DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Real time orientation gauge in the app - not correctly showing orientation

I wouldn't recommend using the radar !
At least in my case, I can have the Mavic a few meters in front of me, camera pointing right at me, and yet, the radar shows the Mavic pointing away from me.
I can reduce this error, but always present:
- with antenna/myself facing the drone direction
- Mavic compass calibrated
- phone compass calibrated (Xiaomi red mi 3s)
- phone in aircraft mode

It is not sure what components within the remote are causing compass deviation. The gimbal magnets for the hall effect sensors are just one suspicion.
I'd love to hear all other reasonable suspicions, in an effort to eliminate the problem!

I'd love to hear all other reasonable suspicions, in an effort to eliminate the problem!

I checked the M2 RC quite carefully for magnetic fields, and it was pretty clear that they were coming from the stick modules. The only other thing to watch for are those magnetic micro-UCB adapters that some people use on the side port.

Reactions: Thomas B
I seem to remember I had a problem with a ipad (in a raised 3D printed mount) and it cleared up after removing the aftermarket ipad protective case. I think it was caused by the lid magnet in the cover used to turn the pad on/off.

I seem to remember I had a problem with a ipad (in a raised 3D printed mount) and it cleared up after removing the aftermarket ipad protective case. I think it was caused by the lid magnet in the cover used to turn the pad on/off.
Thanks for the suggestion. In my situation, the 9.7” iPadPro is already bare, and in Skyreat mount raised over the sticks, with a windsurfer over the vertical antennas.

I checked the M2 RC quite carefully for magnetic fields, and it was pretty clear that they were coming from the stick modules. The only other thing to watch for are those magnetic micro-UCB adapters that some people use on the side port.
Thanks for checking. No magnetic micro-USB adapters in use and the iPad is bare. Must be the stick modules.

For iOS devices you just move the device in a figure 8 and it automatically tries to calibrate.
Yes, that's what I have been doing on the 9.7” iPadPro. Oddly, though, sometimes doing so actually messes it up on the Compass app I have installed which has no calibration feature! The iPadMini forced a compass calibration every time GO4 is launched, with a red ball on a circle that you have to roll around to calibrate it like a simulated marble in a circular track. I pretend that's what I am trying to do with the iPadPro.

Try Altimeter GPS for IOS. I use an Android tablet, use the app for several minutes and make sure it finds North before connecting the quad.

For iOS devices you just move the device in a figure 8 and it automatically tries to calibrate.

Try Altimeter GPS for IOS. I use an Android tablet, use the app for several minutes and make sure it finds North before connecting the quad.

None of these apps actually calibrate the compass in an iOS device - they just receive compass data.

None of these apps actually calibrate the compass in an iOS device - they just receive compass data.
That's been my experience as well. I carry a regular compass with me in my kit to verify whether they are reporting correctly, including GO 4, with the map set to North up, compared to the landmarks in front of me, when facing north with the regular compass.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
I use an old pixel 3xl with my mini and noticed on the last flight the map was just blank. There are no updates to be had for the app or the drone and it worked with my spark and when I first got the mini.....

Using an S7 Edge and the compass shows the MM behind me no matter how far in front it actually is.

Mavic Mini RC Device Compass Interferrence
MM Compass Issues
Many owners of the Mavic Mini have problems with the 'Aircraft Orientation Display' on the bottom of the DJI FLY App screen.
The Mavic Mini RC has a 18650 battery directly under the top-cover, the AC (flight) batteries have two of these.
Also the buzzer, which has a strong permanent magnet, is mounted under the mainboard directly under the right youstick.
It's this buzzer, the 18650 RC-battery and the 4 clamping hinges (2 on each side) that cause these issues.
You can check this by moving a physical compass (or compass-app) directly over a flight (AC) battery and/or the RC.
Flat LiPo batteries do NOT interfere with a compass.
Most devices have their build-in compass on the top of the device and the USB connector on the bottom, this means the top of the mounted device (where the compass is) is located near the buzzer in the RC.
The Mavic Pro RC-buzzer is mounted under the mainboard under the Left joystick, the battery is a flat 1S LiPo.
The Mavic Air RC-buzzer is mounted under the mainboard under the Right joystick, the battery is a flat 1S LiPo.

Calibrate the device-compass while mounted in the RC.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I was one of the early reporters of this issue - thats my video in the above post.

Believe me, I tried everything with my Samsung S9+. Calibrating phones compass; calibrating phones compass while in the RC holder; using extended phone holder; long cables; short cables; having my phones home button on the left side; on the right side......... nothing worked for me.

Then I heard people were having 'No Issues" using an iPhone 6S Plus. So I bought an iPhone 6S Plus.

Guess what? Yup...... same problems!!

I have given up on the Aircraft Orientation Indicator.

What I now do is I open the map screen (bottom left) one tap, so it is open to its small size, and I use that indicator to orient the drone to myself. If needed, I can open the map to full screen.

No issues whatsoever regarding any RTH features, or anything else.

Are there any other components producing magnetic fields? I can't think of any.
It might be noted, if you are using an Apple Ipad, that Apple mounts several strong magnets on the periphery of the Ipad, used for attaching keyboards and protective covers. take a small magnet (a small compass) and suspend it on a string around your Ipad to see where they are. The Pro model also sports a number of speakers, which utilize magnets to work with the voice coil.

Reactions: Thomas B
It might be noted, if you are using an Apple Ipad, that Apple mounts several strong magnets on the periphery of the Ipad, used for attaching keyboards and protective covers. take a small magnet (a small compass) and suspend it on a string around your Ipad to see where they are. The Pro model also sports a number of speakers, which utilize magnets to work with the voice coil.

Right, but those are on the iPad and so if they were interfering with the compass it would happen without it being attached to the RC.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu