DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Gimbal Repair

FCBHokie

Reactions
So I replaced both the silver wire and the ribbon cable to my mavic gimbal after I had a bird drop my Mavic from about 150' up. After replacing the ribbon cable the mavic gimbal moved fine but I wasn't receiving any video transmission. I then replaced the silver wires to the camera and now I can view the videos I shot before the crash but can't see anything live. The gimbal also now says its overloaded and I can't move it. It knows the pitch because you can see it on the screen. Any suggestions on what could be wrong now/ suggestions on how to trouble shoot what could be wrong?

You say you're getting a gimbal overload message, anything about gimbal obstructed?

Possible culprits for no gimbal movement are your gimbal control board, and gimbal motor assembly.

Possible culprits for no video are gimbal control board, camera body circuit board.

You say you're getting a gimbal overload message, anything about gimbal obstructed?

Possible culprits for no gimbal movement are your gimbal control board, and gimbal motor assembly.

Possible culprits for no video are gimbal control board, camera body circuit board.

So I meant to say gimbal is obstructed, it asks if the gimbal clamp is in the way. It is not.

I think the gimbal control board is okay because prior to replacing the silver wire the gimbal itself was working perfect. What is the camera body circuit board? And more importantly can I replace it?

So I meant to say gimbal is obstructed, it asks if the gimbal clamp is in the way. It is not.

I think the gimbal control board is okay because prior to replacing the silver wire the gimbal itself was working perfect. What is the camera body circuit board? And more importantly can I replace it?

If you're getting a gimbal obstructed message you might need a gimbal motor assembly or a gimbal control board.

The gimbal control board has passthroughs for gimbal and video.

You might need to replace either or both of the following parts. I would replace the gimbal control board first, then if everything is ok, that's all you need. If you get video but still gimbal motor obstructed, you need the motor assembly too. Sometimes it takes me 3 hours to troubleshoot a faulty gimbal. Then I go do deep breathing exercises.

1.jpg
gimbal.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master
If you're getting a gimbal obstructed message you might need a gimbal motor assembly or a gimbal control board.

The gimbal control board has passthroughs for gimbal and video.

You might need to replace either or both of the following parts. I would replace the gimbal control board first, then if everything is ok, that's all you need. If you get video but still gimbal motor obstructed, you need the motor assembly too. Sometimes it takes me 3 hours to troubleshoot a faulty gimbal. Then I go do deep breathing exercises.

View attachment 14541
View attachment 14542
could also be bad cable.
i've done about 35-40 of the mavic gimbal cable replacements (so far LOL) and ran into some where i got the same results as the OP,
everything works but no live video. tried with a different cable and it was working.
i tested about 4 different vendors for the cable and have had issues with all but the ones i purchased
from F.stop. (i am in no way affiliated with them, just another guy fixing UAV's :) )

hope this info helps.
hani

could also be bad cable.
i've done about 35-40 of the mavic gimbal cable replacements (so far LOL) and ran into some where i got the same results as the OP,
everything works but no live video. tried with a different cable and it was working.
i tested about 4 different vendors for the cable and have had issues with all but the ones i purchased
from F.stop. (i am in no way affiliated with them, just another guy fixing UAV's :) )

hope this info helps.
hani

Gimbal motor obstructed means there is a problem with the gimbal motor assembly or the control board. A new cable is not going to fix a bad motor or circuit board. Ive done a good number more than 35-40. :)

Gimbal motor obstructed means there is a problem with the gimbal motor assembly or the control board. A new cable is not going to fix a bad motor or circuit board. Ive done a good number more than 35-40. :)
I wasn't referring to the motor obstruction.
I know that gimbal cable won't fix that,
So if you re-read my post you will notice I was referring to a no video issue.

I'm sure you are knowledgeable and have done your share of fixing gimbals but when you have over 1400 birds going through your hands in the past 2 years then some knowledge is also learned from first hand experience. ;)

I wasn't referring to the motor obstruction.
I know that gimbal cable won't fix that,
So if you re-read my post you will notice I was referring to a no video issue.

I'm sure you are knowledgeable and have done your share of fixing gimbals but when you have over 1400 birds going through your hands in the past 2 years then some knowledge is also learned from first hand experience. ;)

Yes, most of your experience is with Phantoms. Mine is all with Mavics. 600+

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett