DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini. Lift off then goes crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Smith

Reactions
Hi, guys Apologies if I have posted this a second time. I went to fly my Mavic mini today. Started by the usual pulling back on both of the sticks back and then to the outside. Props started running in the usual slow mode. I then proceeded to take off. But instead of the usual hovering when I let the sticks go to centre. It flew fast in reverse. And crashed into my house. On picking it up, I noticed that the gimbal was oscillating like crazy until I turned the drone off. I checked everything on the handset that I could. But could not see anything wrong. Any ideas. Please help. Dave

Just some thoughts to be cleared out first ...

You have read through the manual ... gone back, re-read it & understood what's read ... to your knowledge anyway?
You have updated every SW to the latest (DJI Fly app + drone + batteries + RC)?
You have calibrated everything according to the manual (IMU, Compass, VPS) after you unpacked it?
You waited until you had at least 10 satellites locked, the lady voice confirmed that the HP had been recorded before launch?
You didn't launch from a magnetic interfered area (from a metal table, from reinforced concrete or near something big in metal like a car or a shed)?
Did you obeyed a message to calibrate your compass shortly before you launched?
Did you thoroughly inspect props & drone after the mishaps indoors (as you desribed in your last thread), any chips, cracks in the props, arms?
You didn't launch in strong winds (max for the Mini is 8m/s)?
You tried different launch spots?

If nothing obvious found so far ... then proceed to uploading your flight logs.

How : --> Flight log analysis guide

Once the log files for the flight is retrieved upload them here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & post a link here in the thread.

It's a lot of log gurus here at the forum ... they will hopefully pick your flight apart & come up with a conclusion ...

Hi, guys Apologies if I have posted this a second time. I went to fly my Mavic mini today. Started by the usual pulling back on both of the sticks back and then to the outside. Props started running in the usual slow mode. I then proceeded to take off. But instead of the usual hovering when I let the sticks go to centre. It flew fast in reverse. And crashed into my house. On picking it up, I noticed that the gimbal was oscillating like crazy until I turned the drone off. I checked everything on the handset that I could. But could not see anything wrong. Any ideas. Please help. Dave

Can you describe the surface that you launched from?

As a tip, calibrate your drone every 10-15 flights or when you notice something abnormal during the flight.

the bad thing about the mavic mini is that you don't know how much magnetism the compass is being affected

Hi. It was my block paving drive. Roughly 20ft away from house and car. Anyway the good news I sorted it now. Here is what I did. I fired it up on what could be called 'Tick over' mode. And left it running like that until it ran out of battery. Which must have been 2.5 hours. I then took the battery out as it was quite warm. obviously this did the drone or battery no harm. I then reloaded the battery and charged it up. Once again I let the battery cool down before I placed it back in the drone. Then went on to Turn on the controller. Next to the mini.
Done the usual with the sticks. Held my breath. Fired up ok. Then very pensively pushed the left stick forward slightly. It lifted off straight up to about one meter above the floor. I went on to fly a bit higher. it responded perfectly. And proceeded to fly it slowly around the room. Hoping for calm conditions tomorrow morning. When I hope all is really sorted. As people feel they have to point out that. "This is not meant as a Tutorial. Its the way I did it"
Thanks for your help guys. From one very happy bunny..................Dave

Those actions didn't fix the problem - something else changed. On that first flight, did you power up the aircraft on the ground where it took off, or did you power it up and then place it there?

Your block paving drive almost certainly contacts ferrous metal reinforcement materials.

Your opinion mate. And you are entitled to it.
However. I powered it up on the drive where it was to take off from. Did nothing else.

No - it's not just my opinion, but no problem if you are not interested in figuring it out.

Reactions: RickinWaST
... I sorted it now ... left it running like that until it ran out of battery...reloaded the battery and charged it up...proceeded to fly it slowly around the room...one very happy bunny

So you think you fixed a drone moving fast in reverse into your house wall without stick inputs ... by recharging the battery ..? :oops:

Sorry my friend but that isn't the cure (& it's not an opinion, just plain facts) ... if you doesn't stop now, learn & understand what actually happened it's only a matter of time until you are a very unhappy bunny.

It obviously is your opinion. Otherwise, why would "YOU" post up "Your" reply.

That sentence makes no sense.
Why do I need to figure it out cocky sod? It's working. Therefore I have obviously unknowingly figured it out FFS

Well you might want to figure it out because if it happened once then it is quite likely to happen again. The common cause of that particular flight problem is an incorrectly initialized IMU yaw value, due to magnetic interference at power up. I've inspected hundreds of flight logs showing that mechanism. The second most common cause, although far less common, is lack of a GNSS position lock on take off.

However, given your attitude, I certainly won't be helping you further. And you might want to tone down the personal insults - they are not tolerated on this forum.

Being the OP has deleted several post I see no reason for this to carry on. The name calling has been addressed Sar. We will just consider this thread done.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw