I am unable to connect to drone with Assistant app....
Can I download from Airdata?

Attachments

• UAV Screen.png
    UAV Screen.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 11
I found these 3 .dat files on my ipad.

Attachments

• 2020-07-01 14_18_57-08RDE88001043S.dat
    174 bytes · Views: 1
  • 2020-07-01 14_16_49-08RDE88001043S.dat
    574 bytes · Views: 2
  • 2020-07-01 14_08_38-08RDE88001043S.dat
    436 bytes · Views: 1
Can I download from Airdata?

No - if xxxFLY012.DAT is missing then that's a problem. Are there any other files in the MCDatFlightRecords directory?

Another option is to retrieve the DAT file from the aircraft - since it is a Mavic 1 those files are readable.
I found these 3 .dat files on my ipad.

No - those are not relevant.

@sar104 I'm not sure how to give permission on the .dat file, but maybe this link for airdata helps?

AirData has the txt file, which you already posted - it's the DAT file that is needed. That's presumably in your Google Drive, but you need to allow unrestricted access to the directory link:

1593699843650.png

@sar104
Wow, this is painful, thanks for the effort/patience. Maybe the issues also prevented this dat file from being properly stored? In the file where I obtained the Fly 13 file, there were no prior dat files, only txt files. I was able to download the following dat files from the drone. The dates were either yesterday or 1-1-2020. I hope one is correct!
Gracias!

@sar104
Wow, this is painful, thanks for the effort/patience. Maybe the issues also prevented this dat file from being properly stored? In the file where I obtained the Fly 13 file, there were no prior dat files, only txt files. I was able to download the following dat files from the drone. The dates were either yesterday or 1-1-2020. I hope one is correct!
Gracias!

Wading through hundreds of MB of data is not an efficient way of finding it. Did you follow these instructions to retrieve the file? If so then you should have seen a list of flights with date and time, like this:

1593716799772.png

You are looking for the flight that started at or just before 2020/7/1, 14:08:00. Select that flight and export it.

Reactions: charliesRig
Wading through hundreds of MB of data is not an efficient way of finding it. Did you follow these instructions to retrieve the file? If so then you should have seen a list of flights with date and time, like this:

View attachment 106618

You are looking for the flight that started at or just before 2020/7/1, 14:08:00. Select that flight and export it.
Yes, and this is where we are. The dat files loaded are the ones above. At first I was unable to connect to drone because wire I used wouldn't connect. A file I loaded this morning (and last night I think) was from "selecting all". But you were only seeing last two times drone was turned on. This afternoon, I did each individually, with the exception of the last few.

Yes, and this is where we are. The dat files loaded are the ones above. At first I was unable to connect to drone because wire I used wouldn't connect. A file I loaded this morning (and last night I think) was from "selecting all". But you were only seeing last two times drone was turned on. This afternoon, I did each individually, with the exception of the last few.

Right - but which file was dated/timed 2020/7/1, 14:08:00? That's the one that we need, not all the others. You need to select just that one, export it and post it, otherwise I have to download all of them and then process them to figure out which is which. A little help here please.

Right - but which file was dated/timed 2020/7/1, 14:08:00? That's the one that we need, not all the others. You need to select just that one, export it and post it, otherwise I have to download all of them and then process them to figure out which is which. A little help here please.
Unfortunately, there isn't one. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• Dat files.jpg
    Dat files.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 14
Unfortunately, there isn't one. Here is what it looks like.
But please, I don't want you to go through a hassle. I think AirdataUVA and the DJI app provided enough information to suggest the unit needs to go back to DJI. There were hundreds of Yaw errors and compass errors, etc. I will contact them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky