DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic front vision warning during flight 300 feet up in sun

It wouldn't surprise me if we see something simular pop up on the aftermarket world but without the tape, so maybe it snaps on somehow, nice idea.

Reactions: niclariv
Interesting. So you say they don't interrupt forward object avoidance. Can you explain how that is so, as it appears from the picture that these completely obstruct the forward sensors.

I'm not being critical, just trying to understand more about what you designed, because it's VERY exciting.

If obstructed you would get that warning

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Today I was flying around 300 feet up over an open reservoir open space in bright sun. And I got the Forward vision sensor Waring a couple of times.

I’m pretty sure the message was “ cannot move forward due to obstacle avoidance” or some vision sensor warning. The Mavic would not move for a moment until i rotated and the all was good.
could it be the super bright sun ?
I hope I am explaining it correctly
jimmy

I had this happen to me just today! Was a pain in the butt, to get the bird home I flew backwards! LoL,,,,, any chance you could print me a set? I'd pay mailing!?! Sans the tape of course LoL

Reactions: skypros
Remember if this happens and you know you do not have an issue with an obstacle because you have good clear hight just flip the Mavic into Sport mode and you will be good to go as Sport mode disables the sensors

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

So glad I bumped into this site... and this post. It happened to me today. I guess its better to have this glitch than a sensor going bad. That's a great idea on the shades..... I wonder if polarization lenses would work.

Remember if this happens and you know you do not have an issue with an obstacle because you have good clear hight just flip the Mavic into Sport mode and you will be good to go as Sport mode disables the sensors
This forum is great! I had this exact issue today on my first sunny flight. Whenever I did a flat rotation towards the sun I'd get the warning. But I guess due to the angle of flight it did let me fly towards the sun.

More importantly, I had not considered what would happen if the sun was behind me and the drone couldn't come home. Sounds like I just flip that "Sport" switch on the side of the controller and I'm good to go.

I like the shade idea, but if this is not a regular occurrence "sport" seems like a better option for the time being.
Has anyone found this to be a regular distraction? (sun triggering sensors)

I had this happen.... It would fly about 1 MPH and when I tried to go faster.... The MP slamed the brakes on over and over again..... and Of course this was the 1st time I really flew it far away.
Flying backward is a great suggestion.... Thank You

I had this happen to me just today! Was a pain in the butt, to get the bird home I flew backwards! LoL

Thank You, I will also remember this suggestion Thumbswayup

No if it obstructed them in any way you'd have a constant sensor warning! That's how they work

You could always check by calibrating the vision sensors in the dji assistant app - it shows you a live view of what the vps cameras can see

You don't actually see anything just the areas being sensed, but why do that when the sensor alarm would be going off continuously at startup anyway if they were obstructed??? This can be tested by simply taking off and putting your hand in front of the Mavic!

You don't actually see anything just the areas being sensed, but why do that when the sensor alarm would be going off continuously at startup anyway if they were obstructed??? This can be tested by simply taking off and putting your hand in front of the Mavic!

I think we are on different pages.. Watch the video I sent from 2:20 - you can see live video coming from the front vps sensors. If the hood is blocking the corner of the sensor you'd be able to see it

If you obscure them completely yes they will moan, but not necessarily if you only covered 10-20% of them.

What I'm saying is the camera sensors are just that,,,, sensors there's no other way of using them except as such. Yes on the assistant 2 software you'll be able to see if they are partially being impaired but if so they would be even more susceptible to erroneous detection of false alarms like with the sun,,, any covering will make them false alarm even more so, Heck I'm confusing myself now LoL,,,, does this make more sense?

Reactions: jackgarner
What I'm saying is the camera sensors are just that,,,, sensors there's no other way of using them except as such. Yes on the assistant 2 software you'll be able to see if they are partially being impaired but if so they would be even more susceptible to erroneous detection of false alarms like with the sun,,, any covering will make them false alarm even more so? Heck I'm confusing myself now LoL,,,, does this make more sense?

Yeah =)

If they were better cameras it would be great to use them as 2d stereo FPV thought!

This was a validating thread. I just got my mavic a week ago and havent really stretched its' proverbial legs until today. as i was turning around to come back home, the avoidance sensor warning went off and it wouldn't move. i was in fact flying toward the sun at 300 feet. My first thought was a bird or a plane or i wasnt supposed to be flying in that area but now i know. Thanks everyone.

Any chance this was fixed in one of the last two updates?
I haven't noticed this issue in a while. Today I was flying in pretty bright sun...no obstacle errors.

It happened to me yesterday with the new update. I'm thinking about purchasing a camera hood and seeing if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: KiterTodd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato