DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic hdmi out to the possible?

brodz

Reactions
I've been having a hard time finding out this subject when searching ..so does it work?

There's no HDMI port on the Mavic

I mean with the new dji goggles HDMI port..would it be possible ..or would there be any better options than there is using your tablet or cell ..??

I mean with the new dji goggles HDMI port..would it be possible ..or would there be any better options than there is using your tablet or cell ..??

HDMI is one-way only. Either a source or an input. Easiest way would be to set up a stream to an Apple TV from the tablet. A little more advanced would be to stream to an RTMP server:

How to set up your own private RTMP server using nginx | Open Broadcaster Software

This is on my todo list, maybe this weekend I'll try it out. If I get really motivated I might even put up a post with some of the DJI Go specifics and what to do with this once you get the server set up.

But then there's dead-calm winds and clear skies this morning too...

OK, I just got a (mostly) working Raspberry Pi based RTMP server set up. I say mostly working because it won't yet stream over the Pi's WiFi hotspot or the Pi's display. Pretty sure that's just a configuration issue with nginx. But I can stream to my PC and iPad when they are connected to the same network as the Ethernet interface, and that's a pretty good start.

quick cut and paste of my notes:
slow apt-get update ipv6 fix: IPv6 and Ubuntu / Debian / Raspberry Pi slow updates – Nick Lansley's Innovation Lab
set up PI 3 as wifi AP: Using your new Raspberry Pi 3 as a WiFi access point with hostapd
nginx RTMP server: How to set up your own private RTMP server using nginx | Open Broadcaster Software

In order to stream from DJI Go 4, go into the Live Broadcast options, click RTMP/Custom and enter the IP address of the Raspberry PI - rtmp://192.168.88.199/live in my case. If/when I get the hotspot playing with nginx it will be rtmp://172.24.1.1/live. You'll also use the same address for the clients, and they'll need to connect to the Pi's hotspot first. If all goes well you should see a delayed picture from your Mavic, and audio from your phone.

If your ISP isn't running IPv6 or your router doesn't support native IPv6 don't worry about the first link. It is only there because the Raspberry Pi Foundation's servers aren't set up for IPv6 so the update process is very slow. For now if you want to stream to devices that are all on the same WiFi LAN and are in range you can skip the AP configuration too. But I want to be able to stream to devices without any other infrastructure so getting that to work is going to be important to me. I could also just carry around a router, which would probably have better coverage anyway, but that's also one more thing to mess with in the field. For clients I used the VLC app on my Mac and iPad, both connected and started streaming right away.

Quality is pretty decent although will get worse the more clients connect, especially if using the Pi as a hotspot. There is about a 3-5 second delay over a wired connection. Not much can be done about that so I don't know that I'd want to use it for navigation, but for a director or client it could be pretty useful.

If anyone is interested but doesn't want to manually build, I can upload an image to somewhere once I get some of bugs resolved and clean up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 09srt6 and Pathogen
OK, I just got a (mostly) working Raspberry Pi based RTMP server set up. I say mostly working because it won't yet stream over the Pi's WiFi hotspot or the Pi's display. Pretty sure that's just a configuration issue with nginx. But I can stream to my PC and iPad when they are connected to the same network as the Ethernet interface, and that's a pretty good start.

quick cut and paste of my notes:
slow apt-get update ipv6 fix: IPv6 and Ubuntu / Debian / Raspberry Pi slow updates – Nick Lansley's Innovation Lab
set up PI 3 as wifi AP: Using your new Raspberry Pi 3 as a WiFi access point with hostapd
nginx RTMP server: How to set up your own private RTMP server using nginx | Open Broadcaster Software

In order to stream from DJI Go 4, go into the Live Broadcast options, click RTMP/Custom and enter the IP address of the Raspberry PI - rtmp://192.168.88.199/live in my case. If/when I get the hotspot playing with nginx it will be rtmp://172.24.1.1/live. You'll also use the same address for the clients, and they'll need to connect to the Pi's hotspot first. If all goes well you should see a delayed picture from your Mavic, and audio from your phone.

If your ISP isn't running IPv6 or your router doesn't support native IPv6 don't worry about the first link. It is only there because the Raspberry Pi Foundation's servers aren't set up for IPv6 so the update process is very slow. For now if you want to stream to devices that are all on the same WiFi LAN and are in range you can skip the AP configuration too. But I want to be able to stream to devices without any other infrastructure so getting that to work is going to be important to me. I could also just carry around a router, which would probably have better coverage anyway, but that's also one more thing to mess with in the field. For clients I used the VLC app on my Mac and iPad, both connected and started streaming right away.

Quality is pretty decent although will get worse the more clients connect, especially if using the Pi as a hotspot. There is about a 3-5 second delay over a wired connection. Not much can be done about that so I don't know that I'd want to use it for navigation, but for a director or client it could be pretty useful.

If anyone is interested but doesn't want to manually build, I can upload an image to somewhere once I get some of bugs resolved and clean up.

I am not very tech minded but I am super interested in rtmp streaming over a local network so the video feed can be viewed on more than 1 device.

I've been using Apple TV to mirror the screen but I'd really like to explore rtmp streaming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78