DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 (just appeared on FCC's site)

Well great, now I won’t never be able to sell this Mini and get nothing out of it to get a Air2 ?
Sure was hoping to see a 3 next. Oh well ?‍♂️
Don't worry, there are still plenty of Mavic Pros and Mavic Air 1s bought and sold, besides, the new one might be heavier than 250G so there will still be people wanting to save that $5...:rolleyes:

- It will use occusync an be compatible with SC.
-The props will be updated so that the thrust problems are resolved.
-A bit more wind tolerance as well.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Well, it seems the Mini has become extremely popular and one of the best selling DJI drones, despite the big uproar about it not having 4K, raw, etc. Even myself have "roared" for those omissions!
But seemingly, the fact that it's less than 250g don't requiring registration and being free from certain regulations in other countries, have contributed to its big popularity and demand, because many people feel less scared of having a drone that doesn't require registration.
However, apparently it's not possible to "add" 4K just with a firmware update to the current Mini, it'll need better/more powerful hardware to do 4K. So the only way to do it is by releasing a Mini 2 with upgraded hardware chipset capable of handling 4K.
I suppose DJI has been aware of the strong worldwide desire (not to say pressure) to have a sub 250g Mini capable of 4K video and some more features. Currently there's NO other sub-250g drone in existence capable of true 4K video with also a 3-axis gimbal. And the bunch of cheap -250g drones recently appearing claiming to have a "4K camera".. none of them actually capture true 4K video! Their "4K" means they only take 4K resolution still photos, NOT video, they only do 1080 video!
Therefore, DJI knows that releasing a new sub-250g Mini with 4K (and maybe RAW and a bit more features) will be a HUGE success and a really big hit! That's why, in my opinion, it seems so important for DJI to release sooner than later an improved Mini 2 with the so-much-requested features like 4K, RAW, etc. I hope it will have all of them!

The Ambarella processor on the current Mavic Mini is more than enough to handle 4k footage. It is more of a problem with the processor overheating due to the mini having no internal fans to cool itself.

I don’t know, I saw a familiar looking body in the background of one thread that closed that looked very much looked like a P5 to me. But hey that’s me, YMMV. PHANTOM 5!!!!!!!!!!!, LOL. I know I’m gonna get centered for this post but I had to share some positive thoughts and excitement. Love ya, mean it!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: MMPerrish
The Ambarella processor on the current Mavic Mini is more than enough to handle 4k footage. It is more of a problem with the processor overheating due to the mini having no internal fans to cool itself.

I remember reading that explanation somewhere, shortly after the Mini was released, somebody wrote that DJI explained the reason for the Mini not having 4K was the overheating issue, and that it was not possible for them to add a cooling fan without increasing the weight to more than 250g.
However, some people were not convinced with such reason to omit 4K, a member here mentioned in a thread that basically all small & lightweight action cameras, even DJI's own Osmo, and pretty much all our smartphones can capture 4K without needing a cooling fan, and they don't overheat. So let's see what happens with the Mini 2, if it does 4K and keeps the weight under 250g at the same time, overcoming the technical limitation regarding the overheating issue.

It’s not the need for registration but the weight which is the more important factor. The new rules which come into force in Europe at the end of the year are less restrictive to drones which weigh under 250g. It would be great if they could significantly upgrade the Mini whilst still keeping the weight under 250g, but I can’t help thinking that this is unlikely.

No matter how they upgrade the Mini, I can't see them being able to do much about the inherent physics of a sub-250g drone with regards to high winds. That's the main reason that I chose the Air 2 for my first drone. That and the lack of occusynch 2.0.

Reactions: Icarus2
No matter how they upgrade the Mini, I can't see them being able to do much about the inherent physics of a sub-250g drone with regards to high winds. That's the main reason that I chose the Air 2 for my first drone. That and the lack of occusynch 2.0.

I’m sure that there would probably be more days when I could fly a MA2 but, even then, I would probably still prefer to wait for days which weren’t as windy. OcuSync is undoubtedly a great feature but I haven’t yet run out of signal range with my Mini before I’ve lost sight of it so not an issue for me.

My guess is DJI hit a home run with the Mini and will add enough to keep the magic going for awhile longer.
I'll be curious to see if they add Active Track. I don't have any interest in that myself, but I suspect the lack of that is likely costing them as many or more sales than the lack of 4K video. It'll also be interesting to see if they still think that waypoints support is too advanced a feature to put on a cheap drone.

Well great, now I won’t never be able to sell this Mini and get nothing out of it to get a Air2 ?
Sure was hoping to see a 3 next. Oh well ?‍♂️

Yep, and I have an MA1. Finally just kept it and got the MA2 (which is SUPER!Thumbswayup).
But that's the way it goes, first your money and then your clothes.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Gary R and dirkclod
Maybe they fixed the wind issue I would never buy that thing for that reason

Well, it seems the Mini has become extremely popular and one of the best selling DJI drones, despite the big uproar about it not having 4K, raw, etc. Even myself have "roared" for those omissions!
But seemingly, the fact that it's less than 250g don't requiring registration and being free from certain regulations in other countries, have contributed to its big popularity and demand, because many people feel less scared of having a drone that doesn't require registration.
However, apparently it's not possible to "add" 4K just with a firmware update to the current Mini, it'll need better/more powerful hardware to do 4K. So the only way to do it is by releasing a Mini 2 with upgraded hardware chipset capable of handling 4K.
I suppose DJI has been aware of the strong worldwide desire (not to say pressure) to have a sub 250g Mini capable of 4K video and some more features. Currently there's NO other sub-250g drone in existence capable of true 4K video with also a 3-axis gimbal. And the bunch of cheap -250g drones recently appearing claiming to have a "4K camera".. none of them actually capture true 4K video! Their "4K" means they only take 4K resolution still photos, NOT video, they only do 1080 video!
Therefore, DJI knows that releasing a new sub-250g Mini with 4K (and maybe RAW and a bit more features) will be a HUGE success and a really big hit! That's why, in my opinion, it seems so important for DJI to release sooner than later an improved Mini 2 with the so-much-requested features like 4K, RAW, etc. I hope it will have all of them!
My
Wondering whether it will retain its current sub registration weight. If it doesn't then hopefully there will be additional features besides an upgrade to 4K to be included in the MM2. I'd love it to have occusync, follow me, and front/side obstacle avoidance.
Is this what the upcoming DJI product launch on October 14th will preview and debut?
Really don’t care about our registration as long as I fly right. Most important to me is wanting mini to be able to shoot raw and be able to see still photos on IPhone right after shooting it without having to download the files to see them. Why can’t DJI just let you view the low res version pictures like the low resolution videos. That way you can get a good idea if the shot was good or another is required.

Honestly the main thing I want is a top mounted controller a la the MA2. Those few degrees of not having to tilt your head makes a huge difference!! Long shot on that one I know, but It’d be cool to see a cheaper version of it for the mini. No reason why they can’t put the phone mount on top.

I’d like HDR photo and video as well as pano. Seeing as to how this is geared more towards amateurs, give them the ability to have great shots straight from the drone considering many don’t edit in post. Reddit is filled with people manually making HDR Mini pano’s in Lightroom. Make it easier on us DJI!

Last edited:
Reactions: Emanáku
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga