Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matto1981

Reactions
I just picked up my MM today.

I have to admit that the Mini feels pretty cheap. The plastic is pretty thin. I get that they needed to shed weight etc, but it defenatly does not feel like a $400 dollar drone. I'd almost be worried about tears or cracks developing in certain areas due to wear and use. I cant give any feed back on flying as everything is still charging. I just wanted to get other thoughts from people who have the Mini now who did not get free Minis from DJI.

That aspect of this product was mentioned in several reviews.
I’m not surprised you have that thought.

I have to admit that the Mini feels pretty cheap. The plastic is pretty thin. I get that they needed to shed weight etc, but it definitely does not feel like a $400 dollar drone. I'd almost be worried about tears or cracks developing in certain areas due to wear and use. I cant give any feed back on flying as everything is still charging. I just wanted to get other thoughts from people who have the Mini now who did not get free Minis from DJI.

I recognized it immediately that because of its size and weight , its looks and feels like a toy and might not go over well with clients .

We will be releasing the Mavic Mini Wet Suits once we have fully tested them out.. Tomorrow may be the day.

The Wet Suits will change not only the appearance of the Drone but also the tone ,.

The Mini Mavic Wet Suits make the Mini Drone look much more like a tool rather than a toy.

If you have both the Mavic 2 wet suit and the Mavic Mini Wet Suit , they will complement each other if being used in a commercial environment.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Interested email me at [email protected]
Coal

Will the wet suits take it to 250 grams?

its going to be 0.05 ounces heavier but thats ok as its made for those who our going to make money with it and not so much those flying it in the bedroom closet. loll

Last edited:
The Wet Suits will change not only the appearance of the Drone but also the tone ,.

The Mini Mavic Wet Suits make the Mini Drone look much more like a tool rather than a toy.
Not sure why you need gods help for such a simple question. The reason I asked is because you were quick to point out the changes of the drone but neglected this small change in weight (that seems important).

I'm not knocking your product . . . I didn't know the weight of you product. I'm buying one to fly (outside the closet) and do not want to exceed the 249 grams.

Not sure why you need gods help for such a simple question. The reason I asked is because you were quick to point out the changes of the drone but neglected this small change in weight (that seems important).

I'm not knocking your product . . . I didn't know the weight of you product. I'm buying one to fly (outside the closet) and do not want to exceed the 249 grams.

Sorry about that i edited it, I just meant that it was a struggle making the wet suit to be compressed to such a light weight and still have all aspects of the drone function and move correctly..

Each part of Wet Suit had to have a separate thickness , a lot of work for something so small. I had just finished the engineering aspect and was caught in the moment of exhaustion. Sorry about that , thus the comment " . "

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001

I have to admit that the Mini feels pretty cheap. The plastic is pretty thin. I get that they needed to shed weight etc, but it defenatly does not feel like a $400 dollar drone. I'd almost be worried about tears or cracks developing in certain areas due to wear and use. I cant give any feed back on flying as everything is still charging. I just wanted to get other thoughts from people who have the Mini now who did not get free Minis from DJI.

You get what you pay for. It’s a toy!

That’s what they said about the air it’s not a Mavic it’s a toy.
The same things are being said about the mini that they said about the air.

Reactions: old man mavic
in comparison to a full size mavic ,yes to a point you could use the term (toy drone) but compared to many many of the so called toy drones that are now available to purchase it has much more going for it
because it is so light ,the fact that there is a degree of flex is a good thing as it absorbs some of the impact if it crashes,where a very stiff material would most likely snap,crack, upon impact, it is such a departure from what we as dji users have come to expect, that i think it has caught a lot of users by surprise

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I was a little concerned when reading these posts but having picked mine up today my initial finding is it’s not so flimsy after all.Ok,as previously stated it’s not as robust as it’s siblings but pressing on the shell only gives slight movement.If you take a let you can twist it in a rolling movement but you can’t bend it back to front.I have done the updates and had the props turning.No flights yet but I’m happy so far.?

I can now also admit that it flies like a Mavic. Flimsy plastic aside, it flies really well and doesnt feel much different in the air then my Mavic 2 Zoom did!

Its a sweet little drone for sure.
at last someone having something positive to say about it for a change

So much negativity been shown to this new drone don’t no why really, if you have something different and probably more expensive why keep knocking people who have bought this drone.
I think I’ve read enough tonight on here, I’m of to play with my train set for half hour before bed. [emoji6]

So much negativity been shown to this new drone don’t no why really, if you have something different and probably more expensive why keep knocking people who have bought this drone.
I think I’ve read enough tonight on here, I’m of to play with my train set for half hour before bed. [emoji6]
i agree and thats why i said what i said in my post #14

So much negativity been shown to this new drone don’t no why really

It's probably like most DJI products (and other new things), there is little info about it leading up to release.
Possibly part of the marketing too as it gets people talking about the product.
Any news / talk, is good news / talk, look at the threads here on MavicPilots alone.

There are still lots of unknowns, why I'll wait now.
It could be the sub 250g makes it a great travel drone, but if it needs cellular connection to use Fly, then that makes it complex again.

Other issues can be got by easy enough or with some adaptation.

Out of curiosity can anyone shed some clarity on what a $400 drone should feel like?

Weight, strength, flexibility, impact performance, UV resistance and a multitude of other considerations probably rated higher in engineering and overall design than how expensive it feels.

An aluminium part will feel more expensive than glass reinforced nylon, the later will be stronger in most applications. It is also more expensive in material cost and tooling.

Reactions: old man mavic
The one thing I found surprising is on the inside of the front arms. The inserts almost feel like a canvas material. Super lightweight. The battery door also seems like a possible weak point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000