DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 batteries swollen after only 32 charge circles. DJI don't want to recognize that there is a problem with their batteries.

You are conveniently ignoring my correction of your false logic,

"If I would have flown my mini 2 everyday, my batteries would have last only one month."

False.
False logic?
Well, let's se what mathematics and logics have to say. "If a battery swells after 30 charges and it's used once everyday, then, the battery life is 30 days. As one month has, in average, 30 days, then, the battery life is one month"
1 month=30 days then 1 charge × day ×30 days= 1 month.
Where is the false logic?
By the way. Do you own a Mini 2? How long have you owned it? How many times have you charged your battery? Have you noticed that the battery fits thighter in the hub or drone? I ask this last because on of mine started fitting tighter and tighter until the grade that to take it out of the hub my son had to hold it while is pull it out. If you note this, man, your batteries will continue expanding until you won't be able to take them out of the drone-hub or they explode because the gas accumulated.

I would say that's a ripoff. And all them at the same time? DJI know this problem. Obviously, they bet the customer don't realize the battery is swelling until past the warranty period.
Your batteries are probably faulty, and probably not because of your fault. They shouldn't do that after 30 charge cycles. Mine have almost 200 charge cycles, no swelling whatsoever.
Contact DJI again and get them to replace the batteries.

Reactions: CharlieHux
The Mini 2 batteries have a warranty period of 12 months or 200 charge cycles, whichever comes first. Your batteries are almost 10 months past their warranty expiration.

When you bought yours, the warranty was only 6 months.

False logic?
Well, let's se what mathematics and logics have to say. "If a battery swells after 30 charges and it's used once everyday, then, the battery life is 30 days. As one month has, in average, 30 days, then, the battery life is one month"
1 month=30 days then 1 charge × day ×30 days= 1 month.
Where is the false logic?
By the way. Do you own a Mini 2? How long have you owned it? How many times have you charged your battery? Have you noticed that the battery fits thighter in the hub or drone? I ask this last because on of mine started fitting tighter and tighter until the grade that to take it out of the hub my son had to hold it while is pull it out. If you note this, man, your batteries will continue expanding until you won't be able to take them out of the drone-hub or they explode because the gas accumulated.
Already answered in post #16.
"It falsely assumes that it is the 30 flights that caused the battery failure, rather than the two years that have elapsed, which is the real cause!"
You didn't conduct 30 flights in 30 days.
You took 2 years to conduct 30 flights, and you conveniently ignored the age of the batteries at the present time in your "logic," and falsely assumed that battery age was irrelevant. Batteries start aging from date of manufacture. Their age matters even if unflown. Two year old batteries are 18 months past their 6 month warranty period. Batteries are an item of consumption. Some last longer than others. Anything past the 6 month warranty is bonus time, no matter what your expectations are.

I own a Mini 2 and my batteries fit just fine, but if they now started swelling, I certainly wouldn't expect DJI to replace them for free after two years, when their warranty is only 6 months. JMHO.

Some members are argue that it's my fault because I stored them for a long time (that's not true). Read the manual, page 22-24 and it says "if you plan to store your battery for more than 3 months, bla bla bla". This statement says implicitly that batteries can be stored for 3 or more months. There is not a single line that says "don't store the battery for more than whatever. What do they have to say about the time a drone can be stored in a shop? Are they sold by the store the next day after the arrival?
Reading the manual again, the battery is so intelligent that it has self protection against overheating, overcharging, low voltage charging. Is almost indestructible accordingly with the manual. I did not abused of the batteries in any way. Can you please tell me when did you buy your drone? Probably the date of manufacture of the batteries has some relation. Mine was bought the last week of December 2020. This version of the Mini was released in November of that year. Mine must be the first batch of Mini 2 sold in the US.

Already answered in post #16.
"It falsely assumes that it is the 30 flights that caused the battery failure, rather than the two years that have elapsed, which is the real cause!"
You didn't conduct 30 flights in 30 days.
You took 2 years to conduct 30 flights, and you conveniently ignored the age of the batteries at the present time in your "logic," and falsely assumed that battery age was irrelevant. Batteries start aging from date of manufacture. Their age matters even if unflown. Two year old batteries are 18 months past their 6 month warranty period. Batteries are an item of consumption. Some last longer than others. Anything past the 6 month warranty is bonus time, no matter what your expectations are.

I own a Mini 2 and my batteries fit just fine, but if they now started swelling, I certainly wouldn't expect DJI to replace them for free after two years, when their warranty is only 6 months. JMHO.
Hey dude. Please read the manual, page 22 to 24 and put attention in the part where it says " if you plan to store your battery for MORE THAN 3 MONTHS, discharge it to 30 percent". What do you understand? Can they, accordingly with the manual, be stored for 3 months or more or not? Can you find in the manual the part you are using as argument to declare me guilty of the breaking my batteries where is said that they cannot be stored for any lapse of time,? You should re-write the manual with your thoughts and beliefs and send it to DJI engineers. I'm glad you got a good set of batteries with a lifespan I would expected from mine. Maybe a different batch than mine. Matter of luck. I bought mine a soon as it was available in the stores. Probably this was a mistake and I should have waited to read reviews about it. Think whatever you wish. I'm not asking you to replace my batteries. I'm asking that to DJI. I'll take my case to the California's DCA if they don't assume their responsibility for this issue and let's see what happens. I already lose 160 bucks. Can't lose nothing more. Just one more quote. This batteries, made in China, must meet the Chinese standard GB 31241-2014. The standard sets that the battery must pass a test of 500 charge-discharge cycles. Well below the life of my 3 batteries.

Some members are argue that it's my fault because I stored them for a long time (that's not true). Read the manual, page 22-24 and it says "if you plan to store your battery for more than 3 months, bla bla bla". This statement says implicitly that batteries can be stored for 3 or more months. There is not a single line that says "don't store the battery for more than whatever. What do they have to say about the time a drone can be stored in a shop? Are they sold by the store the next day after the arrival?
Reading the manual again, the battery is so intelligent that it has self protection against overheating, overcharging, low voltage charging. Is almost indestructible accordingly with the manual. I did not abused of the batteries in any way. Can you please tell me when did you buy your drone? Probably the date of manufacture of the batteries has some relation. Mine was bought the last week of December 2020. This version of the Mini was released in November of that year. Mine must be the first batch of Mini 2 sold in the US.
I certainly wouldn’t say it is your fault. I'm sure you maintained your batteries properly. Problem is that they are now almost two years old, almost a year and a half past their warranty period. Expressing righteous indignation and threatening lawsuits at this time won't get you anywhere. Some batteries start swelling earlier than others, as they age. It's the nature of the beast. It has been an ongoing issue with Mavic 2 batteries, and certainly isn't limited to them. DJI's early battery algorithms were not as aggressive at discharging stored batteries as the current ones. When you are an early adopter, these problems are more prevalent. Later in the manufacturing lifecycle, tweaks and improvements are made that prolong battery life, and some battery batches are just more prone to early swelling, or it may be that everyone's Mini 2 batteries will start swelling as they get closer to 2 years old. Hard to tell. Either way, you still need new batteries.

My recommendation would be to escalate your case within DJI and plead your case to a sympathetic person in upper management, instead of the low level techs, who only have authority to say no or a 10% discount. Point out that these were bought very early in the lifecycle and are swelling prematurely, despite being properly maintained. I was successful in getting a couple of swollen Mavic 2 batteries replaced that way. However, it was not a demand. It was a well reasoned plea for help, made to someone within DJI who had the authority to say yes. Try that instead.

If that also fails, these are cheap batteries. How much time and energy do you want to invest to save $200 at best? Many Inspire owners had similar issues with multiple $450 batteries with no success. Just be realistic, and get on with enjoying the drone's capabilities. Don't let bad customer service deprive you of that.

Hey dude. Please read the manual, page 22 to 24 and put attention in the part where it says " if you plan to store your battery for MORE THAN 3 MONTHS, discharge it to 30 percent". What do you understand? Can they, accordingly with the manual, be stored for 3 months or more or not? Can you find in the manual the part you are using as argument to declare me guilty of the breaking my batteries where is said that they cannot be stored for any lapse of time,? You should re-write the manual with your thoughts and beliefs and send it to DJI engineers. I'm glad you got a good set of batteries with a lifespan I would expected from mine. Maybe a different batch than mine. Matter of luck. I bought mine a soon as it was available in the stores. Probably this was a mistake and I should have waited to read reviews about it. Think whatever you wish. I'm not asking you to replace my batteries. I'm asking that to DJI. I'll take my case to the California's DCA if they don't assume their responsibility for this issue and let's see what happens. I already lose 160 bucks. Can't lose nothing more. Just one more quote. This batteries, made in China, must meet the Chinese standard GB 31241-2014. The standard sets that the battery must pass a test of 500 charge-discharge cycles. Well below the life of my 3 batteries.
Those are all good points to bring up with DJI. However, the test of 500 charge-cycles is not over a two year period. It is back to back, and within the 6 month warranty period. Their legal obligation under the warranty ends at 6 months, but if you successfully plead your case, you may find a DJI manager willing to make an exception for you, especially if there are known defective batteries from certain batches that are swelling prematurely. "Can't lose nothing more." What about time and energy, that could be spent productively on enjoyment? Sometimes, it's best just to accept the rub of the green and move on. Entirely your choice, though.

I certainly wouldn’t say it is your fault. I'm sure you maintained your batteries properly. Problem is that they are now almost two years old, almost a year and a half past their warranty period. Expressing righteous indignation and threatening lawsuits at this time won't get you anywhere. Some batteries start swelling earlier than others, as they age. It's the nature of the beast. It has been an ongoing issue with Mavic 2 batteries, and certainly isn't limited to them. DJI's early battery algorithms were not as aggressive at discharging stored batteries as the current ones. When you are an early adopter, these problems are more prevalent. Later in the manufacturing lifecycle, tweaks and improvements are made that prolong battery life, and some battery batches are just more prone to early swelling, or it may be that everyone's Mini 2 batteries will start swelling as they get closer to 2 years old. Hard to tell. Either way, you still need new batteries.

My recommendation would be to escalate your case within DJI and plead your case to a sympathetic person in upper management, instead of the low level techs, who only have authority to say no or a 10% discount. Point out that these were bought very early in the lifecycle and are swelling prematurely, despite being properly maintained. I was successful in getting a couple of swollen Mavic 2 batteries replaced that way. However, it was not a demand. It was a well reasoned plea for help, made to someone within DJI who had the authority to say yes. Try that instead.

If that also fails, these are cheap batteries. How much time and energy do you want to invest to save $200 at best? Many Inspire owners had similar issues with multiple $450 batteries with no success. Just be realistic, and get on with enjoying the drone's capabilities. Don't let bad customer service deprive you of that.
Thanks for your advise. I'm trying to reach somebody at DJI beyond the first responder. I've been very polite and my arguments (I guess) very solid to demonstrate that disregarding the time, there is a manufacture vice on this set of batteries.
The DCA is the last resource.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for your advise. I'm trying to reach somebody at DJI beyond the first responder. I've been very polite and my arguments (I guess) very solid to demonstrate that disregarding the time, there is a manufacture vice on this set of batteries.
The DCA is the last resource.
Just be persistent in the escalation until you reach someone who actually can say yes. Getting the right person is more important than the argument for replacement. Make sure the person you finally reach actually has the authority to authorize a replacement, if they are persuaded it is warranted. Good luck!

FYI: CA Department of Consumer affairs will be of no help here. DJI clearly states their battery warranties are only 6 months. They are on solid legal ground. This will be a discretionary replacement by DJI for good will, but is not a legal obligation, should they decide to replace them free of charge.

Yes. 11, 9, 9, and 8.

I don't actually think it's an important metric at this point though.
Indeed. It isn't the number of cycles at this point. It is the age of the batteries. Almost 2 years, when the warranty is only 6 months. Number of cycles is irrelevant. Could be 1 or 200. Same result. Batteries are swelling due to age. If you didn't use them much, it's hard to blame that on the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, DJI batteries are junk and this happens all the time. I lost my platinum because a swollen battery came off in flight. We have no control of the storage temperature. I live in the Philippines, where it's usally around 90f. DJI has had years to fix their battery problem and they haven't. Good luck.

Well, if you feel comfortable with the fact that your high technology expensive batteries fail after only 30 charges in 20 months and after some reasearch you find out that there are several cases, even with newer batteries, it's ok. For me that's a manufacturer issue that affects not the customers pocket only but a safety issue that deserves a malfunction warning recall. I have tenths of devices using lithium batteries (phones, tablets, laptops, etc) and believe me, no one have had problem after 30 charge cicles. For me, this is a rip off.

The batteries were not exposed at high temperatures, never left in an overheated car, always landed at least when the low battery warning (20 percent). Never left to discharge completely, always charged the day before of the use. The drone has flown 100 times as much. 30 charges in average each battery. Can you imagine your cellphone, ipad, laptop, whatever device powered with lithium ion batteries failing after 30 charge cicles? I would say that's a ripoff. And all them at the same time? DJI know this problem. Obviously, they bet the customer don't realize the battery is swelling until past the warranty period. Regards.
They're not lithium iron batteries, ....

off
Just charge the batteries with a lower current.
A simple charger from a phone with an output current of 2A works just fine.
Charging time increases, but battery does not heat up.

DJI batteries are junk and this happens all the time
Some statistical information for your statement would be helpful. The percentages for what you claim are in reality more likely somewhat small. Mass production of any product will have some form of failure related issues.

It's well known in the RC airplane community that Li-po batteries are fairly unreliable. Not many flyers would get more than 12 months out of a battery using only 50% of power output. Li-on are ultra-reliable compared to Li-po, but have nowhere near the power output. Personally, I don't see why DJI cannot go back to Li-on batteries, which now have up to a 10c rating. You don't really need 30c or higher in a DJI drone, especially the Mini's .... as I have stated before, the Mini 2 flies great on the Mini Li-on battery, with only about a 10% drop in range, and no noticeable loss of power ...

I'm not near my drone at the moment to check the batteries... but,

Does the DJI Mini 2 battery contain a "batch number" on it , somewhere ?
So others can post their battery(ies) "batch/serial number" to see if its consistent with a certain "batch #" of "faulty battery(ies) ".

Reactions: Tufargon
No problem. I'm posting here because after researching, this is a recurrent defect of this batteries and many customers are being affected. I'm not posting to discuss with anybody. It's pretty simple. This manufacture, design or whatever problem that causes the battery swells affects to every single customer. DJI knows it (have you realized how many battery firmware updates have them released). So, if I can do something to make DJI assumes it's responsibility, I will.
By the way, do you own a mini 2? Since when? How many times have you charged your batteries? Just curious.
No, it is not a recurrent defect.

No, it is not a recurrent defect.
That matches my experience personally and with my employer’s fleet.

Totals:
5 Mini 2 batteries
5 Mavic Air 2s
12 Mavic 2
8 Inspire 2
4 Ronin 4D (uses same TB50 and charger as Inspire 2)

Out of all those 34 DJI batteries we’ve lost one Inspire 2 battery in the last 5 years or so. And yes, that was early on and probably was a manufacturing defect.

Of them all, the Mavic 2 have been cycled the most, we haven’t (yet) lost any.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato