DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI 2 CRASH AND BURN SOON AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE - TOTAL LOSS - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to wonder if the recent update has caused an over-sensitivity to low battery levels, that in turn causes erratic or non-existent flight control response...
Not likely ... FC's usually either have enough voltage & works or doesn't have enough voltage ... & shuts down together with the rest of the electronics.

Furthermore the battery cell voltage was on a enough level just before the incident starts off ... then the rapid ascend & flyaway causes a voltage drop due to that the motors rev up.

Marker where the incident starts...

1648480546506.png

Not likely ... FC's usually either have enough voltage & works or doesn't have enough voltage ... & shuts down together with the rest of the electronics.

Furthermore the battery cell voltage was on a enough level just before the incident starts off ... then the rapid ascend & flyaway causes a voltage drop due to that the motors rev up.

Marker where the incident starts...

View attachment 145918
OK, that makes sense.

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because I haven't spent any time yet to figure out how to read the logs. Is there an app/program that I can install on my Windows 10 PC to do that, rather than having to ship the logs over the internet? That would help a great deal.

Thx,

TCS

Thanks all for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. Anyone know offhand the Mini 2 factory warranty? I purchased this one 194 days ago.

Aside from the malfunction, I'd invest in getting your 107. Not sure if you are aware that flying over moving cars (not referring to the crash) is a no-no. Aside from that, I'd call DJI. Definitely a hardware malfunction from what I've read.
Why would he get a107 this was a malfunction. It was not his fault!
Most of us know we are not to fly over cars or people . As the op said he was flying in the back yard the malfunction made it fly over the house and over the street.
Not his fault.

...haven't spent any time yet to figure out how to read the logs. Is there an app/program that I can install on my Windows 10 PC to do that, rather than having to ship the logs over the internet?
It is ... sort of at least.

In order to read TXT logs (telemetry) below 3 programs can be used ...

CSVView (Free)
FRAP (Free)
FlightReader (Not free)

The 2 first require that TXT logs generated by the DJI Fly app from v1.2.2 goes up online to be decrypted ... either to Phantomhelp.com or to Airdata.com, then their .CSV file format of the log needs to be downloaded & used in the programs. The last, FlightReader can decrypt the logs off line.

If you want to look at DAT logs (motor data + raw sensor data & most of the telemetry) ... only CSVView can be used of the three. Unfortunately nearly all DAT logs stored in the mobile device for the newer DJI crafts are encrypted ... so neither of the programs can read them.

Both the TXT & DAT log coming from crafts operated with the GO4 app can be decrypted & read ... so all crafts from & older than Mavic Air 1 is straight forward & can be handled totally off line.

On top of this neither of these programs are like ... "feed in the log & out comes the verdict", you need to have the ability to pinpoint & pick the data in the "haystack" of data that deviates from the normal & that can lead you to a root cause for a incident ... knowledge about how DJI crafts work firmware wise in certain situations are also required.

Reactions: sar104
...Most of us know we are not to fly over cars or people . As the op said he was flying in the back yard the malfunction made it fly over the house and over the street.
Not his fault.
Did you look at the video in post #1 ?

He flew over at least 9 streets with traffic before returning to the take-off location where the incident started...

Reactions: Torque and Beet

CSVView (Free)
FRAP (Free)
FlightReader (Not free)

The 2 first require that TXT logs generated by the DJI Fly app from v1.2.2 goes up online to be decrypted ... either to Phantomhelp.com or to Airdata.com, then their .CSV file format of the log needs to be downloaded & used in the programs. The last, FlightReader can decrypt the logs off line.

If you want to look at DAT logs (motor data + raw sensor data & most of the telemetry) ... only CSVView can be used of the three. Unfortunately nearly all DAT logs stored in the mobile device for the newer DJI crafts are encrypted ... so neither of the programs can read them.

Both the TXT & DAT log coming from crafts operated with the GO4 app can be decrypted & read ... so all crafts from & older than Mavic Air 1 is straight forward & can be handled totally off line.

On top of this neither of these programs are like ... "feed in the log & out comes the verdict", you need to have the ability to pinpoint & pick the data in the "haystack" of data that deviates from the normal & that can lead you to a root cause for a incident ... knowledge about how DJI crafts work firmware wise in certain situations are also required.
Awesome, thanks!

99 bucks for FlightReader. That's probably the way I'll want to go, but not today.

Today, I'm playing with my new Starlink system, which I just got set-up today!

:)

TCS

Reactions: zeusfl

CSVView (Free)
FRAP (Free)
FlightReader (Not free)

thanks for this info slup.
would you have a preference as to which would be an easy start to deciphering the info. In other words, which is easiest for a computer illiterate guy.

...which is easiest for a computer illiterate guy.
In that case I would say ... none of them. All 3 will require knowledge about what to look for, nothing is served on a plate.

In your case I would go for uploading the log to either a free Airdata.com account... or to Phantomhelp.com. Uploading on line for this shouldn't be anything worse than posting in forums like this, updating your Facebook status or share photos with Instagram... no one is scanning the WWW for your logs, especially if you keep the flights reasonably within the regulations.

Both these sites will highlight some abnormalities if they occur ... & are easier to grasp. If this with logs sparks a deeper interest over time you can always try out other analyze tools later.

So sorry for your loss - we have a few Mini 2's around the shop and we have a blast with them, hundreds and hundreds of flights and never a problem. I would rule out the GPS warnings the machine flew perfect until you reached your landing location. You either experienced and motor/prop failure or just a good old glitch and lockup. Bottom line I don't think its a mechanical problem because after it went nuts, it smoothed out nicely until iy tried to fly inverted!

That's one of the reasons once a drone is flying good I'll never upgrade it.

Fly Safe -Mike

You either experienced and motor/prop failure or just a good old glitch and lockup.
No need for guessing, the data has been analysed and the incident explained already.

Meta 4 - Ok thanks - next time I'll check with you before making a reply!

While analyzed flight data is fine, it's no more accurate that the processor that crashed the machine to begin with and often does not explain real world incidents!

Fly Safe Mike

Meta 4 - Ok thanks - next time I'll check with you before making a reply!
Or you could just read the whole thread where it's already been explained twice that the incident was not caused by a prop or motor failure.

While analyzed flight data is fine, it's no more accurate that the processor that crashed the machine to begin with and often does not explain real world incidents!
Then you don't/can't read flight data and don't understand what it can and can't show.
Even when there is a fault in one component giving false data (like this incident) the flight data is still very helpful - way beyond making blind guesses

Reactions: Torque
Meta 4 Thanks for the reply - however I was designing and building military drones with telemetry data and GCS support, long before you even knew what a toy drone was!

Anyone can read automated flight data and does not have to be a genius to know it has flaws and no more reliable than the processor which brought the machine down - Study Up!

Fly Safe - Mike

• Haha
Meta 4 Thanks for the reply - however I was designing and building military drones with telemetry data and GCS support, long before you even knew what a toy drone was!
Fascinating, but irrelevant
Anyone can read automated flight data
Not exactly anyone ... but you didn't read the flight data which would have shown you what happened.
And rather than read the posts that explained what the data shows quite clearly, you just made a guess that was not only wrong, why it was wrong had been explained already .. twice!
and does not have to be a genius to know it has flaws and no more reliable than the processor which brought the machine down -
Anyone that can read flight data understands that's pure bunk.
You clearly had no idea what happened or how to find out.
Study Up!
Huh ??
Trying to defend an incorrect guess against data analysis, isn't a good way to big note yourself.

Meta 4 Thanks for the reply - I took the liberty to quote a number of your replies below to confirm the data on this drone has you both confused and guessing with regard to the drones doomed flight. For this reason, I advised you that saved data is no more accurate than the processor itself which caused the crash . . .

In conclusion, you should always respect the thoughts of other pilots, expecially when your euvaluting data which seems to have you confused and uncertain.

Thanks - Mike
www.rotory.com

Meta 4 Comments:

That doesn't account for the altitude data being unbelievable

There's a motor error at 4:19 just a few seconds after the altitude data becomes unreliable.

A failed motor would be easily seen in the pitch, roll and yaw data if that was what happened, but the data doesn't support that.

There's a problem matching the drone's flight to your description of the incident.

But after that the altitude data doesn't make any sense.

I can only guess that there was a malfunction of the altitude sensor

Last edited:
  • Haha
Meta 4 Thanks for the reply - I took the liberty to quote a number of your replies below to confirm the data on this drone has you both confused and guessing with regard to the drones doomed flight. For this reason, I advised you that saved data is no more accurate than the processor itself which caused the crash . . .
Thankyou Mike for trying to help.
Despite your vast experience, you seem to be far out of your depth on this one.
You haven't (maybe can't) read the flight data and your flailing attempts at trolling are only making you appear less credible.
Anyone who could read that flight should have no trouble seeing what happened in that incident.
Two data readers have independently come up with the same explanation.

My reference to a guess, was to fill in the blanks when almost all of the data was confirmed to be reliable but the altitude data was obviously not.
The motor error was most likely a result of the flight controller trying to match falling altitude (false data from a malfunctioning sensor) with other parameters that were being reported accurately.
There's no problem with the position, speed, pitch, roll and yaw data, which clearly show the drone in stable, controlled flight, even though the altitude data indicates the drone falling 1500 feet below ground level.
This data is coming from several independent sensors.
Failure of one doesn't automatically mean all data is unreliable.
And to anyone who can read the data, it's obvious that the data with the exception of the altitude data is reliable.
In conclusion, you should always respect the thoughts of other pilots, expecially when your euvaluting data which seems to have you confused and uncertain.
What you've offered has no merit, and has have been met with the respect it deserves.
I'd suggest that you should respect the evaluation from flyers that can and do read the flight data.
But you clearly aren't a guy that takes advice from anyone.

If you want to help further ... don't.

Last edited:
I'd recommend to the OP to remove the video from YouTube. It's evidence of multiple violations of FAA regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78