DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC Affecting Compass on Samsung Phone

I have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung S7+ and the compass is affected on both. But this is much ado about nothing. None of the aircraft, controller or app functions are dependant on the device compass.

So if none of the functions are dependent on the device compass, what is causing the Orientation Indicator to give a wrong indication?

So if none of the functions are dependent on the device compass, what is causing the Orientation Indicator to give a wrong indication?

None of the aircraft control functions depend on the device compass, but the aircraft orientation/location display does depend on the device compass - rather obviously since it has to know in which direction the operator is facing.

That's right - most likely the magnets in the stick Hall Effect sensors.

Ahh....... sorry bout that. I though you were disagreeing with the notion that there was a problem.

We've been going round in circles with this one, and unfortunately DJI have not addressed the problem on their forum yet.

Ahh....... sorry bout that. I though you were disagreeing with the notion that there was a problem.

We've been going round in circles with this one, and unfortunately DJI have not addressed the problem on their forum yet.

It's not a DJI problem - it's a mobile device problem, depending on the location of the magnetometers in the device. It can usually be cured by flipping the device through 180°.

It's not a DJI problem - it's a mobile device problem, depending on the location of the magnetometers in the device. It can usually be cured by flipping the device through 180°.

With the key word being 'usually'.

I have tried turning the phone 180°, have tried using a phone mount - nothing has had any appreciable impact.

I have this issue with my Galaxy S10. Does this have the potential of having any other negative affects to the flight? I just want to clarify that I am OK to fly. This will not affect my home position or the mess up the drones sense of direction?

I have this issue with my Galaxy S10. Does this have the potential of having any other negative affects to the flight? I just want to clarify that I am OK to fly. This will not affect my home position or the mess up the drones sense of direction?

Correct - it has no effect on the aircraft.

Last edited:
Manx was responding to Thordar. Thordar was saying device compass doesn't affect app functions, which is not correct.

Funny that we haven't gotten this much static with the Go app and it's dynamic attitude indicator/map orientation.

Yes, I stand corrected. Did some more testing and indeed the app does use the phone compass for the orientation indicator. It sort of worked a little better after the .0300 update but I now realize still not accurately.

I also have a Mavic Pro so I tested the phones running a compass app on the MP controller and there was no effect. It's only with the MM controller that the phone compass is affected.

That said, the Go 4 app doesn't have a separate orientation indicator. It's all on the map which uses the aircraft compass and doesn't use the phone compass, just the phone GPS to show the location of the controller. I always just maximize the map to get orientation. This Fly app map works the same way.

My guess is because of the magnetic interference problem with some phones, this feature is going to be removed in a future firmware update. I don't see any way it can be fixed.

But I could be wrong! :)

Yes, I stand corrected. Did some more testing and indeed the app does use the phone compass for the orientation indicator. It sort of worked a little better after the .0300 update but I now realize still not accurately.

I also have a Mavic Pro so I tested the phones running a compass app on the MP controller and there was no effect. It's only with the MM controller that the phone compass is affected.

That said, the Go 4 app doesn't have a separate orientation indicator. It's all on the map which uses the aircraft compass and doesn't use the phone compass, just the phone GPS to show the location of the controller. I always just maximize the map to get orientation. This Fly app map works the same way.

My guess is because of the magnetic interference problem with some phones, this feature is going to be removed in a future firmware update. I don't see any way it can be fixed.

But I could be wrong! :)

I agree, the feature will need to be removed or reworked entirely as the app clearly reads incorrect aircraft position. Unfortunately this interference is apparent even when the controller is off.

Perhaps they'll use some other means.

The GO 4 app does have an orientation indicator that uses the phone compass.

IMG_C0F0CBF01D12-1.jpeg

Both the map and the attitude indicator on the Go app can orient north based on the direction you are facing and subject to the same problems as the Mini. The map can be locked north up if you prefer.
That's why I'm curious as to why all the static with the Mini, but not with other models.

Doing the figure 8 with the mobile attached might compensate for the magnetic interference from the RC.

Since doing a mobile phone compass calibration while connected to the remote, my indicator (on the hud) has gone lol.. is there a way to reenable it?

Same problem with S9+ and my Mavic Mini.

I think the best strategy would be that the app remembers the calibration offset of the magnetometer or a manual guided calibration should be initiated as soon as the phone is connected to the remote control. Flying with that indicator pointing the wrong direction doesn't really instill confidence in the beginner pilot.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
Ok..... this is all very good to know. Thank you so much for this response.

Does anyone know if this issue is peculiar to Android devices? Does this happen with ios devices?

Might be time to look for a iPhone to use with my DJI Mavic Mini and Osmo 3, as ios seems to work better with DJI products.

I am having the same problem and using a Honor 8x which is on the compatibility list from DJI, I have also tried a Xiaomi Mi Mix which also seems compatible however the aircraft orientation is always wrong on both phones. Most of the time the aircraft is shown behind me pointing in the wrong direction and to correct this I have to remove the phone from the RC. The manual clearly states you should point your RC at the aircraft using the orientation display (bottom centre) to maintain strong "WIFI" communication with the Aircraft, so I disagree that it is not important and it should be corrected by DJI. So far DJI have tried to blame GPS module in the phones!!! They are now saying I should buy another phone from the compatibility list - the list I used before buying the Honor 8x !!! I have seen it also affects iphone models as well as Android (all on the compatibility list) and DJI seem to think we can continue to buy phones until we find one that actually works making the DJI compatibility list a joke. Bottom line is DJI are avoiding this issue because the problem seems to be a design fault with the RC so a firmware update seems rather pointless, because each phone is affected differently depending on where the compass chip is situated in the phone and unfortunately most seem to be on the left of the phone which is closer to the RC. Some people have had good results by using a longer cable and turning the phone 180 degrees but distance from the RC is also required in most cases. I have spent 3 days calibrating and re calibrating the phone compass and aircraft managing only once to get correct orientation, but after take off I watched the orientation drift until the aircraft was shown as behind me in the wrong direction. If anyone has an answer to this problem it would be interesting to know - or try.

comp.jpg

May be the GPS information from Google Maps should be used for the orientation display as it always seems correct.

Last edited:
Ok..... this is all very good to know. Thank you so much for this response.

Does anyone know if this issue is peculiar to Android devices? Does this happen with ios devices?

Might be time to look for a iPhone to use with my DJI Mavic Mini and Osmo 3, as ios seems to work better with DJI products.

I have seen some recent IOS phones also have the same problem and they are also on the DJI compatible list. My gut feeling is DJI tested these phones on the bench with a long cable rather than test the phones in the RC. Which probably explains why they told me today to buy another phone from the list. It seems all the additional cost for this low entry model cost more than the Mavic Mini Combo which is not acceptable unless you are made of money.

Last edited:
I have seen some recent IOS phones also have the same problem and they are also on the DJI compatible list.

The compatibility list only relates to how well the DJI GO 4 app works on the platform - it has nothing to do with whether the device compass is affected by the magnetic field of the RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv