DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini signal strength boosters?

Stupid question ...If I get the dual SR unit can I set up for 2.4Ghz but if for example I later flip my Mavic Pro/Mini controller over to 5.8Ghz mode (with one of the variously discussed hacks or simply when travelling abroad), would I need to swap out or change anything in the hardware set up aswell? You mentioned different sized antennas earlier.

Is a separate amplifier needed for each mode or does the one amplifier simply boost power to whatever signal freq. is selected by controller?

Stupid question ...If I get the dual SR unit can I set up for 2.4Ghz but if for example I later flip my Mavic Pro/Mini controller over to 5.8Ghz mode (with one of the variously discussed hacks or simply when travelling abroad), would I need to swap out or change anything in the hardware set up aswell? You mentioned different sized antennas earlier.

Is a separate amplifier needed for each mode or does the one amplifier simply boost power to whatever signal freq. is selected by controller?

As I understand it the USA version of the 4hawks has the 2.4ghz antenna removed which freed up room to put the larger XR 5.8ghz antenna in it instead.

So the CE version has both antennas in it for 2.4 and 5.8 but the 5.8 antenna is smaller.
I think you would need the proper amp but there's a dual band one as well:

Look at the photos, one has someone who's rigged them up to a controller.

Reactions: MavicNovice
As I understand it the USA version of the 4hawks has the 2.4ghz antenna removed which freed up room to put the larger XR 5.8ghz antenna in it instead.

So the CE version has both antennas in it for 2.4 and 5.8 but the 5.8 antenna is smaller.
I think you would need the proper amp but there's a dual band one as well:

Look at the photos, one has someone who's rigged them up to a controller.
Ah! Of course, the space within the unit itself - that's what you were referring to with the antennas - my bad!
You've been a great help, thanks again!

This showed up in my suggested videos a few days ago. It's a couple of years old and is about the Mavic Air but maybe it will work for the Mini.

This showed up in my suggested videos a few days ago. It's a couple of years old and is about the Mavic Air but maybe it will work for the Mini.

yes. I started out with one of those. They are $8.00 on eBay and they work well! From my tests in suburbia, they performed nearly as well as a stock 4hawks antenna (unboosted).

yes. I started out with one of those. They are $8.00 on eBay and they work well! From my tests in suburbia, they performed nearly as well as a stock 4hawks antenna (unboosted).

The point of the video is he tried those then he tried a simple piece of aluminum foil and got much better results. :)

I've been interested in boosting the signal strength of my Mini. Best I can get is 2000M before I lose the video feed on the stock controller antennas. I've watched tons of videos, write-ups and reviews on the subject of range extenders with very mixed results and varying conclusions. Case in point is the tin foil range extender video versus other various videos posted..

This is just me but I don't feel comfortable ripping apart my controller and installing aftermarket antennas or throwing out major amounts of dollars on amplifiers either. All that aside, one review or test I would like to see is flying a Mini out to maximum range until the signal is lost and then installing a set of clip-on type range extenders to see if it immediately makes a difference. In all the videos, or tests that I have watched or read about a comparison done in this manner wasn't done. It would make a test more accurate IMO.

All that aside, one review or test I would like to see is flying a Mini out to maximum range until the signal is lost and then installing a set of clip-on type range extenders to see if it immediately makes a difference. In all the videos, or tests that I have watched or read about a comparison done in this manner wasn't done. It would make a test more accurate IMO.

I would like to see that too.

Reactions: Len750
Get some. They are only $10.00 and the definitely work. I started with those and it doubled my range. In fact they worked almost as good as my unboosted 4hawks antenna. You will not be disappointed.
Which range extenders are $10.00 that the OP is talking about? Living in Arizona so I do have an area of great reception.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne