DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 batteries swollen after only 32 charge circles. DJI don't want to recognize that there is a problem with their batteries.

CharlieHux

Reactions
Hi everyone. I got the mini 2 fly more combo in December 2020. The 3 batteries are swollen now. The have in average, 30 charge cicles. It's weird, to say the less, that s high tec battery has on 30 charges of live before failing. If I would have flown my mini 2 everyday, my batteries would have last only one month . I call DJI and they said that they won't replace them and I have to buy new ones.
As this is a rip off to consumers and a fligjt safety issue, both the Department of Consumer Affairs and the Federal Aviation Administration must be informed. If anyone is having this problem with any Mavic series batteries please respond to this thread to document the case. I'm attaching the batteries info screenshots.

Attachments

• IMG-20221023-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20221023-WA0024.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20221023-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20221023-WA0025.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-20221023-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20221023-WA0022.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-20221023-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20221023-WA0023.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-20221023-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20221023-WA0021.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 63
Hello, I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I have some questions.
- How were the batteries handled? Were they always in a cool, dry environment, never left in a hot vehicle, for example?
- For how long (maximum) were the batteries left charged?
- On what percentage were you landing your drone at?

All of these and more factors contribute to the overall health of the batteries. DJI has a warranty on their batteries, so I would guess they could cover such an issue.

Reactions: CharlieHux
In general I'm used to companies only providing 12 months warranty on batteries. Is that not normal with drones too?
Well, if you feel comfortable with the fact that your high technology expensive batteries fail after only 30 charges in 20 months and after some reasearch you find out that there are several cases, even with newer batteries, it's ok. For me that's a manufacturer issue that affects not the customers pocket only but a safety issue that deserves a malfunction warning recall. I have tenths of devices using lithium batteries (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) and believe me, no one have had problem after 30 charge cicles. For me, this is a rip off.
Hello, I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I have some questions.
- How were the batteries handled? Were they always in a cool, dry environment, never left in a hot vehicle, for example?
- For how long (maximum) were the batteries left charged?
- On what percentage were you landing your drone at?

All of these and more factors contribute to the overall health of the batteries. DJI has a warranty on their batteries, so I would guess they could cover such an issue.
The batteries were not exposed at high temperatures, never left in an overheated car, always landed at least when the low battery warning (20 percent). Never left to discharge completely, always charged the day before of the use. The drone has flown 100 times as much. 30 charges in average each battery. Can you imagine your cellphone, ipad, laptop, whatever device powered with lithium ion batteries failing after 30 charge cicles? I would say that's a ripoff. And all them at the same time? DJI know this problem. Obviously, they bet the customer don't realize the battery is swelling until past the warranty period. Regards.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Guys going to move this to the correct section 👍👍

Well, if you feel comfortable with the fact that your high technology expensive batteries fail after only 30 charges in 20 months and after some reasearch you find out that there are several cases, even with newer batteries, it's ok. For me that's a manufacturer issue that affects not the customers pocket only but a safety issue that deserves a malfunction warning recall. I have tenths of devices using lithium batteries (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) and believe me, no one have had problem after 30 charge cicles. For me, this is a rip off.

The batteries were not exposed at high temperatures, never left in an overheated car, always landed at least when the low battery warning (20 percent). Never left to discharge completely, always charged the day before of the use. The drone has flown 100 times as much. 30 charges in average each battery. Can you imagine your cellphone, ipad, laptop, whatever device powered with lithium ion batteries failing after 30 charge cicles? I would say that's a ripoff. And all them at the same time? DJI know this problem. Obviously, they bet the customer don't realize the battery is swelling until past the warranty period. Regards.
Something you haven't considered for your comparison of Lithium batteries and the related devices is.......most or all of the devices will never see a discharge rate greater than 1C, which is not the case for the Mini 2. Some of those devices will have Li-ion cells and most will have only one. Some of those devices may have Li-ion HV cells, but they generally don't have LiPo HV cells that the Mini 2 does. So the comparisons are not really comparisons. Generally higher C rated Lithium cells will have a shorter lifetime or # of cycles.
If your not a Sport mode flyer, I'd suggest you purchase some Mini 1 Li-ion battery packs which can be used and stored without much care. The down side is they are heavier and will put you over 250g, but if your registered with the FAA that shouldn't present a concern. If taken down to 20% as you state, the flight time will be comparable, they can be charged with the Mini 2 charger or in the drone properly.

…The batteries were not exposed at high temperatures, never left in an overheated car, always landed at least when the low battery warning (20 percent). Never left to discharge completely, always charged the day before of the use...
Am I reading correctly that your batteries were usually stored at 20%?
That is too low for a storage charge, and likely shortened battery life.

If you fully charge batts, after a few days the internal management system will self discharge to a good storage level. An alternative is to partially charge after flight. Most sources I’ve seen recommend 60% as a storage charge.

The manual gives the values for translating the 4 LEDs status to percentages.

Reactions: Elthree
It may not be fair, but battery warranty limited by elapsed time and not by number of charge cycles is standard in (all? most?) industries.

And if you leave batteries under-charged at ~20% for months that's not going to do good things for them. Even if you thought at the time you were doing the right thing. I would not expect DJI to take responsibility for your mistakes.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Something you haven't considered for your comparison of Lithium batteries and the related devices is.......most or all of the devices will never see a discharge rate greater than 1C, which is not the case for the Mini 2. Some of those devices will have Li-ion cells and most will have only one. Some of those devices may have Li-ion HV cells, but they generally don't have LiPo HV cells that the Mini 2 does. So the comparisons are not really comparisons. Generally higher C rated Lithium cells will have a shorter lifetime or # of cycles.
If your not a Sport mode flyer, I'd suggest you purchase some Mini 1 Li-ion battery packs which can be used and stored without much care. The down side is they are heavier and will put you over 250g, but if your registered with the FAA that shouldn't present a concern. If taken down to 20% as you state, the flight time will be comparable, they can be charged with the Mini 2 charger or in the drone properly.

Anyway, 30 charge cycles for a battery is a rip off. If one of the 3 would have had the problem, may be I would thought that it was a defective one. But 3 batteries at the same time, no way. If you do some research on the web you'll find that this issue has happened with many other people. It applies for most of the Mavic line batteries using lithium ion polimer.
Thanks for the advise regarding Mini 1 batteries. I had one before buying the Mini 2 and yes, the batteries fit and work. The core of the Mini 1 battery is a pair of 18650 3.7 Volts.
I'm going to file a claim against DJI in the Dep. Consumer Affairs. I've gathered enough evidence of the malfunction of these batteries including DJI firmware updates related with their batteries. I'll write my concerns about safety to the FAA. They must be aware of the risk of these little bombs flying everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: rickmurray1989
Am I reading correctly that your batteries were usually stored at 20%?
That is too low for a storage charge, and likely shortened battery life.

If you fully charge batts, after a few days the internal management system will self discharge to a good storage level. An alternative is to partially charge after flight. Most sources I’ve seen recommend 60% as a storage charge.

The manual gives the values for translating the 4 LEDs status to percentages.

I said I land with 20 percent. I used to recharge them after the flights. They used to discharge between flights, so I had to recharge them before flying again. And please. Looks like rocket science to handle this batteries! Next time I'm going to build a climatized bunker at home, with controlled temperature and humidity, UV blocking and X-Ray armor to extend the life of my batteries for some more than 30 charges.

It may not be fair, but battery warranty limited by elapsed time and not by number of charge cycles is standard in (all? most?) industries.

And if you leave batteries under-charged at ~20% for months that's not going to do good things for them. Even if you thought at the time you were doing the right thing. I would not expect DJI to take responsibility for your mistakes.
My responsibility? I said I land around 20 percent. I never said I left them discharged for months. I recharged them after flying and recharge again before flights. Where do you read that I stored my batteries for months? A 100 flights during 20 months average 5 flights a month.
Can you post the official DJI Mini 2 batteries care and handle manual for consumers?

I've done it. I've sent photos, screenshots of the battery info taken from the Fly App, I've sent YouTube links of customers having the same issue, including a video who got four Mavic Pro batteries replaced at no charge for the same Issue. I own the DJI care refresh insurance. They have answered that "I have to buy new batteries from their website" and as a loyal customer, they offer me a discount of ten bucks per battery. Tomorrow I'll mail them again to let them know my next steps with the FAA and the DCA. I won't lose nothing more than the great 10 bucks rebate on the purchase of new batteries.
Don't call, e-mail support with logs and pictures. You will get farther that wa

I said I land with 20 percent. I used to recharge them after the flights. They used to discharge between flights, so I had to recharge them before flying again. And please. Looks like rocket science to handle this batteries! Next time I'm going to build a climatized bunker at home, with controlled temperature and humidity, UV blocking and X-Ray armor to extend the life of my batteries for some more than 30 charges.
Being serious. Read the whole battery instructions on the manual (pages 22 to 24) and decide by yourselves if there is any warning about the possibilty of hurt the battery besides using a non approved charger. I did not abuse or misuse my batteries. I'm a photographer that takes good care of mi expensive gear (cameras, lenses, strobes, flashes) most of them lithium ion and some lithium ion polymer batteries powered, and never had a such ridiculous short charging cycles life. Actually, I use my drone for weddings, family sessions and some real state photo and video. I very seldom use it just for fun.

If I would have flown my mini 2 everyday, my batteries would have last only one month .
That's faulty logic. It falsely assumes that it is the 30 flights that caused the battery failure, rather than the two years that have elapsed, which is the real cause! DJI batteries have a 6 month warranty. Had they failed within 6 months of purchase with less than 150 flights without abuse, they would have been replaced free under warranty. Buy new ones, and don't wait two years to use them. They are meant to be flown, not stored.

Reactions: Slawaw and Elthree
My responsibility? I said I land around 20 percent. I never said I left them discharged for months. I recharged them after flying and recharge again before flights. Where do you read that I stored my batteries for months? A 100 flights during 20 months average 5 flights a month.
Sorry, you did not say you recharged them after flying. You spelt out a lot else, and your omission of that seemed pertinent.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlieHux
That's faulty logic. It falsely assumes that it is the 30 flights that caused the battery failure, rather than the two years that have elapsed, which is the real cause! DJI batteries have a 6 month warranty. Had they failed within 6 months of purchase with less than 150 flights without abuse, they would have been replaced free under warranty. Buy new ones, and don't wait two years to use them. They are meant to be flown, not stored.
Wow! Is inspiring your heroic defense of DJI.
Batteries were not stored for two years. In fact, they were used four, maybe five times every month.
Batteries were not "abused" whatever this mean for you.
Batteries were used four or five times each since late December 2020 when I purchase the drone.
Anyway, there is a lot of customers of the Mavic line reporting the same defect on the so called "intelligent batteries", DJI has released several battery firmware updates since it was launched in 2020. Something is obviously wrong and I won't stay quiet.
Read the manual (pages 22-24) and looks like there is nothing (overcharging, high temperature charge) apart of using non authorized chargers that could affect the "intelligent battery". Read the part related with storing the battery for more than 3 months.
Let's see what says the California's DCA and the FAA after they receive my complaints and safety concerns. Who knows. Probably a safety warning recall provide new batteries for every Mavic owner. 😉

Sorry, you did not say you recharged them after flying. You spelt out a lot else, and your omission of that seemed pertinent.
No problem. I'm posting here because after researching, this is a recurrent defect of this batteries and many customers are being affected. I'm not posting to discuss with anybody. It's pretty simple. This manufacture, design or whatever problem that causes the battery swells affects to every single customer. DJI knows it (have you realized how many battery firmware updates have them released). So, if I can do something to make DJI assumes it's responsibility, I will.
By the way, do you own a mini 2? Since when? How many times have you charged your batteries? Just curious.

Wow! Is inspiring your heroic defense of DJI.
Batteries were not stored for two years. In fact, they were used four, maybe five times every month.
Batteries were not "abused" whatever this mean for you.
Batteries were used four or five times each since late December 2020 when I purchase the drone.
Anyway, there is a lot of customers of the Mavic line reporting the same defect on the so called "intelligent batteries", DJI has released several battery firmware updates since it was launched in 2020. Something is obviously wrong and I won't stay quiet.
Read the manual (pages 22-24) and looks like there is nothing (overcharging, high temperature charge) apart of using non authorized chargers that could affect the "intelligent battery". Read the part related with storing the battery for more than 3 months.
Let's see what says the California's DCA and the FAA after they receive my complaints and safety concerns. Who knows. Probably a safety warning recall provide new batteries for every Mavic owner.
You are conveniently ignoring my correction of your false logic,

"If I would have flown my mini 2 everyday, my batteries would have last only one month."

False.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada