DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic goes straight up with no control

@Dgaskin, did you take a look at the TXT flight log? If not, you can upload it and view it online here.

I'm thinking the downward sensors were detecting the ground and your Mavic kept ascending to try to get away from the ground. That sometimes happens when the Landing Protection feature is enabled. You can confirm that by checking the "VPS Altitude" column after uploading your TXT flight log at the link above.
Msinger I had the same thing happen to me and I was looking at my data log from the drone. I'm looking at colum "VPS Altitude" most of the colum is blank.
here is a copy the end of the flight. what is vert-low-limit-landing?
mavic crash.pdf

Attachments

• mavic crash.pdf
    249.9 KB · Views: 17
I can confirm that it happens. My new Mavic flew flawlessly for the first half dozen or so flights then on "Auto Take Off" (that is all that I have used) it went up and did not stop. It does this maybe 4 out of 5 times or more. I have the latest firmware installed. Using I Phone 6S, no crashes or hard landings. Recalibrated IMU, RC, Compass. All of these multiple times. I have to hold down the left stick to bring it down. If I let go to use the right stick, it goes back up. Just sent it back to DJI in California. I hope they fix it in a timely manor.

If you upload the DAT from the Mavic to dropbox I can see if the signal was reaching the drone. A new feature in CsvView is the ability to see the RC signal strength the drone is receiving. Look at my signature for the link to the instructions.

Rob

If you upload the DAT from the Mavic to dropbox I can see if the signal was reaching the drone. A new feature in CsvView is the ability to see the RC signal strength the drone is receiving. Look at my signature for the link to the instructions.

Rob

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Can the "DAT" be uploaded from my phone because I already sent it back to DJI.
I am guessing that it was receiving my signal because I was only a few feet away & by holding down the Left Stick, I could bring if back down. If I let the stick go then it would again start rising. Redoing calibrations did not help.

Can the "DAT" be uploaded from my phone because I already sent it back to DJI.
No. DAT files are only stored on the Mavic's internal memory card.

what is vert-low-limit-landing?
It means your Mavic switched to Forced Landing mode. Your flight log shows you had the throttle in the full down position while the downward sensors were detecting the ground was near. That's the recipe that causes Forced Landing mode to be enabled when the Mavic is not near the ground.

It means your Mavic switched to Forced Landing mode. Your flight log shows you had the throttle in the full down position while the downward sensors were detecting the ground was near. That's the recipe that causes Forced Landing mode to be enabled when the Mavic is not near the ground.

This would suggest an error in the ground sensors optical or sonic. I'd let DJI take a look at it. Might be covered as manufacturing defect.

Thank you

This would suggest an error in the ground sensors optical or sonic. I'd let DJI take a look at it. Might be covered as manufacturing defect.
Here are some more common causes:
  • Something from the ground was reflecting into the downward sensors
  • A GPS tracker antenna or some other 3rd party accessory is installed near the downward sensors
  • The sensors are dirty
  • The sensors needs to be calibrated

Reactions: Mavic Schwa
Here are some more common causes:
  • Something from the ground was reflecting into the downward sensors
  • A GPS tracker antenna or some other 3rd party accessory is installed near the downward sensors
  • The sensors are dirty
  • The sensors needs to be calibrated
I've only had it happen once. But I'll do a calibration

They say to re link controller to drone after firmware update. I gave had a problem that it would not link together after an update. The thing is DJI are doing updates by the hour almost. I've set out in a field waiting for the update to finish.
I always fly with the iPad in Airplane mode to avoid updating in the field.

have the same issue VPS is showing 0.1m and the drone just keeps going up and up and up. RTM and land mode is the only way to bring it back down. DoA it is. only had it a week

Have done all bar the remote repair, but that wouldn't cause a senor issue

MDL

Attachments

• dji2.jpg
    dji2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 22
Shivers, this sounds really serious! Does this happen with Android AND iOS devices? What is the exact firmware version that produces this result? Can firmware be rolled back? What is DJI saying about this problem?

A Mavic Pro is not small change for me, and the thought of it being lost or destroyed through no fault of my own is scary!

Shivers, this sounds really serious! Does this happen with Android AND iOS devices? What is the exact firmware version that produces this result? Can firmware be rolled back? What is DJI saying about this problem?

A Mavic Pro is not small change for me, and the thought of it being lost or destroyed through no fault of my own is scary!
Can't get a reply from them. Have had people look at the log file and it's a faulty vps sensor. The vps shows 10m then zero. Can see the altitude change and the vps still on zero

@Dgaskin - any chance you use extended landing gear? You might have had the rear landing gear on backwards, which blocks the vision sensor and makes the craft rise and rise...

Wow! This just happened to me right after I did the last update. I found that me adding some little strobe lights to the legs cause it. I did a precision take-off and it just kept climbing. I was lucky to be able to finally bring it down by holding the left stick down as it slowly came down ... foot by foot. I took the strobes off and it seemed fine. I put them on again and the same thing started to happen, I was ready for it this time and got in to land pretty fast. Strange stuff.

Reactions: 904jedipilot
Wow! This just happened to me right after I did the last update. I found that me adding some little strobe lights to the legs cause it. I did a precision take-off and it just kept climbing. I was lucky to be able to finally bring it down by holding the left stick down as it slowly came down ... foot by foot. I took the strobes off and it seemed fine. I put them on again and the same thing started to happen, I was ready for it this time and got in to land pretty fast. Strange stuff.

Mine was straight out of the box. Faulty sensor. The firmware seemed to fix it. But I say it was just lucky. Happened again. Went back to the retailer and swapped it over

Hmmm - I'm about to attach a little strobe to mine. I wonder what happened. Seems like attaching them to the legs should be well out of the way of the downward sensor.

the 2 legs ( in the front) have antennas and i think compass in them. So putting the light ( metal) on a leg may of caused the problem for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929