DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic gaining altitude on it's own

Since a quad makes lots of wind when it lands, it is a good idea to keep the ultrasonic transducers and underside cameras cleaned. A little lightly compressed air on the transducers.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: mcquaim
You can calibrate the sensors using the DJI Assitant program on a computer.
It probably will help in this case.

That's awesome. I have yet to get any of my computers to recognize my Mavic when I connect them so I haven't experienced the joy of exploring or using the DJI Assistant software.

Today I turned on the DJI assist program to recalibrate the sensors on the Mavic as in the video, and everything went great UNTILL I got to the screen that calibration takes place. No black dots or any function of the cal program, it just sat there, white screen, Moved the Mavic in and out and nothing. tried exiting and back in , no workie. back to the main menu. looking at the current firmware, I had an option to Refresh,so that is what I did. running ver 1.03.0200. 10 minutes later, ready to go. Took it out and checked all settings, with sensor all on and Bamm, still not working correct. Turned off sensors and all is good. back to square one. Just a little update . Thanks all, Jeff

Today I turned on the DJI assist program to recalibrate the sensors on the Mavic as in the video, and everything went great UNTILL I got to the screen that calibration takes place. No black dots or any function of the cal program, it just sat there, white screen, Moved the Mavic in and out and nothing. tried exiting and back in , no workie. back to the main menu. looking at the current firmware, I had an option to Refresh,so that is what I did. running ver 1.03.0200. 10 minutes later, ready to go. Took it out and checked all settings, with sensor all on and Bamm, still not working correct. Turned off sensors and all is good. back to square one. Just a little update . Thanks all, Jeff
Maybe alternate between covering the cameras and the sonars with tape and see what happens. I'm guessing your sonars are bad and need replacing.

I had the same issue. I disconnected my second and third monitors on my iMac and the DJI assistant calibration worked just fine.

I had the same issue. I disconnected my second and third monitors on my iMac and the DJI assistant calibration worked just fine.

So my Mavic was also gaining altitude all by itself. It would also go into landing mode if I hit the down stick to drop altitude. At one point the aircraft ascended to over 300 feet. I hit return to home and it thought it was 5 feet off the ground and tried to land. I canceled and dropped it down but it stayed in landing mode and this resulted in the Mavic crashing/landing itself into the ground. I took off the landing gear I had purchased and put the Mavic back up in the air. No more issues. It appeared the landing gear at the rear of the aircraft was affecting the sonar signals, thus the aircraft had no idea where it was in comparison to the ground. I hope no one else has this issue and I will NEVER put landing gear on my Mavic.

You are correct. I had the same issue with mavic gaining altitude on its own. Took off the extended landing gear and it works great.

Reactions: Edecon
The polarpro landing gear avoids this issue by attaching to the back legs themselves keeping well away from the sensors. They're expensive compared to others however, and I'm not sure how they affect the folding of the arms. Personally, I don't see the point of landing gear on the mavic. Just buy and use a landing pad?

Like in the title, I haven't figured this out yet. I think it is a program thing. Well -- or my lack of knowledge. after take off with all systems go, raise it to 10 feet or more and hands off, it will start to raise by itself. just keeps creeping up. Very slow to respond to stick inputs. Try bringing it down and it acts like it does not want to respond. takes a long time to desend after stick is in bottom position, than it says LANDIND. Red X appears in left side screen and will not respond to touch. During slow descent it will drop a foot or so real fast and catch itself and continue to defend slowly. Hope this makes sense and if anybody can help I sure would appricate it. May end up having to send it in for repair. FYI never been crashed :).

Thank , Jeff

Had the same issue, it became very frustrating. I tried everything: sensors on and off nothing, I only managed to crash my drone. No severe damage luckily. And after a lot of wasted effort I took off the extension legs and solved the issue. Now my mavic is acting normal again. Maybe this could help others with this. The legs where probably blocking the sensors somehow, not sure. The only thing that matters is that I’m back in the sky again with no frustration!

Regards

Like in the title, I haven't figured this out yet. I think it is a program thing. Well -- or my lack of knowledge. after take off with all systems go, raise it to 10 feet or more and hands off, it will start to raise by itself. just keeps creeping up. Very slow to respond to stick inputs. Try bringing it down and it acts like it does not want to respond. takes a long time to desend after stick is in bottom position, than it says LANDIND. Red X appears in left side screen and will not respond to touch. During slow descent it will drop a foot or so real fast and catch itself and continue to defend slowly. Hope this makes sense and if anybody can help I sure would appricate it. May end up having to send it in for repair. FYI never been crashed :).

Thank , Jeff

The polarpro landing gear avoids this issue by attaching to the back legs themselves keeping well away from the sensors. They're expensive compared to others however, and I'm not sure how they affect the folding of the arms. Personally, I don't see the point of landing gear on the mavic. Just buy and use a landing pad?
I bought the Polar Pro's and it solved the issue.

Hi guys,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but my Mavic Pro just started having a similar issue.

On the Controller it shows an error "Downward Sensor Error" and then slowly gains altitude.

If I attempt to go lower the drone then goes into an automated landing mode.

I have calibrated the sensors and the compass and also cleaned the optical sensors with a cotton bud but it didn't fix anything.

Does anyone know if the error about the downward sensor error is in relation to the optical sensors or the sonar ones?

Thanks in advance,
Mac

I have calibrated the sensors and the compass and also cleaned the optical sensors with a cotton bud but it didn't fix anything.
You could just disable the downward sensors in the app settings.
They aren't much use anyway.

Reactions: mcquaim and Wilbur
You could just disable the downward sensors in the app settings.
They aren't much use anyway.
I could but I don't think I'd feel too comfortable flying without them..

Anyone know which sensors that error relates to?

I eventually got my hands on a can of compressed air and blew out the ultrasonic sensors and thankfully that has fixed the issue.

They didn't look in the slightest bit dirty but they must be very sensitive.

Hopefully this might help someone else in the future...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803