DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini fly away

Ajin ghosh

Reactions
Today I lost my mavic mini due to fly away because of heavy wind at the height of 450 meters. So is there any way to get the exact location of mavic mini with the help of gps?

Thanks in advance

If you post the flight log then it may be possible (depending on a number of factors) to estimate where it ended up.
Attached flight record

I hope this is the file you are asking, if not - kindly let me know

Thank you

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-21_[13-27-34].txt
    743.2 KB · Views: 73
Can I ask why you went so high and why, as I understand the logs, you kept it climbing whilst it seems to have been being blown away (moving away from home point with no pitch or roll stick movement)?

It seems to be in Return mode but with the wind taking it away from home climbing higher would take it into stronger winds. I expect @sar104 to have a reasonable forecast for where it would have been when it ran out of battery and went into forced landing mode. But from that height it's going to take about 3 minutes to descend through variable strength winds, so the margin of error for where it landed is going be big.

Reactions: Cw4bray
Strange to be so high, the legal height is 400ft in India

Last edited:
Attached flight record
The wind up high can be much stronger than what you feel on the ground.
From 6:04.4 you left the Mini hovering at an altitude of 1633 feet.
Hovering without any joystick input, your Mini could not maintain position and was being blown away at 4 metres/sec.
In RTH with the Mini tilting hard to fly at full normal speed, it was still being blown backwards at 4 metres/sec.
We know the last point where the drone's location was recorded but that is not where it will have come down.

When signal was lost, the Mini's battery was at 55% and using about 1% each 9 seconds.
It will have continued being blown further away for approximately 6.75 minutes before descending due to critically low battery level.
In that time it might have blown a further 1.6 kilometres away (that's 2.3 kilometres from the launch point).
These figures are rough and only give an approximate indication.

Today I lost my mavic mini due to fly away because of heavy wind at the height of 450 meters. So is there any way to get the exact location of mavic mini with the help of gps?

Thanks in advance

sorry Brother but for someone on a Drone forum and based upon the data you have provided - This is just a reckless action and nearly expected - 450m? The law is 400ft! And 50ft for the Mini -You’re giving Drone pilots a bad name - That drone could have ended up anywhere and worse landed on someone - A dead 250g drone dropping from 450 metres could do some serious damage - in answer to your question - read the Drone Code and comply - And fly responsibly

Attached flight record

I hope this is the file you are asking, if not - kindly let me know

Thank you

This one has a chance because the wind was very consistent - I'll explain later:

Battery.png

grab129.jpg

This amazes me ! You're taking dead reckoning mechanics to a whole new level. Maybe a bit optimistic depending on vegetation factors. If our society was a caste hierarchy you sir, would be appointed king, master navigator and top dog.

EDIT,
Ha ha ha !! Yes all of the above. No there was absolutely no sarcasm implied. Actually, it was meant for sar104 he's truly a rock star/rocket scientist.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
?Why Sir - I will accept this temporary appointment but only on the condition that you make your opinion on this issue clear - Do you side on my opinion? Or are you supporting the The Drone renegade to whom this reckless action is attributed and only being a little sarcastic ?

OMG Mini @1500’? Only had my mini to 400’ a few (calm) times, leaving that realm to my Phantoms.
Do you think that Mini was outta sight? Just a little past VLOS. IF you recover it, hope lesson learned. Read manual and observe laws, please. For everyone’s sake. ?sar104
Good luck, I think.

Another one. Wind and mini doesn’t do well.
Oh well, live and learn.
Hopefully it’s found.
It is not so much "you need still air to fly the mini". (Although the lower the top speed, the lower wind speed you can fly in).
It's more a case of "go up 1,500 feet and you had better plan for the winds at that height". It looks like if the drone had been put into S mode it might have been possible to fly it home. If it had come down to a sensible height it should have been possible to fly home. And if all else fails, forcing a landing with a decent amount of battery for the drone to tell you where it is, gives you a chance of getting it back. Finding a shut-down drone in the area on the map above. Almost no chance I'd say

It is not so much "you need still air to fly the mini". (Although the lower the top speed, the lower wind speed you can fly in).
It's more a case of "go up 1,500 feet and you had better plan for the winds at that height". It looks like if the drone had been put into S mode it might have been possible to fly it home. If it had come down to a sensible height it should have been possible to fly home. And if all else fails, forcing a landing with a decent amount of battery for the drone to tell you where it is, gives you a chance of getting it back. Finding a shut-down drone in the area on the map above. Almost no chance I'd say

The wind speed was within sport mode capability below 200 m or so.

Some people don't use their common sense ! The limit to fly a drone is 122 meters. What were you doing at that height ?? If the wind is blowing 10 mph at ground level that means it is blowing 50 mph at 450 meters !! you deserve NO HELP for being that stupid :mad: ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman